Joliette/St-Côme/Chertsey photo ride-report 20february2016

towing

Saturday morning, 0C degrees very cloudy with wet snow and a beautiful 6” of new stuff felt during the night! Météomédia forecast nearly 1mm rain for the afternoon so it would be wise to ride north. I had not ride on the west side of my area this season. Going to St-Côme and further west to see the new trail/bridge over the Ouareau river seems a good idea and if it runs well, pushing to St-Donat and Black Mountain then is the plan for the day.

DSC08547_zpsj41ehtqz.jpg

So we took the #43 trail to Joliette. Riding on the very wet new snow, it goes well and the decor is nicely whiten

DSC08551_zpsbdpia7bv.jpg

We then shifted on the #345 towards St-Felix de Valois, the trail base was a little bumpy but the new snow cushion softens the ride.

DSC08553_zpshaiuee72.jpg

The trees are uncommonly loaded, really beautiful

DSC08562_zpskwdjhdge.jpg

DSC08565_zpssaju2g9t.jpg

North of St-Felix, we had forked on the #341 towards St-Jean de Matha. The 6”to 8” of new snow is very sticky. Further south we were in the first to pass in unpacked snow and it was easy to drive but here it was several wavy tracks in the unpacked new snow. Riding 2up in heavy snow is already not easy and even worst my skis work very badly in these snow conditions. We had to slow down and it even dart badly and the rear suspension was packed full of wet sticky snow and works badly. I already know that it would be a low miles day

DSC08578_zpstqlqnbze.jpg

I stop in St-Jean de Matha to fuel up. The snow not just stick in the trees!

DSC08588_zpstzxhp06s.jpg

We then continued northbound

DSC08579_zpszicfmcdh.jpg

DSC08590_zpsticwlobk.jpg

Here the snow was so heavy that when the road snow plower has passed that had knocked down the stop sign... I did my day good action

DSC08589_zpswln177at.jpg

DSC08591_zpsmhm5kt4w.jpg

I was very hesitant to continue and have proposed to Krikri to loop back toward home and ride more on Sunday in easier conditions but she wanted to continue anyway ... what a women want ... So we took #349 trail to St-Côme

DSC08603_zpse6utrnp4.jpg

DSC08612_zpsw8oeba0t.jpg

I adjusted the pace down and it was easier. It was not only snowy but also very very foggy

DSC08618_zpsqmuvmxhs.jpg

DSC08620_zpsng0phfdv.jpg

In wooded sections we feel we were riding in tunnels ...

DSC08626_zpsvf0ekxwx.jpg

DSC08637_zpsscwfriyw.jpg

We took the opportunity to take a break there

DSC08639_zpstg7asabo.jpg

And then continued

DSC08644_zpsrpbcjhzl.jpg

even more snowy and foggy

DSC08649_zpsgkjgxicl.jpg

We finally arrived in St-Côme

DSC08662_zps15jwmb63.jpg

DSC08663_zpsejfpuwo4.jpg

It was 11:20 and we decided to already eat at the old chez Marion restaurant at the entrance of the village that has now become La Marguerite

DSC08664_zpsjnrv7yy2.jpg

We took a very good meal, relaxed a bit and went back on seat around 12:30. Despite our very slow progress, I stick to my plan to see the new Ouareau river bridge.

Wet snow we had in the noon turned into a snow/rain mixture and it was very foggy

DSC08668_zpsj1opdefa.jpg

As seen in the picture, when we went up in altitude, got snow ...

DSC08672_zpsdshyp8bv.jpg

And when we dropped below the clouds we see on the horizon in low altitude, we got wet ...

DSC08688_zpslvqnjeqt.jpg

The trail itself is new, beautiful path but the grooming was not recent. For me to drive, the snow was sufficiently compacted by the others sleds that my snowtrackers did their jobs and it ride well.

