Trailer shopping

Willys1

I'm currently trailer shopping, it's time to replace my current 2 place clambshell type trailer,I've been researching inline type trailers, ProLine in NH, makes a 7 x16 that i'm considering, are their any QR members out there who have any experience with ProLine trailers?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently trailer shopping, it's time to replace my current 2 place clambshell type trailer,I've been researching inline type trailers, ProLine in NH, makes a 7 x16 that i'm considering, are their any QR members out there who have any experience with ProLine trailers?

Hi Willys1

I have a 21'inline and had the toy carrier two place prior to that. I just did a bunch of research for a couple of friends that were buying trailers and chose to go with the NEO. There are lots of good brands out there for sure. I bought mine two years ago and it is an AMERIlite I believe.

We all went with aluminum, wheels on the outside, drive in and out, top and side vents, extra interior lights, mine is seemless on the exterior, spent a little more on wheels and I have to say its the best money I have spent. I could sleep in it if I wanted.

There are days when I am filling up my truck to tow this thing that I wish I still had my little light 2 place!

I lined mine with the Good year rubber mats from Royal Distributing, the carbides and studs don't even bother it.

Good Luck! You will love this upgrade!

Linda

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/NEO/Snowmobile%20Blowout/STRATHROY/Ontario/5_9056183_20100604104931819/?ms=trailers

There is the price here in Ontario...in case that helps at all.

Edited by lindasledgirl

I have a Rance inline 7 x 12 going on my 6th season & very happy with it.

Hi ray,

You have any promblems with brakes yet? I just had to

Replace the hull set up backing plates,hubs,brakes sucked

Not happy more money. They were rusted so bad it's only

4 years old. A blizzard inline

Hi ray,

You have any promblems with brakes yet? I just had to

Replace the hull set up backing plates,hubs,brakes sucked

Not happy more money. They were rusted so bad it's only

4 years old. A blizzard inline

go on line trailer depot very good prices. I bought marine quality last year for mine

OK !!!!! As you can see i Keep my stuff "MINT" My kids think i'm nuts and they call me OCD overly clean dad lol

ok so what's driving me crazy is how prevent is from happening again. just spent a couple hundred bucks on parts to fix. it piss me OFF angry.gif

Any input is appreciated thanks crazy snow aka ; John drinks.gif

Thanks for your feed back fellow QR members, with the inline type trailers, would you recommend a tandem axle? brakes?also a drive in, drive out? I've got alot of questions as a trailer like this is a major investment, which I intend to keep for up to 10 years, quality components and features go a long way in my book!

With the conditions we tow our trailers in brakes will always be a problem it's just part of the pre season ritual of getting it ready a little never seize at the pivot points helps keep things moving

X2, If lucky I can go 2 winters without replacing them. Alternative is to dissassemble in the spring and give the brakes and hubs a good bath. As stated though they live in the world of salt, sand and cinders. I have a Blizzard, bought it new in 2005 and it has been outstanding. Much better bang for the buck than a Worthington when I was shopping.

Because I live in Sarnia, I tow a lot!! I have about 25,000 towing miles in the last year. I take my trailer in and they do all the maintenance and check everything out for me for under $200 every time. I know you guys can do lots of this stuff yourselves, but for me it makes sense for me to have a professional look at it.

Most use the Dexter axle and brakes, so most can have the same issue.

I see 2 choices work;

1. Replace everything from the backer forward every 2 years.

2. Wash everything really well as often as you can, take the hubs off 1-2 times every year, clean, grease and adjust.

I think most of the damage comes form letting them sit over the summer after being blasted with salt water all winter.

OK !!!!! As you can see i Keep my stuff "MINT" My kids think i'm nuts and they call me OCD overly clean dad lol

ok so what's driving me crazy is how prevent is from happening again. just spent a couple hundred bucks on parts to fix. it piss me OFF angry.gif

25,000 or 2500? 25000 miles towing a year is a TON. Are you towing to the north pole to find snow? Dam, hard to put any miles on the sled with so many in the truck.

Because I live in Sarnia, I tow a lot!! I have about 25,000 towing miles in the last year. I take my trailer in and they do all the maintenance and check everything out for me for under $200 every time. I know you guys can do lots of this stuff yourselves, but for me it makes sense for me to have a professional look at it.

Edited by markusvt

I had my first experience with the brake issue 4 years after I bought my Rance trailer with Dexter axles and breaks. Following year I had to replace another back plate complete with brake shoes, $50. Following 2 years the other two, as I have a dual axle trailer. Just now I replaced both axles, they came complete with backing plates, brakes and bearing, $1050 delivered to me. This is just part of the cost of trailering. My trailer is 10 years old. First 3 years I had it I put on about 4500 miles per year. In the past 7 years I've only put on 800 per year. Over the past 10 years I've spent $1250 or $125 per year. Not very expensive in my mind. Course I did the labor myself.

