Jump to content

Throwback Thursday - A105Q/Abitibi Region/Isolated or Remote Riding


revrnd
 Share

Recommended Posts

In 2008 we took our only foray into Quebec. We staged @ New Liskeard, rode across Lake Temiscaming to Notre-Dame-du-Nord then up to Amos via Rouyn-Noranda. The next day we headed west & arrived in Cochrane. I know from reports on DT, QR & elsewhere plus talking to other riders that there are more remote sections of trail in Quebec, but in a way the stretch from La Reine to Low Bush River felt like the most isolated ride I had been on. Over the years I've ridden thru Hornepayne, Longlac & Manitouwadge (even doing the Greenstone Loop).

I guess part of it knowing that there isn't much in that area near Abitibi adds to it.

Did anyone here make the trip across A105Q before it was closed & what would you say is the most riding location that you've done in Quebec?

Edited by revrnd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Swisha north gets pretty remote on 386.  160 km seeing nothing but lakes and the odd hunting outfitter that's closed for the winter.  It's 200 km from Swisha to Temiscaming.  Haven't made the trip yet, but heading east from Val D'or towards Clova also looks to be quite remote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Revrnd. Glad to see you have posting here. Signfan is right. The trip from Swisha ( Rapides des Joachims) up43 and 386 to La Verendrye is remote and not near as many sleds as Cochrane to La Reine used to see. Even from Verendrye on up to to the top of the reserve is pretty remote although better trail and more sleds. Louvicourt east of Val D'or to Lac St. Jean is very remote most of the way and not highly travelled. They would be the most remote that I have been on in Quebec but I'm sure there are more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Signfan said:

Swisha north gets pretty remote on 386.  160 km seeing nothing but lakes and the odd hunting outfitter that's closed for the winter.  It's 200 km from Swisha to Temiscaming.  Haven't made the trip yet, but heading east from Val D'or towards Clova also looks to be quite remote.

I've noticed that on the FCMQ map. I think Parent is in the middle of nowhere too. Makes the stretches we run in northern Ontario look suburban LOL.  

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Hi Revrnd. Glad to see you have posting here. Signfan is right. The trip from Swisha ( Rapides des Joachims) up43 and 386 to La Verendrye is remote and not near as many sleds as Cochrane to La Reine used to see. Even from Verendrye on up to to the top of the reserve is pretty remote although better trail and more sleds. Louvicourt east of Val D'or to Lac St. Jean is very remote most of the way and not highly travelled. They would be the most remote that I have been on in Quebec but I'm sure there are more.

Thanks. I had just popped over to the A-T sub-forum to see if there was any activity. I don't post much here as I haven't much recent to add. I'm pretty active over on the Ontario portion of DooTalk.

2 hours ago, zrtkat said:

Revrnd I remember riding the A105q I remember lots of straight trails and nothing around for Miles it was a great trail miss it when they closed it . It made a nice loop .

Zrtkat and Crew 

👍 If it hadn't been open back then I doubt we would've made the trip. I think people from southern Ontario are more likely to ride that region if they can ride in @ 1 location & out another.. Too bad that the A110Q doesn't seem to hold a lot of importance. It's like neither federation wants the other's riders to visit the other province. Mind you when I rode B101Q back in 2020 to the Ottawa River both sides were well groomed.

Edited by revrnd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, revrnd said:

In 2008 we took our only foray into Quebec. We staged @ New Liskeard, rode across Lake Temiscaming to Notre-Dame-du-Nord then up to Amos via Rouyn-Noranda. The next day we headed west & arrived in Cochrane. I know from reports on DT, QR & elsewhere plus talking to other riders that there are more remote sections of trail in Quebec, but in a way the stretch from La Reine to Low Bush River felt like the most isolated ride I had been on. Over the years I've ridden thru Hornepayne, Longlac & Manitouwadge (even doing the Greenstone Loop).

I guess part of it knowing that there isn't much in that area near Abitibi adds to it.

Did anyone here make the trip across A105Q before it was closed & what would you say is the most riding location that you've done in Quebec?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 2007 or 08 my son and i rode out of LA Sarre on a trail going north to Matagami.  I remember stopping at a truck turn around at the end of a road to get gas and the gentleman seemed very surprised to see us. He told us that the groomer had went thru a week before. Sounded good to us but I believe that the groomer was the only vehicle that had been on the trail in weeks.  I remember sticks in the trail about 12 inches high. I also remember the wolf tracks on the trail.  It was a long ride, maybe 90 miles., to gas. My kid did find a moose shed on the trail we brought home.  It was a long ride and I don't know to this day if we worried more about the wolf's or running out of gas. I don't remember the trail number but I do remember that the trail was closed the year or 2 later. I think others on here can also remember the trail number and how truly in the bush you were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

In 2007 or 08 my son and i rode out of LA Sarre on a trail going north to Matagami.  I remember stopping at a truck turn around at the end of a road to get gas and the gentleman seemed very surprised to see us. He told us that the groomer had went thru a week before. Sounded good to us but I believe that the groomer was the only vehicle that had been on the trail in weeks.  I remember sticks in the trail about 12 inches high. I also remember the wolf tracks on the trail.  It was a long ride, maybe 90 miles., to gas. My kid did find a moose shed on the trail we brought home.  It was a long ride and I don't know to this day if we worried more about the wolf's or running out of gas. I don't remember the trail number but I do remember that the trail was closed the year or 2 later. I think others on here can also remember the trail number and how truly in the bush you were.

That was the 396 back then that you are talking about. There was a place that sold gas back then it was a logging camp or something like that on the La Sarre side of the trail. as I remember. Lots of sticks poking through the trail when we were there too. Did not see wolf tracks but saw Mom and a baby moose that we got to check out for quite a while. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, iceman said:

That was the 396 back then that you are talking about. There was a place that sold gas back then it was a logging camp or something like that on the La Sarre side of the trail. as I remember. Lots of sticks poking through the trail when we were there too. Did not see wolf tracks but saw Mom and a baby moose that we got to check out for quite a while. 

Another thing I remember was there was a beaver pond there and for some reason I think the beavers built their dam on or close to the trail. Anyway when the trail was groomed they groomed right on top of the dam. Also the beavers house had to 15 feet high.  I trapped beavers and I never seen a house that huge before. 

  It was , and I admit, the scariest ride I think we were ever on. We felt we were truly in a place we shouldn't be after we got to Matagami. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree great trail. When we rode it there was a spot that dropped off sharply. That was an oh shit moment when you were moving. Next time we came through there was a large warning sign. Likely as the earlier ride there were sled parts along the bottom section. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...