Joliette/Lac Édouard/Rivière à Pierre pics ride-report 1+2 Feb.2014

towing

Because it became hard for us to do more milage in a single day, we decided to add a day to our ride!
Target: to sleep at Lake Edouard in Mauricie from home near Joliette. Here’s the ride path :
carte_zps6986b217.jpg
Saturday morning , sunny -19C . Our friend Steph joined us on the trail near home
DSC01555_zps0a6129fa.jpg
The trail was beautiful recently groomed and with the night cold, very very hard.
DSC01557_zps16ac5f27.jpg
I lowered the scratchers to get some lube and cooling powder for my Venture
DSC01558_zps251dc85f.jpg
It gave very fast trails. Here Krikri trying to block the cold air vents ...
DSC01564_zpsf41c4b51.jpg
The # 3 was just perfect , a true highway
DSC01567_zpsd9d9faa0.jpg
We followed #3 trail except in Louiseville area where we cut through the trail #63 + #350 + #A3 trails allowing us to remain at about the same distance from St-Laurence river while taking the most direct route to go east
DSC01571_zps6bffa777.jpg
Here crossing the St-Maurice river at la Gabelle dam
DSC01581_zps09caa309.jpg
And we arrived at our meeting point on #3trail near Grand-Mère at 10:40. Our buddy Snowcruiser joined us there to share this ride with us
DSC01595_zps5f77fbdf.jpg
We took #351 trail up to St -Tite and head towards St-Joseph de Mekinak. Here the famous river where the trail is slightly diverted after a Dozer took a bath there, end of December ...
DSC01611_zpscffeafa2.jpg

DSC01615_zpsba112948.jpg
We took a short break at this viewpoint not very far on #360 trail.
DSC01627_zps31dde4a5.jpg
When we pass there, there were few icy curves and we had to go carefully. We arrived a little past 12:15 for dinner at St-Joseph de Mékinak
DSC01639_zps8dfcd471.jpg
There were much people at the restaurant and it was a little long . We were not in a hurry and left after having fuel up a bit past 2:00 p.m. Gazoduc direction
DSC01657_zpsb05b48f0.jpg
The clouds were there but the trail was excellent and fast
DSC01659_zps2792ad32.jpg
DSC01665_zpsa470a983.jpg
There was only on the new trail section just before the railway bridge where snow was a little brownish . Big HI to BlackjackRX1 and his group that we meet at this place . They made essentially the same ride as us but from Trois-Rivieres .... we have crossed our path several times during these two days
DSC01674_zps20769e51.jpg
Farther on #355
DSC01679_zps1cb7fa06.jpg
We joined #73 trail that we took to the east. Here close to the junction.
DSC01686_zps6571db4b.jpg
Apart from a couple snow drifts along the lake , the trail was also perfect. It was getting too dark for pics ...
DSC01689_zps9f11eab3.jpg

We arrived at Lake Edouard around 17:00 . We refueled at the new gas station in the village
DSC01712_zps28c3cb2b.jpg
Then we joined our nest for the night, Le Gite d' Édouard
DSC01713_zps912bf519.jpg
Krikri without his snow suit in our little room
DSC01716_zpsb6674eec.jpg
The friendly owner Nicole received us very well. Big Hi! to Paulo, another sledder who spent the night there with whom we had a good talk and we ate the delicious roast beef that Nicole had prepared for us! We continued to socialize all evening while a light snow was falling outside, before enjoying a good night 's sleep in this quiet place.
Sunday morning , after eating the good big breakfast Nicole made for us, we were setting up to start…
DSCN0802_zpsd959bd95.jpg
We had got a 4-5 inches of new snow overnight so we had a little dusting to do before leaving
DSC01724_zpsd928c312.jpg
You can’t go to Lac Édouard without trying the Lake ! So we cut through it and took back the trail after
DSC01743_zpsd28388c6.jpg
Steph and his cat in action
DSC01738_zpsfbfa7dd9.jpg
We took back the trail south
DSC01755_zps2c62f56b.jpg
The decor was extremely snowy
DSC01757_zps2ca4d9e3.jpg
Gorgeous! ...
DSC01758_zpse4d74406.jpg