Seems every year at this time a wee bit of our enthusiasm for the coming snow-season is tempered (slightly, in most cases)by the need to get that nasty old trailer ready for another winter. Funny that we don't appear to enjoy sitting by the side of the road, somewhere twixt Latuque and Lac St-Jean when it's 11PM, winds blowing 45 knots out of the northwest, it's -22F, with a broken-down trailer.

The problems leading up to this have pretty well been covered in this thread. Lazyness with end of last season maitenance when we should have (1) given the undercarriage a good wash down with salt-busting detergent, (2)pulled each wheel and cleaned inside the backing plate and brakes, then sprayed down everything with Corrosion Block, (3)checked bearings and races, and repacked the bearings. Dexter regular duty parts really won't last long in the environment we pull sleds in, without love and care.

Best things for peace of mind and longevity that I've discoverd: (1) Buy marine grade replacement parts for anything you can, when the time comes. They are made to better endure in salty environments. (2) Get you hose bibs! Drill out the appropriate sized hole on the "Inside Wall", (the under-trailer side, not inside the wheel assembly) of the backer plate, tap-in the proper sized female hose fiting, together with plastic screw-in plug. After your last haul of the season, crawl under your trailer with the garden hose (with one of the soap/chemical injecting devices installed, filled with Fantastic of Purple cleaner) screw it into your newly installed hose bib, and flush out the entire inner workings. Let it run for at least 5 minutes, under decent pressure. If you have a hot water hose source available, use hot water. After you do all wheels, let the plugs out for a day or so to let the innards dry out a little. Before you put the plugs back into the bib, spray WD40, using the plastic tube attachment to give you good leverage spraying inside the wheel, and douse 'er down with the WD. (REMEMBER when you hook up to the trailer the first time after this process, to ride your brakes a little for the first mile or so to burn the WD off your shoes (or calipers and disk if you are fortunate enought to have disks on your unit).

Then spray your electrical connector plug liberally with Corrosion Block (give a shot to the plug on your truck, as well).

Or, as so many of us so often do: do nothing. Just hope you have someone along that nite when you are sitting by the side of the road in East Cupcake, QC, who can kick your dumb ass for you when you start bitching and moaning about your broken-down trailer.

timbo

:pardon:

Seems every year at this time a wee bit of our enthusiasm for the coming snow-season is tempered (slightly, in most cases)by the need to get that nasty old trailer ready for another winter. Funny that we don't appear to enjoy sitting by the side of the road, somewhere twixt Latuque and Lac St-Jean when it's 11PM, winds blowing 45 knots out of the northwest, it's -22F, with a broken-down trailer.

The problems leading up to this have pretty well been covered in this thread. Lazyness with end of last season maitenance when we should have (1) given the undercarriage a good wash down with salt-busting detergent, (2)pulled each wheel and cleaned inside the backing plate and brakes, then sprayed down everything with Corrosion Block, (3)checked bearings and races, and repacked the bearings. Dexter regular duty parts really won't last long in the environment we pull sleds in, without love and care.

Best things for peace of mind and longevity that I've discoverd: (1) Buy marine grade replacement parts for anything you can, when the time comes. They are made to better endure in salty environments. (2) Get you hose bibs! Drill out the appropriate sized hole on the "Inside Wall", (the under-trailer side, not inside the wheel assembly) of the backer plate, tap-in the proper sized female hose fiting, together with plastic screw-in plug. After your last haul of the season, crawl under your trailer with the garden hose (with one of the soap/chemical injecting devices installed, filled with Fantastic of Purple cleaner) screw it into your newly installed hose bib, and flush out the entire inner workings. Let it run for at least 5 minutes, under decent pressure. If you have a hot water hose source available, use hot water. After you do all wheels, let the plugs out for a day or so to let the innards dry out a little. Before you put the plugs back into the bib, spray WD40, using the plastic tube attachment to give you good leverage spraying inside the wheel, and douse 'er down with the WD. (REMEMBER when you hook up to the trailer the first time after this process, to ride your brakes a little for the first mile or so to burn the WD off your shoes (or calipers and disk if you are fortunate enought to have disks on your unit).

Then spray your electrical connector plug liberally with Corrosion Block (give a shot to the plug on your truck, as well).

Or, as so many of us so often do: do nothing. Just hope you have someone along that nite when you are sitting by the side of the road in East Cupcake, QC, who can kick your dumb ass for you when you start bitching and moaning about your broken-down trailer.

timbo

:pardon:

Timbo. You hit the nail on the head. Have to take care of our stuff unless you got money to waste.