Joliette/St-Donat/Black Mountain pics ride-report 4/2/2023

towing

Here's the ride we did on Sunday February 4, 2023

carte_qpgMpGg5iQZySC1BmrerHo.jpg

Here in the fields near my home

DJI_0002.JPG

We tried the brand new #345 trail path to St-Félix de Valois which had been closed for several years due to a loss of right of way in Notre Dame de Lourdes sector and also in the village of St-Félix de Valois the urbanization had taken over the old route which was no longer possible to use. The new trail connects St-Thomas/Ste-Élisabeth via the east side of #131road to St-Félix.  Here next to Benny in the fork south of St-Félix.

DJI_0010.JPG

The trail goes around the village of St-Félix on the east side to connect with the old trail north of St-Félix near the small narrow bridge which connects the Guillaume Tell snowmobile club in St-Félix and the St-Gabriel de Brandon Snowmobile club

DJI_0012.JPG

There is a bit of roadside and shared trail but it is still a great realization for the St-Félix snowmobile club to have succeeded in making this new acces of 15kms to connect south/north... personally I was no longer believed it! I take my hat off to them!

Here on the Black River in St-Jean de Matha near Gero Brp dealer

DJI_0021.JPG

We went up the #63 trail, passed through Coin Lavigne in St-Côme and went up the #33 trail towards St-Donat. The mountain just before arriving was frosty like I had never seen it

DJI_0079.JPG

DJI_0086.JPG

There is a new meal option in St-Donat, a St-Hubert! we had our lunch there, it's just a counter with a small dining room but it was full and we had good, fast service and there's a gaz station just in front to feed the BRPs!

DJI_0094_aTzEL4tcQs7Hvuc47pgM41.JPG

We then took Lake Archambault to go towards the Montagne Noire

DJI_0103.JPG

In the middle of the lake there was a big puddle of slush with a snowmobile deeply stuck in it... When in doubt, throttle out!

202402-06-0.png

Unfortunately the Black Mountain area was under clouds when we arrived there. The rising trail scenery was heavily painted with snow

DJI_0126.JPG

DJI_0135.JPG

Once on the top was just as beautiful, too bad we didn't have the sun

20240204_143516.jpg

But the gray jays were there as usual

DJI_0191.JPG

DJI_0219_naatToyfPbuZJApKpHHzXr.JPG

Having still a good run to do to return home we continued towards #33 south

DJI_0255.JPG

And here on Lake Esterelle

DJI_0262_pMzNGEVuw1WXuB3V5crzYS.JPG

I didn't remember how winding and mountainous the #33 section south of Estérel was, a real roller coaster with a zipper! We felt the snow cover a little thinner when we reached St-Calixte. We took a break in St-Lin to then have our dessert at the driving level with beautiful long fast fields towards the south.

As weird luck would have it, we crossed #125 road just few minutes before a fatal accident occurred there, a snowmobile with 2 people have been hit by a car at the road crossing giving no chance to the 2 sledders, we found this out the next morning in the news. On the ride we just seen the police cars on flashes going up towards St-Esprit on #158 while we were just a few kms away near St-Alexis(next village). From what we read, it was the 3rd sled of a group of 4 and some people told the icy trail approach to the road may had contribute to the accident. The 2 peoples were a couple that now leave a 9 years old child orphaned. Road crossing are no joke guys, be double careful when you cross them... this kind of impact rarely forgive.... Sympathies to the affected families and friends

We were finally back home at 7:30 p.m. with 359km on the dreameter. It's ultimately a pretty big ride, not just in terms of mileage but also several winding, less rolling trail sections. We left at 8:30 in the morning and did a good ride. Good conditions overall with the cold we had during the night before and the majority of trails which were freshly groomed.

We closely watch the forecast for the next weekend, hoping for the best!

Alain