Accident Mt Valin

iceman

44 y/o male airlifted to Chicoutimi with open fractures of the femur and arm. Riding on trail its said he hit a stream and was ejected then struck by another snowmobile. Did not say exactly where but i have a good idea if its the spot I am thnking of. I know Scorpionbowl has a pic of one place that is always running still this time of the season and makes a giant hole across the trail. Between Bras Louis and 93. Anyway must have been really bad, very early conditions too be all mashed up this early in season. Could have been much worse then fractures so lucky I guess.

Need to relax a little its only december.

44 y/o male airlifted to Chicoutimi with open fractures of the femur and arm. Riding on trail its said he hit a stream and was ejected then struck by another snowmobile. Did not say exactly where but i have a good idea if its the spot I am thnking of. I know Scorpionbowl has a pic of one place that is always running still this time of the season and makes a giant hole across the trail. Between Bras Louis and 93. Anyway must have been really bad, very early conditions too be all mashed up this early in season. Could have been much worse then fractures so lucky I guess.

Need to relax a little its only december.

Not good-you would think that the local club would mark this washout with stakes.

Like I said not sure of exact location. So not sure if this trail has been "opened by club" yet. Just saying.

Good point-when its early in the season-we all need to slow down a bit-I have had to be creative and cut tree limbs to mark washouts before-as they really do sneek up on you.

Good guess Iceman, I would agree. That spot is not far off the power lines on 267. There's a good chance that's groomed, it usually is this time of year, but that brook always takes a while to freeze up. There are usually sticks in the trail, but some times nothing. I've seen a few guys flip their sleds while trying to cross it. Last year was the first time I couldn't ride through it, the nose of the sled just hit the ice, and the water is about a foot deep. Would have done serious damage if you didn't stop. This pic is after a little work...

IMGP2976a.jpg

Good guess Iceman, I would agree. That spot is not far off the power lines on 267. There's a good chance that's groomed, it usually is this time of year, but that brook always takes a while to freeze up. There are usually sticks in the trail, but some times nothing. I've seen a few guys flip their sleds while trying to cross it. Last year was the first time I couldn't ride through it, the nose of the sled just hit the ice, and the water is about a foot deep. Would have done serious damage if you didn't stop. This pic is after a little work...

IMGP2976a.jpg

wow-shoould freeze up with the cold weather tonight and the extended forecast looks to stay cold-geez by the size of this hole-maybe the club should install a small bridge.

The accident happened 50 miles west of Onatchiway, the man is stabilized in the hospital, air medic probably saved his life. I was at Onatchiway when two guys came in and called 911, the SQ was there in record time, helo was in the air within 20 minutes. I think the SPOT locator would come in handy in these situations. You would not have to wait for someone to run to a phone and make the call, you could hit the button and sit tight. Glad to hear he is OK, lady at the hospital said they operated on Sunday day after he was airlifted in. This is a scary reminder of how fast accidents can happen.

Thanks for the update. Wow so 50 miles west of Onatchiway? Going toward Scooby Raid i guess. Or in the Zec Onatchiway maybe.The air medic is a great deal for 75 bucks for the year. I thought they were bankrupt and shut down. We need to spread the word on Air Medic.Yeah Spot would get the ball rolling so to speak but there is nothng in my opinion better then a Sat Phone. and GPS to give your location of course.Expensive yes, How much would you pay to see another day? What is your life worth? Also if you have a Sat Phone, GPS and or Spot or even a regular cell phone, make sure all the members of your group know how to use them all and know where you keep them. You might not be able to tell them.

Thanks for the update. Wow so 50 miles west of Onatchiway? Going toward Scooby Raid i guess. Or in the Zec Onatchiway maybe.The air medic is a great deal for 75 bucks for the year. I thought they were bankrupt and shut down. We need to spread the word on Air Medic.Yeah Spot would get the ball rolling so to speak but there is nothng in my opinion better then a Sat Phone. and GPS to give your location of course.Expensive yes, How much would you pay to see another day? What is your life worth? Also if you have a Sat Phone, GPS and or Spot or even a regular cell phone, make sure all the members of your group know how to use them all and know where you keep them. You might not be able to tell them.

How good is cell phone reception in this area?

I did not mean the cell phone would have worked in this case here. Way too remote, but there are many areas cell phones will get you help. Not everywhere for sure probably alot less places it would not work then places it will, Sat Phone and done. Oh and carry the number for the emergency services for the regions you will be riding. 911 from the Sat Phone might not be as fast as direct numbers for region you need help in.