Joliette/St-Donat Black Mountain 9 march 2011

towing

Yesterday Wednesday, Krikri and I have took an holiday to make a ride on St-Donat side from home near Joliette. Here’s the day track…

carte-3.jpg

It was not looking like that in January but the snow cover had increased alot with the many snow/rain mix shots we received in the last weeks. If we had all received in snow, it would have give a 4’ to the ground nearly what they have in the north of Lanaudiere but in the south it result in maybe the half of that in very dense stuff. We can now expect a good sledding month for march…

Here at ride start near home in the south of Lanaudiere

DSC09676-1.jpg

There was very few visibles ice spots, remembering us the last weekend rain…

DSC09678-1.jpg

We rode up to St-Jean de Matha and took the #341 to St-Côme

DSC09684-1.jpg

Good trails in Ste-Béatrix

DSC09686.jpg

All the rivers in St-Jean de Matha, Ste-Béatrix and St-Côme were in winter condition. As we went north, we saw that they really had more snow than us… In fact, near no rain at all in the north

DSC09687.jpg

DSC09697.jpg

We passed St-Côme and continued on the #43 to Notre-Dame de la Merci. Here Val St-Côme ski station in background

DSC09699-1.jpg

Beautiful trail

DSC09700.jpg

It was just bad they do wood transport in this area. We had 1,5 mile to do on this plowed road. At least, we had a narrow clean strip on the side for us. Not so bad because the rest of the trail worth it.

DSC09702.jpg

Edited by towing

The suspended bridge

DSC09704.jpg

The nice wides trails of Notre-Dame de la Merci...

DSC09710.jpg

And we got lunch at la Cuillère à Pot in St-Donat

DSC09718.jpg

The sun unfortunately quit us for the rest of the ride. Here the Archambeault lake, pretty much snow on the lake and some snow drifts

DSC09719.jpg

It was impossible for us to be as near and don’t make the loop to the Black Mountain

DSC09721.jpg

To feed our greedy flying friends

DSC09725.jpg

We took Mont-Tremblant trail to get back. Like a picture worth a thousand words, here’s a pic I took on the 22 january of a table at the park entrance

DSC09746.jpg

And 6 weeks later, it is somewhere under the snow heap!!!

DSC09745.jpg

It was riding great in the park, alot of powder.

DSC09747.jpg

The trees were full of snow there

DSC09750.jpg

Edited by towing

We switched on the #63 to get back passing by Glaciere and we were surprised that the trail was not yet groomed after the last snow.

DSC09754.jpg

But we crossed the groomer farther before St-Zenon junction

DSC09758-1.jpg

We came back with #63 trail freshly groomed and from St-Jean de Matha up home by the same trail as in the morning but recently groomed during the day.

Total 241 miles

Today at home near Joliette, it snowed a part of the night and all the day for a supplementary accumulation between 10” and 12” of snow and the same amounts have been reported in the north of our area. It had now changed to rain/hail here with 0 Celcius. The forecasts give warm temp around the freezing point for the next hours.

With the good cover we now have,it looks very good to have many rides ahead in march…

:drinks:

Alain

Nice trail report Alain. So many of us would still love to be up there riding but we have to work sometime to pay for our sledding.

The spring conditions are some of the best riding. Good trails and not much traffic.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

Alain,

Like you said, it's hard to believe the two pictures of the park entrance. Late January VS. late season, wow. Nice report and pics, as always. Is it me or are there more and more Grey Jays on the mountain over the years? A few years ago there was a couple, this season I counted over half a dozen. The sleds are the diner bell big time.

post-385-093270900 1299885370_thumb.jpg

You're right revct1, I just hope for lower temp... we had just 15mm of rain last night but around 3C today and we will have to wait until sunday to monday night before all freeze back with a -12C. Groomers will probably able to work after that. Right now it is very slushy...

Yes Je me souviens, there are more grey jays than before...

DSC09735.jpg

There are also others spots in lanaudiere where you can see them like in the Mt-Tremblant park or like on this pic of few years ago on #345 trail between the Dam and the repos at the M20 junction. I just stop to talk to my ride partner and we had this surprise...

DSC03512-1.jpg

Not shy at all, he was just waiting for his lunch...

DSC03515.jpg

or maybe he wanted a ride :p

:drinks:

Alain