Bombardier tells U.S. retailers not to sell to Canucks looking for deals

formula rob

Interesting stuff, I can understand both sides, unfair? yes but! lets say they allowed it, and everyone starts buying sleds from the states.

What happens to all the dealers north of the border? do they start to loose enough to where they say screw it and close there doors.

Then when we have a breakdown in Canada, will there be parts available.

This is looking at it from that point of view, and there are many ways the subject can be debated. =@ somethings gotta give...

Not to change the subject because there is a thread on it already but, I read the other day that some are saying the US dollar is still over valued and the Cad dollar is under valued. :wacko:

Interesting stuff, I can understand both sides, unfair? yes but! lets say they allowed it, and everyone starts buying sleds from the states.

What happens to all the dealers north of the border? do they start to loose enough to where they say screw it and close there doors.

Then when we have a breakdown in Canada, will there be parts available.

This is looking at it from that point of view, and there are many ways the subject can be debated. =@ somethings gotta give...

Not to change the subject because there is a thread on it already but, I read the other day that some are saying the US dollar is still over valued and the Cad dollar is under valued. :wacko:

Yeah, 4 yrs ago I bought machines in QC and had them delivered to my House in NH for far less money than they were selling down here. I love how our Governments have bought into the free mkt economy, but when Joe Q citizen wants to save a few bucks and shop elsewhere, they wont allow it. Prices for virtually everything in Canada should be 40% lower than 3 yrs ago based on the C$ value, but it sounds to me like nothings changed at all, and when you take your high value currency elsewhere they wont allow it... Can you say TEA PARTY???!!!

Yeah, 4 yrs ago I bought machines in QC and had them delivered to my House in NH for far less money than they were selling down here. I love how our Governments have bought into the free mkt economy, but when Joe Q citizen wants to save a few bucks and shop elsewhere, they wont allow it. Prices for virtually everything in Canada should be 40% lower than 3 yrs ago based on the C$ value, but it sounds to me like nothings changed at all, and when you take your high value currency elsewhere they wont allow it... Can you say TEA PARTY???!!!

Ditto!! I purchased my 2001,2002,& 2204 machines all in Canada and I saved big. Now the tables are "turned" completely around. Our friends to the north are getting Fu*%ed!

George Bush is to blame for all this!!!!!!

I work at a BRP dealer in NH. Last week we had 2 Can-Am 650 MAX atv's and 2500.00 worth of accessories sold to a couple from NS. and then we get a fax from BRP saying NO NO. We had to back out of the deal.

I can see the Canadian dealers issue, but if the canadian dollar is as high as the american dollar, Why in hell is the retail still $3000.00 higher than the U.S. retail????

4 years ago I wanted to buy my sleds in Quebec. At that time I was trading every year and my reason was so I didn't have to trailer my sled back and forth. At that time the dealer said he would be willing to do it. We made the deal and a couple of days later I go into his place and he told me SD said NO CAN DO. I was told by him that SD said only way we could do it was if my sled had been totaled while riding in Quebec. So I guess it works both ways. Now I do know a US citizen who was buying his new sled in Quebec. I asked him how he was able to do it. He said he had a Quebec address. From where I set that is being dishonest and it usually comes back to bite you. I bet he isn't buying in Quebec any more with the dollar at par and the difference in prices between the US and Canadian sleds.

I think in todays world, all goverments just want to suck our pockets dry.

They want us to go to work, stay home and give them all our hard earned cash, Thanks GB!

This does not seem to be a government issue. Seems to be a corporate issue. I have not heard of any rules saying you can't legally do it right? BRP could choose to make it even if they wish.

is the canadian dollar higher or more likely the american dollar weaker, who should make the adjustment? I hope our retail doesn't jump $3000.00

thats what gets missed, BRP builds in C$ and so there still bringing in 13,000 C$ on their canadian sales but on a US sled they are only getting $9975 instead of the C$12,000 they budgeted for. With the US being the bigger market it's not a matter of lowering the Canadian prices but raising US prices but they can't do that when the 2 biggest competitors are building in the states. Only sled company making more off the Canadians is Cat and Poo who build in the US but instead of getting back $11,000 USD from a Canadian $13,000 sale they are getting C$13,300. Poo and Cat might be able to gain some market share in the states next year when Doo's forced to raise prices if the C$ stays up there.

This does not seem to be a government issue. Seems to be a corporate issue. I have not heard of any rules saying you can't legally do it right? BRP could choose to make it even if they wish.

True. I should have said, corporate Amercia as well as the Gov.

Everything is being made in China even all the Ski-Doo clothing now just to mention one thing.

Not to bash Ski-Doo, because to me they are #1 but, the quality of the stuff is not as good as is was a few years back.

If China is so much cheaper why is the prices of everything still going up. (because the market can get it, as long as we all keep on buying)

Before we know it, all the sled's will be made in China, and the big 4 will layoff most of there workforce and the prices will still go up.

Thanks GB again.

A lot of the price difference is just the companies charging what they think the market will bear. For years, we in Canada, were led to believe that higher price was a result of our less valued dollar. We now can see that while some of the price difference was a result of the lower dollar, a lot of the difference was simply our willingness to pay the higher price thinking it was all attributal to the dollar and not realizing we were simpy being taken advantage of.

I bought a 1999 Formula III 700 back in the fall of 1998 from a dealer in Quebec. At that time with the exchange rate at about 1.55 it was about $1,100.00 less expensive getting it in Canada. The only thing was Ski-Doo would not honor the warranty. That is probably why the US dealers won't sell Ski-Doo's to Canadian citizens.

I didn't care because the dealer said he would do any repairs at cost if something went wrong during the warranty period. I trusted the dealer and the sled was great. The only thing that went wrong during the warranty period was a bent track clip that damaged one of the sliders. I took it to the dealer and he did the repair for just the cost of the new slider, no labor.

That was a great touring machine and got great gas mileage. Of course a couple of years later they stopped making that engine. :sorry: My wife absolutely loved it. :good:

Mark :drinks:

I think they should let the Canadians buy all the sleds we want in the US. Yes I agree it would hurt Canadian dealer not getting the sale, however you would still go back to your local dealer for warranty service and accessories. The dealers get all the warranty work where with an older sled you might do it yourself. At the end of the day I'll bet the Canadian dealers would make as much or more money than US dealer did on the sale. With sales slumping with all 4 OEM it suprises me that they have taken this approach. Why not let the sale happen, but promote the local dealer for parts, service, and accessories.

I think they should let the Canadians buy all the sleds we want in the US. Yes I agree it would hurt Canadian dealer not getting the sale, however you would still go back to your local dealer for warranty service and accessories. The dealers get all the warranty work where with an older sled you might do it yourself. At the end of the day I'll bet the Canadian dealers would make as much or more money than US dealer did on the sale. With sales slumping with all 4 OEM it suprises me that they have taken this approach. Why not let the sale happen, but promote the local dealer for parts, service, and accessories.

That makes sense, good point smclelan!

Trouble is I think BRP pays next to nothing for warranty work too....