Trip report 11/30/11 to 2/3/11

600IQHO

1/30. We arrived at the Cabanon around 4 pm on Sunday. After checking in and purchasing trail permits, we decided to do a short evening shakedown run and have dinner at Real Masse. We took the 345 S. to Reals and then 350 to 63 to 33 and then local trail back. Trails where choppy as expected after the weekend with some icy corners and thin conditions in some places. A quick 47 miles and the rebuilt 600 ran very well.

1/31. I decided to try a round trip La Tuque run. -20F in the morning. we took the 345 to the dam on a freshley groomed trail. Then we took 360 east to Mattawin this trail was choppy with some icy corners. We took the 355 to 73 to La Tuque, these 2 trails where fair to good with quite a few exposed rocks that the groomer pulled up. In fact a lot of trails are in this state due to lack of snow. We ate at (I think) Motel Le Gite. Rode into La Tuque for fuel and returned the same route. 293 miles for the day.

2/1. Headed for Clova, took 318 to St Michel and toook the short cut across the lake, came back out on 33 and I hate to say it but it was like riding tugg hill for about 8 miles. Where the 33 and 360 meet 33 was groomed wide and fast all the way to Repo. This might have been the best section of trail all week. We took 33 from Repo until we got to 13 and took 13 north to 100 Lacs for lunch. When we left 100 Lacs a 2011 renegade was pulled into the parking lot. Took a pretty good hit! Not enough body work left to tell the exact model. 13 N. after 100 Lacs was not groomed and this section was very twisty and narrow for the most part, did not enjoy this section of trail. We then arrived at 83 and decided to head west to Clova without going to Parent for fuel. For some reason our 600 CFI's are getting e-tech like fuel mileage and I am not sure why, but I will take it. The last 7 miles to Clova the road was plowed and they tried to groom a new trail off the side of the road, this was not good they needed a bush hog first! We stuck to the road, no sand! We stayed at the Tamarack and met the new owners. Very nice couple they speak perfect english and the home cooking was excellent. We also met 10 guys from NY, they actually left from the Cabanon also a couple days earlier, nice group of people. I reccomend a night there if you are in the area. Make reservations so you get one of there (good) rooms. 284 miles for the day.

2/2. Backtracked 83E to Parent, after Parent ther seemed to be several rerouts to avoid the plowed road, and again some brush sticking up in the middle of the trail. A few miles from 369, 83 got a lot better. We then took 369 south to Casey, after Casey trail was wide and fast. We took the trail toward Kanawata as the snow started to fall. Had lunch and then headed back on 369 to Repo, I thought! 369 came out 28KM south of Repo. Decided not to head to Repo for fuel and we gambled that we could make it all the way back. With our good fuel mileage this week it seemed like good idea. With all the fresh snow piling up it would turn out to be closer than I would of liked. Took 345 S to 360 to the dam. At the dam both of our fuel gauges where flashing low fuel with 25 miles to go. Past the groomer on the way back and we actually made with about 2 gallons left. 280 miles.

2/3. We ended up with about 8 inches of fresh white gold the evening before. All the exposed rocks had been covered and groomers where out at night and conditions had improved. We left in the Morning for the "POT" as we had Polaris factory Demo ride booked. We took 345 to 350 to 63 to 343 and then local trail to 33 and that is where we hit that section Alain had reported that was plowed. We then took 341 at Coin Lavigne to 63 to 310 and back to 33 to the Pot. All trails good with fresh powdery snow and I hit very few rocks except the plowed section of 33. The Polaris people where very informative and polite. I headed out on a 600 proR and the wife took a 600LX. The rep leading the group us 11 test riders and 3 Polaris employees did not mess around I was at times hitting speeds over 80 mph, they really wanted us to put these things to the test. Once these sleds are set up for you they are absolutely incredible the way they handle, no sled with a tunnel can compare to them. Any way after the test ride we headed north on 33 to St. Michel, after about 20 miles my sled just shut off. Started it back up it was running on 1 cylinder at Idle but not under power very strange, seems to be an electrical issue, did some very strange things on the way back. In St Michel we took 318 back to the Cabanon. 215 miles including demo ride.

Overall conditions where good, very succesful week for us as we got our first saddle bag trip in. Even though it was just one night it was a start. We ended up with 1119 miles in just a little over 4 days.

Hi Dave, sounds like you had an excellent trip! Hopefully you can diagnose you engine problem it's always a little scary when you get better than expected fuel or oil mileage. I know years ago my first trip with my Viper had me dumping injector oil in the gas tank because I thought something was wrong. I saw you were not too impressed with 13 I never liked that trail either and we usually try to avoid it. By the sound of your post I think you may have already found your next sled. :good:

Nice trip!

Funny you say that about Tug Hill. A couple weeks ago I was in the same area as you and at one point I stopped and asked my buddy, "Where we staying tonight, Flat Rock or Montague???!!!"

Wow!! you did big miles 600IQHO :good:

I highly suspect your actual sled to be a female... seeing you flirting with some beautiful younger specimens triggered uncontrolled reprisals actions :p

I always enjoy to read trip reports, seems you had a very nice trip B)

:drinks:

Alain

HA! Thats funny. Actually I only have the chance to ride Quebec 1 time this year! So I tried to make the most of it. The wife followed behind every mile also! I did kiss the old girl goodbye at the end of the week, she will be traded in a couple of weeks! Oh, I'm trading the sled not the wife!

