Your input on clothing please

Greg du Vermont

Vortex sport is once again asking for the input and comments of Quebec Riders on features and preferences to be incorporated into the next generation of snowmobile apparel.

As always, the input and comments of my fellow QR’s is appreciated. Please take a moment to share some thoughts.

Here are a few starter topics, feel free to add your opinions, current clothing gripes…. etc.

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs?

Built in elbow and shoulder padding?

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures?

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper?

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design?

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front?

Is there such a thing as too many pockets?

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest?

Interior snow skirt?

Bold graphics or subtle accents?

Do you prefer a bib or pant design?

Built in knee padding?

Pants with suspenders?

Do XL and XXL bib people find the length to be too long?

Are XL short or XXL short sizes of interest?

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs?

Do you prefer removable glove liners?

Thank you.

Vortex sport is once again asking for the input and comments of Quebec Riders on features and preferences to be incorporated into the next generation of snowmobile apparel.

As always, the input and comments of my fellow QR’s is appreciated. Please take a moment to share some thoughts.

Here are a few starter topics, feel free to add your opinions, current clothing gripes…. etc.

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs?

Built in elbow and shoulder padding? Not really

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures?

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper?

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design? Yes

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front? Yes

Is there such a thing as too many pockets? Yes

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest?No

Interior snow skirt? Not really

Bold graphics or subtle accents?

Do you prefer a bib or pant design? No windshields on sleds today

Built in knee padding? Yes, good for wind on cabless sled designs

Pants with suspenders?

Do XL and XXL bib people find the length to be too long? not on me

Are XL short or XXL short sizes of interest? not for me

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs?Top of the thighs

Do you prefer removable glove liners?No

Thank you.

Good luck

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs? separate

Built in elbow and shoulder padding? sure, if not too much bulk

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures? velcro

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper? large

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design? nope

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front? yes, a bit

Is there such a thing as too many pockets? yes, tiny ones you can't fit anything, or ones that bind when you ride.

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest? nope

Interior snow skirt? yes, must have

Bold graphics or subtle accents? subtle for aftermarket, bold for OEM

Do you prefer a bib or pant design? hybrid

Built in knee padding? yes, must have

Pants with suspenders? yes

Do XL and XXL bib people find the length to be too long? don't need this size, yet.

Are XL short or XXL short sizes of interest? hum.....

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs? thigh

Do you prefer removable glove liners? nope

Edited by markusvt

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs? both

Built in elbow and shoulder padding? no

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures?velcro

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper? smaller

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design? no

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front? YES!!

Is there such a thing as too many pockets? No, and please put one right above the knee for girls for 'paper products'. This is THE most important thing on the girls pants!!

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest? no

Interior snow skirt? no

Bold graphics or subtle accents? bold

Do you prefer a bib or pant design? bib

Built in knee padding? yes please

Pants with suspenders? sure

Do XL and XXL bib people find the length to be too long? yes

Are XL short or XXL short sizes of interest? yes

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs? above the knee and one on the chest inside that seals to keep things warm but not fall out when you take it off.

Do you prefer removable glove liners? no

Thank you.

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs? seperate, Gore XCR on the outside, anyone that thinks its not durable enough has not tried a good quality goretex XCR hiking bib! besides, why put goretex on inner layers, you're simply making a sponge to wear

Built in elbow and shoulder padding? no

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures? light velcro, no need to make the flap like fort knox

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper? flaps suck. Smaller self sealing works great for Arc Teryx severe duty gear!

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design? yes, but not stiff

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front? absolutely, we're sitting down, do the math

Is there such a thing as too many pockets? no, but geek it out with some exterior smaller dedicated type pockets for 2 AA batteries, a pencil, a multitool, single AA LED flashlight, inside secure durable pocket for wallet and passport. Too much stuff in few large pockets and its hard to dig around for specific items.

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest? no

Interior snow skirt? not if its long enough, but a drawstring below belt level would be nice in lieu of a skirt

Bold graphics or subtle accents? subtle, bright colors for safety and visibility to other riders in your group. Yellow and Orange accents work good. blue and red not as noticeable.

Do you prefer a bib or pant design? bib, see Arc Teryx Theta SK for a template :clapping: , except add something across the back straps to keep them from falling down a shoulder.