To change from saturday, instead of keeping on the #355 up to the #73, we took the local trail LT2(orange on the map) which leads directly to the Zec Jeannotte entrance. We had the chance to be the first to hit the new snow ...
DSC01776_zpsaa31b29e.jpg
This trail is on zec road therefore quite fast. Snowcruiser took the lead to enjoy the new snow a bit
DSC01771_zps41b63073.jpg
Then it was our turn to had the pleasure of opening the trail ...
DSC01780_zpsb21f3694.jpg
And we then left Steph spoil his cat ahead us and we took the end of convoy
DSC01794_zps44dcb484.jpg
Too bad the sun was so shy for the there
DSC01791_zpsf68ed300.jpg
DSC01797_zps8732be63.jpg
This is an interesting trail, a little twisty in the last miles before the ZEC entrance, otherwise it’s beautiful
DSC01819_zps2d475ad4.jpg
And we then returned on the #73
DSC01825_zps3686ad6f.jpg
The scenery was just beautiful . Temperature was warmer and with new snow it gave pretty slippery trail conditions ... we stirred a lot of snow Sunday
DSC01848_zpse82f0cea.jpg
DSC01850_zpsf577ee8d.jpg

There was plenty of snow to the ground in this area
DSC01853_zps184b0a83.jpg
DSC01856_zps271e28c0.jpg
The sun came out a bit allowing us to even more appreciate the scenery
DSC01864_zps9a64d94b.jpg
DSC01866_zps43fcaba2.jpg
DSC01874_zpsa2130332.jpg
I put a few more pics of this section, it was really beautiful ...
DSC01882_zps43974547.jpg
DSC01888_zps2dd0b135.jpg
We passed La Marmitte and continued toward Rivière à Pierre
DSC01911_zpsa9717be4.jpg
Where we stopped to refuel
DSC01917_zps214873f1.jpg
We took a last stretch on the #73
DSC01921_zpsf965a707.jpg

DSC01926_zps3ab521be.jpg
and then switched on #353 west . There was a long section where the trail had been plowed before the previous thaw and the trail base was very icy
DSC01933_zpsdc9f92fb.jpg
We stopped at the viewpoint a little further , the hill was particularly tough to do two-up in the big bumps but the view was worth it
DSC01941_zps09f5f775.jpg
I cooled down Krikri in the snowbank
DSCN0806_zps1225fa5e.jpg
Here on the #23 the icy cliffs really worth the look…
DSC01967_zps46138f30.jpg
The view on the river too
DSC01972_zps4bbf64f6.jpg
Here at the #3/#23 junction
DSC01986_zps6237266b.jpg
it riding well in the fields but the snow was very soft
DSC01991_zps008a1b4a.jpg
Here on the old railway track in St –Prosper area
DSC01998_zps7042bcdb.jpg
View of the St-Stanislas village
DSC02009_zpse9a60a0d.jpg

Where we stopped for dinner...
DSC02010_zps8efec573.jpg
After lunch, we did a few miles all together but then Snowcruiser left us to return home, we continued with Steph. The trail was very soft and beated, it was with great pleasure that we met ...
DSC02022_zps044b722e.jpg
We had good stretch ...
DSC02030_zps2ea5ed87.jpg
Until we passed this one ... from there to St-Maurice river was particularly tough
DSC02035_zps42d21da9.jpg
But the west side of St-Maurice was fortunately still in good condition and we had very acceptable conditions up from there, even freshly groomed section in Maskinongé area
DSC02055_zpsa92270c3.jpg
We finally got home a little before 6:00 pm with 440 miles on the dreammeter for the 2 days. A big thank you to our 2 friends Steph and Snowcruiser that went with us again, your good humor brightened our weekend and made this ride even greater for us.
It is in the most beautiful time of the season, everything you would expect is there…enjoy !
Alain

Outstanding Alain, just absolutely outstanding reporting, you should consider sending your reports to "Motoneige en Quebec" magazine.

