The ideal would be 4 gadgets.

SPOT

The Air Medic Beacon

GPS

SAT phone.

Emergency procedure

1. Immediately bush SOS on SPOT & Air Medic beacon

2. Look @ GPS coordinates

3. Use SAT phone to call local emergencies, bear in mind dialing 911 on a SAT phone could be a lengthy process to find the "local" authorities.

Which reminds me, in your emergency bag with over $1000 worth of gadgets, you need a priceless piece of comparatively cheap information. The contact numbers for the local emergency responders, in the area your are riding in.

Bottom line is, when Shannon hit the bridge we were extremely lucky, that the nature of the injuries, although severe, needed no immediate medical attention. Meaning there was no massive bleeding, or imperitive steps to take in order to save her life. I thank the Lord for this almost daily. However, had the injuries required medical attention, administered by a professional, within say an hour of the accident, the story would have had a different ending. My father is an EMT @ the local fire dept, where he is also very involved in the firefighting end of things. I am going to have him show me the proper procedure for tying a turniquet.(SP) to stop hemmorrage bleeding. Also a quick lesson in other common, and useful emergency techniques would be highly appropriate.

One of the things that always stuck in mind was when Greg said, the TNO's have no specific designated response team or plan in place. So say you are riding in a Territoire Non Organizer, Non Organized Territory, many of which have trails, and you get hurt, once you finally get ahold of the authorities, chance are, the first thing they will do is not come to the rescue, but many times they will argue about who is the closest to the scene, and who is responsible to allocate their rescue resources for the day.

This thread has had many useful inputs. Lets keep sharing knowledge, so that as a group, we will collectively gather more and more information, that way each of us can take what we feel to be the appropriate steps towards creating an emergency situation plan.

Also lets all prey we never have to use it.

I have found that time and time again, the phrase: "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have" to be applicable to many of life trials and tribulations.

Now what do we have left? Another 9 months before we can head out again? I really need another passion! Boating sounds like fun, but even more fun when someone else owns the boat. I will pay my share in fuel expense, anyone need a skier to tow this summer? Cheers drinks.gif

post-385-0-69853200-1332982662_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread but it was an interesting one for me, i felt it would be a good idea to have Airmedic coverage so i thought i'd do a little research and share my findings. I was just speaking with an Airmedic customer service agent (450 766-0770) (1 866 673-3838) this afternoon and yes they do speak engish, very well i might add. Airmedic coverage could be purchased for as little as $25.00cdn for a 7 day period or $120.00 annual fee for one adult, this coverage applies only in Quebec, now here's the twist, despite what everyone has been posting i decided to ask the big question "How do i contact Airmedic from a remote area where there is no cell phone service?" The customer service agent told me that there are two options, option 1 : use a satalite phone to call them or option 2 : Using a SPOT device, depress the distress (SOS) button.

I asked if Airmedic has there own beacon device, they told me at this time they do not have one but in the near futur there will be one available as they are working on one to service Airmedic only.

Airmedics customer service agent also told me that with the SPOT device, upon first activation you must program a primary contact phone number (a family member or close friend) who knows that you are an Airmedic member, GEOS will call that number and your contact will advise GEOS that you are an Airmedic member. This is how Airmedic and GEOS are working together.

SPOT device 169.99

SPOT activation fees 99.99/year

SPOT addition insurance coverage for emergency rescue costs 12.95/year for $100 000

Airmedic 7 day coverage $25.00

Airmedic 1 year coverage $120.00

Of course if you are always in a cell phone grid then the 7 day coverage would be fine on a short trip but if your caught off the grid and need help then the SPOT is the necessary tool to couple with an Airmedic membership.

Food for thought guys

Iridium or Globalstar? I've rented one or the other for the season for years and (luckily) never needed it, but recently didn't bother which I know is dumb.

This looks like the best rental rate: https://www.satellitephonestore.com/rent/iridium/

Edited by PLAYHARD