Built in knee padding? no

Pants with suspenders? bib, not pants, sitting position rules out pants for me on the outer layer

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs? one in the chest, and on each thigh

Do you prefer removable glove liners? no, we use thin windpro, windbloc or windstopper gloves with durable palms inside gauntlets

Here is my personal ultimate wish list: Under the goretex XCR shell goes a windbloc pant then under that a pair of Hot Chilly's. On an extreme cold day I'll add an extra layer (lets say less than -20 all day). Windbloc is the most important piece adjacent to the XCR shell which is not windproof, its waterproof. It can't be windproof if it has to pass water vapor and COLD air!

To go along with the XCR shell, sell a pair of windbloc pants. Maldem mills Windbloc, don't cheat. Its a 3-layer material. But I want 2x that thickness in the thigh, over the knee, and on the butt. Riding PQ all day at speed at -20f and these are the areas that chill out to the bone. Additional layers are still sometimes needed, but they are a pain to put them on and take them off (fleece sticks to fleece making them bunch up), so I prefer to have key areas simply doubled up in one pant. Elastic waists and no zippers anywhere except on pockets. Side zippers and flys are useless on under layers, they bunch up and zippers can fail. Boot cut so they tuck inside boots. XCR goes outside the boot. I asked Beyond Fleece make what I wanted (base price is near $200, and I would have paid dearly for what I want) and they said no to options not listed on their custom build sheet, so I passed. Keep it simple on the Windbloc pant, not too baggy, basic black, no glossy panels, elastic waist and no zippers anywhere except on 2 or 3 pockets. That way they can be worn at night around the hotel or around town when touring where you don't want to have to carry separate clothes for riding vs. dining.

I like the pocket set up on the Klim Valdez parka, but could use the specialty pockets I listed above and a more durable inside secure pocket. Also needs to be longer in the waist and back, and lose the skirt and shoulder pads.

Arc Teryx Theta SV hiking bib shell is truly "amazing" for snowmobiling, simple, durable, cut is pre-bent at the knees, made for mountain climbing/hiking so built for movement. Tough to improve on those except the price (haha). Gore XCR outside = dry butt in any conditions rain or shine.

Thank you.

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs?separate separate [/b]

Built in elbow and shoulder padding? NO

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures? Velcro

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper? largerthe smaller seem to break

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design? Higher

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front? No

Is there such a thing as too many pockets?Yes if you cannot reach them or if they are located that they affect position on the sled

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest? NO

Interior snow skirt? No

Bold graphics or subtle accents? Subtle

Do you prefer a bib or pant design? BIB

Built in knee padding?OK

Pants with suspenders?

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs? YES

Do you prefer removable glove liners? YES

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs? .. jacket Bibs

Built in elbow and shoulder padding?.. Yes

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures?..i like the thumb sock

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper?..w/ flap

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design?.. Yes

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front?.. Yes

Is there such a thing as too many pockets?..Yes , just well placed

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest?..Nope

Interior snow skirt?.. try to keep that at home

Bold graphics or subtle accents?.. smaller

Do you prefer a bib or pant design?..Old school bib

Built in knee padding?.. a must for me

Pants with suspenders?.. YesDo XL and XXL bib people find the length to be too long?.. With some productsAre XL short or XXL short sizes of interest?.. Not for me

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs?..Thigh #1 Chest#2

Do you prefer removable glove liners?.Never

quote name='Greg du Vermont' timestamp='1322686235' post='18393']

Do you prefer the separate shell and liner style or single piece style of jackets and bibs? one piece

Built in elbow and shoulder padding? YES

Do you prefer Velcro or snap storm flap and wrist closures? Velcro

Do you prefer larger zippers with storm flaps or the smaller self sealing type of zipper? either

Do you like the higher rear of neck collar design? yes

Do you prefer the rear of the jacket to be longer than the front? yes

Is there such a thing as too many pockets? NO!!

Do you find floatation capability to be of interest? No...cores if I needed it I would want it then LOL

Interior snow skirt? no

Bold graphics or subtle accents? Subtle ( I get in enough troule without standing out more LOL)

Do you prefer a bib or pant design? Bib

Built in knee padding? Yes

Pants with suspenders? yes

Do XL and XXL bib people find the length to be too long? NEED TALL sizes

Are XL short or XXL short sizes of interest? No

Where do you prefer the pockets to be located on your bibs? everywhere LOL

Do you prefer removable glove liners? no

Thank you.

Edited by Bill

As its still so warm here in Ontario and it's looking like I may still have to cut my lawn one more time, may I revise my answer to something a little lighter. In fact, at this rate, I might just need a sweater!

I was a good girl this year! Where is the snow!!???