1/30. We arrived at the Cabanon around 4 pm on Sunday. After checking in and purchasing trail permits, we decided to do a short evening shakedown run and have dinner at Real Masse. We took the 345 S. to Reals and then 350 to 63 to 33 and then local trail back. Trails where choppy as expected after the weekend with some icy corners and thin conditions in some places. A quick 47 miles and the rebuilt 600 ran very well.

1/31. I decided to try a round trip La Tuque run. -20F in the morning. we took the 345 to the dam on a freshley groomed trail. Then we took 360 east to Mattawin this trail was choppy with some icy corners. We took the 355 to 73 to La Tuque, these 2 trails where fair to good with quite a few exposed rocks that the groomer pulled up. In fact a lot of trails are in this state due to lack of snow. We ate at (I think) Motel Le Gite. Rode into La Tuque for fuel and returned the same route. 293 miles for the day.

2/1. Headed for Clova, took 318 to St Michel and toook the short cut across the lake, came back out on 33 and I hate to say it but it was like riding tugg hill for about 8 miles. Where the 33 and 360 meet 33 was groomed wide and fast all the way to Repo. This might have been the best section of trail all week. We took 33 from Repo until we got to 13 and took 13 north to 100 Lacs for lunch. When we left 100 Lacs a 2011 renegade was pulled into the parking lot. Took a pretty good hit! Not enough body work left to tell the exact model. 13 N. after 100 Lacs was not groomed and this section was very twisty and narrow for the most part, did not enjoy this section of trail. We then arrived at 83 and decided to head west to Clova without going to Parent for fuel. For some reason our 600 CFI's are getting e-tech like fuel mileage and I am not sure why, but I will take it. The last 7 miles to Clova the road was plowed and they tried to groom a new trail off the side of the road, this was not good they needed a bush hog first! We stuck to the road, no sand! We stayed at the Tamarack and met the new owners. Very nice couple they speak perfect english and the home cooking was excellent. We also met 10 guys from NY, they actually left from the Cabanon also a couple days earlier, nice group of people. I reccomend a night there if you are in the area. Make reservations so you get one of there (good) rooms. 284 miles for the day.

2/2. Backtracked 83E to Parent, after Parent ther seemed to be several rerouts to avoid the plowed road, and again some brush sticking up in the middle of the trail. A few miles from 369, 83 got a lot better. We then took 369 south to Casey, after Casey trail was wide and fast. We took the trail toward Kanawata as the snow started to fall. Had lunch and then headed back on 369 to Repo, I thought! 369 came out 28KM south of Repo. Decided not to head to Repo for fuel and we gambled that we could make it all the way back. With our good fuel mileage this week it seemed like good idea. With all the fresh snow piling up it would turn out to be closer than I would of liked. Took 345 S to 360 to the dam. At the dam both of our fuel gauges where flashing low fuel with 25 miles to go. Past the groomer on the way back and we actually made with about 2 gallons left. 280 miles.

2/3. We ended up with about 8 inches of fresh white gold the evening before. All the exposed rocks had been covered and groomers where out at night and conditions had improved. We left in the Morning for the "POT" as we had Polaris factory Demo ride booked. We took 345 to 350 to 63 to 343 and then local trail to 33 and that is where we hit that section Alain had reported that was plowed. We then took 341 at Coin Lavigne to 63 to 310 and back to 33 to the Pot. All trails good with fresh powdery snow and I hit very few rocks except the plowed section of 33. The Polaris people where very informative and polite. I headed out on a 600 proR and the wife took a 600LX. The rep leading the group us 11 test riders and 3 Polaris employees did not mess around I was at times hitting speeds over 80 mph, they really wanted us to put these things to the test. Once these sleds are set up for you they are absolutely incredible the way they handle, no sled with a tunnel can compare to them. Any way after the test ride we headed north on 33 to St. Michel, after about 20 miles my sled just shut off. Started it back up it was running on 1 cylinder at Idle but not under power very strange, seems to be an electrical issue, did some very strange things on the way back. In St Michel we took 318 back to the Cabanon. 215 miles including demo ride.

Overall conditions where good, very succesful week for us as we got our first saddle bag trip in. Even though it was just one night it was a start. We ended up with 1119 miles in just a little over 4 days.

Thanks for sharing....I agree with you about the TQ 13 north of the 100 lacs.Twisty and narrow.It is the same type of trail from JB Scott to Lunic.Too bad they rerouted the 13 to Parent.I miss the old route going thru fer à cheval.The worst part is we will ride this trail again thursday...but I know a cold one is waiting for me at the Central.

HA! Thats funny. Actually I only have the chance to ride Quebec 1 time this year! So I tried to make the most of it. The wife followed behind every mile also! I did kiss the old girl goodbye at the end of the week, she will be traded in a couple of weeks! Oh, I'm trading the sled not the wife!

The new Polaris Adventure seems like it is right up your alley.

Let us know what they found with your "old"sled.

The new Polaris Adventure seems like it is right up your alley.

Let us know what they found with your "old"sled.

I found a loose ground wire! Seems to have fixed it.