March 2,3,4 Lac Nominingue, Clova, Point David

markusvt

Day 1:

4 of us drove up to Motel Godard in Lac Nominingue. Maybe 2 hours or less out of Montreal, less than an hour to Mont-Laurier. We used to go there a lot, I have not been there since 2000. Our plan was to head out to spend the night at Pourvoirie-Martin on the Resivoir Gouin.

It's maybe 25 miles due north out of Clova on an AWESOME trail. Wow, fresh groomed all the way to Mekoos. OMG has that place changed since 2000. They built onto the place in 2004, and it is huge now, and nice. 5 miles out heading north, my sled dropped a cylinder. We headed back, and they let us used their heated garage and tools. Awesome cause we had to use their soldering iron to repair a connector issue. After a 1.5 hour delay we were up and out of there. Onto 100 Lacs for lunch, awesome! Up to the 83 all was still perfectly groomed.

83 a little bumpy, but not bad. Had to tow the Apex the last 3 miles, it ran out at 116 miles on the clock. Filled them up in Clova, and got to Martin by 6:30 with 284 miles on the day. The cabins were awesome, great showers, wood stove if you wanted it, (we did), and Line (pronounced Lynn) does an awesome meal! Great wireless hook-up there too. Got to park the sleds in the heated garage for the night, awesome!

Day 2:

Started with an unreal breakfast, her home made blueberry sauce and pancakes, yummy. Back down to Clova on a fresh 8 inches of snow, very fun. Gassed them up and decided to ride the famous Lepine road/ Woodrunner trail. Not so nice, too bad cause you are on it for 100 miles. Whooped out, not terrible but annoying when there is SO MUCH snow.

Passed the groomer, but he was making almost no difference. Blades up and going too fast. Oh well. Heavy wet snow, almost rain for a bit before lunch. Lunch at Club Gatineau. Perfect English, said they have received over 6 feet of snow so far, they are ready for summer, again perfect WIFI. We wanted to stay at Rabaska but they were full, so we had reservations at Point David.

Very fun trail to get there. A bit bumpy here and there, but the last 10 miles were like highway! No WIFI, he says by next season. The 4 course dinner was ridiculous, tons of food and awesome, maybe the best desert I ever had in my life!

Breakfast was also multi-course, I am not kidding! I don't need to eat for a week. 5 star accommodations for a 3 star price. We ended the day at 192 miles.

Day 3:

Looked like short way back to the truck was 84 miles, hum, nice sunny day we have to do better than that! We headed out for Devils Mountain. I have not been there since 2000 either.

Wow, the trail system has improved so much! Lot's of ways up and down now, and all groomed to perfection. We would have kissed the groomer guy if we found him, well maybe not. So much snow, may have snow in July I think! We passed back by Mekoos again, this time ate lunch there, very, very good. Maybe 10 miles out came on a black bear in the trail, yup, IN THE TRAIL. We went around him, stopped, went back and snapped a few pictures. I think he is out of his den a bit early!

Back to the truck by 3:30 with 173 miles on the day. Home by 6:30PM.

All in all a very good trip with a mountainous amount of snow. The month of March is looking real good!

Edited by markusvt

Nice trip report, Mekoos has changed alot since the jaberwaky days, Cool shot of the bear, where was that bridge out.

The broken bridge is at the west end of 319... sainte anne du lac area. There is a short detour to a car bridge to go around.

The broken bridge is at the west end of 319... sainte anne du lac area. There is a short detour to a car bridge to go around.

great pictures, thanks for letting us know about the bridge and detour. :clapping:

Back down to Clova on a fresh 8 inches of snow, very fun. Gassed them up and decided to ride the famous Lepine road/ Woodrunner trail. Not so nice, too bad cause you are on it for 100 miles. Passed the groomer, but he was making almost no difference. Blades up and going too fast.

I hear ya...Blades up and going too fast.

I must agree with you.We met the groomer in late january as we were going to clova and he was going south.Same results as you guys. Bumpy corners.The operator has a lot to do when a trail is groomed.