Thanks for your up to date report of that area, I was just through there last week. At the 73 and LT 1 junction at the Relais I was not sure to take that trail(nice short cut)the paper map showed a solid orange line leading to a dotted orange line so we continued on the 73 to the 355, funny thing is, when we were riding up the 355 to Relais du Trappeur I saw on the gps where the orange trail connected to the 355 there was no signs of grooming but plenty of sled tracks, we did not stop at Trappeur and learned later that LT trail was coming out at the Trappeur.

Keep up the good work

JG

Nice report Alain,I remember years ago leaving Lac Edouard and heading into the Zec pushing about a foot of snow there was 8 of us and only me and 1 other guy made it to the gas we had to shuttle gas back to all the others

Nice Alain...

I love Nicole in Lac Edouard have stayed with her a few times.

Trails look great.

Thanks for another great report.

Thank you Phil! It was the second time we had been there and we had loved our stay as much as the first time. It's a very different experience from others, very nice warmhearted place and Nicole in addition to be a very nice person she's a very very good cook!!!

Outstanding Alain, just absolutely outstanding reporting, you should consider sending your reports to "Motoneige en Quebec" magazine.

Thanks for your up to date report of that area, I was just through there last week. At the 73 and LT 1 junction at the Relais I was not sure to take that trail(nice short cut)the paper map showed a solid orange line leading to a dotted orange line so we continued on the 73 to the 355, funny thing is, when we were riding up the 355 to Relais du Trappeur I saw on the gps where the orange trail connected to the 355 there was no signs of grooming but plenty of sled tracks, we did not stop at Trappeur and learned later that LT trail was coming out at the Trappeur.

Keep up the good work

JG

Not sure it looks like professional stuff but as amateur we are very proud of many pics on this last one... Thank you JG

The only regret from taking the LT2 is that you miss a long section of the #73 Jeanotte trail which is one very nice and fast section... a classic there. I will have to stop at the trappeur next time... never tried...

Nice report Alain,I remember years ago leaving Lac Edouard and heading into the Zec pushing about a foot of snow there was 8 of us and only me and 1 other guy made it to the gas we had to shuttle gas back to all the others

The high and low from after storm rides! Even with the troubles it always give good memories...

Thanks again guys !!!

Alain

We’ve stayed at Goeland many times over the years, but not since Re’jean and the Mrs. closed the kitchen. And we’ve done convenient lunch & gas at Domaine a bunch of times, but never stayed there overnight. I guess we need to check out Gite, but I don’t remember seeing any signage for it on the trail or the lake?

Great call on staying longer, that #355 up Eduard and #73 down to Riviere a Pierre are AWESOME! Like you say "classic". We love that orange that cuts the corner if you don’t need gas in LaTuque, and that LT2 looks like a nice diversion too. And speaking of classic, that “bike-path” section of #353 connecting #73 and #23 is a favorite too.

but Towing... How can you pass Marmite?!? We dream about Clem’s meat-pie all summer!! Maybe it wasn't time for lunch. But the Yammi trunk keeps things warm no?

it's not a big place and Nicole is alone to receive their guest so she told me she's tried to limit at 6 people(max 8)/night. I don't remember neither of signs for her gite on the trail but it is very easy to find: from le Domaine, it's an half mile on the same main road toward the village(north) on the left.

Krikri love those classics stretches where she can take it easy on the back, I like too sometimes but not too much straight... need more action, in vertical direction if possible!

Yes, the marmite...you are absolutely right, but it's Nicole's fault! with her big breakfast we were just barely a bit hungry at 1 pm when we stopped for diner so when we crossed the marmite a 10:30 the meat pie was suddenly seems less attractive... The yammi trunk was already full!! we will have to go back!!

Alain

Pic of sign post from earlier this year.

We ran into Nicole by accident, stopped for directions and ended up staying the night. She has a great setup, you go into basement hang your stuff to dry by a gas stove and go up into her house. Nicole is a GREAT cook...