DSC08676_zps4mmu4awv.jpg

We finally got there, the new shared bridge to cross the Ouareau river which actually replaces the old one lane suspension bridge more north. This is a nice big solid construction that will surely be good for years

DSC08694_zpsvbakabgy.jpg

We were disappointed that on other side the trail is shared with the ATVs over long portions of several miles. In fact about 50% of the time up to #310 trail. When conditions are optimal it is not so bad but with this new snow, it create deep wavy ruts that made the experience painful. It's a shame because the trail path is good and the scenery is beautiful as here where the trail is just for us

DSC08705_zps2mlavbl0.jpg

At the #310 junction we had a choice to make. It was 13:30 and we rode intermittently under wet snow at altitude and rain in low altitude. We could go up to St-Donat and Black mountain but it was already a bit late to stretch so far on that side in these conditions. It's been several years since we had not been to Chertsey so we chose to give it a try and loop down on south side.

I was surprised to see that the #310 trail along the #125 road is also shared on a very large part towards Chertsey. Had to admit that their Dozer had passed and it was riding pretty well. Here on the shared section along Highway #125

DSC08715_zpseh8nrf6a.jpg

I stopped the engine to let pass this beautiful 2 HP sled just before reaching the village. I would not swap his sled for mine but It's nice to watch these horses trot ...

DSC08719_zpsg6v4k7ob.jpg

Obviously once in Chertsey it was only rain. Since we were just near we took opportunity for a last fuelup (at 88.9 cents/L!)

DSC08724_zps2gnow6bh.jpg

We then continued to Rawdon. Here I put this pic that left me a little perplexed when I saw it first: No, the guy have not a pole with a GoPro... it's not that he wants to smash us as we passing by either ...just a good illusion!

DSC08727_zpsayecxjvu.jpg

We crossed Pontbriand Lake, no water anywhere and it ride well

DSC08761_zps1c2j4107.jpg

South of Rawdon town we switched on #349 trail to St-Ambroise de Kildare

DSC08791_zpsrqcfrksn.jpg

We took a good break at this halt just a few hundred meters from this last junction along the Ouareau river

DSC08827_zpsxayti3bn.jpg

DSC08800_zpsvi1vlbt5.jpg

We binged with fresh cinnamon buns we previously bought at the St-Come bakery (the best!) Life is hard…

DSC08803_zpszyusbhln.jpg

Really beautiful spot. A must see if you're in that area.

DSC08819_zpstpf0fb5x.jpg

We then continued on to St-Ambroise de Kildare

DSC08839_zpspkdjxzi2.jpg

and have joined the #43 trail back to our starting point. Here at the #131 road crossing near Joliette (Notre-Dame de Lourdes) the plower had smashed down another stop sign. I raised it up, my third of the day!

DSC08868_zpsdhh1tsbi.jpg

The dozer just groomed the trail near home, it was beautiful but the snow was very wet. It was obvious that the shit Météomédia forecast nearly 1mm was far short of what had dropped and although there is still a lot, the 6” snow felt last night had 3/4 disappeared and plowed places were back bare.

Here is the final path traveled that gave us a small 140 miles on the dreammeter

carte_zpszuaufvlh.jpg

Finally, it is the story of the season for snow here near Joliette: It snows, it rain and it freeze back. Fortunately, when you look in the end the snow to the ground keep growing and we get a little more each time. The regions further north like St-Zenon are more lucky and had very low melting and they have very good accumulations.

Even I complained, after all we are lucky compared to some other regions our trails are open even in the south and we ride with good conditions. Hope for the best, for the rest of our season that pass so quickly… and let's enjoy it before it will be too late.

beer_cheers.gif

Alain

Thanks Alain for the report.

We left Saint Come Saturday and rode up through Matawan ( not sure on the spelling) the Indian Village to Saint Ann Du Lac very tough going until near the Indian village. Warm weather and traffic over comes what the groomer was able to do. Trails we much better on Sunday and should be great early this week.

Even a weak day for you is a STRONG report for us! Thanks!

And thanks for repositioning those stop signs! That's no joke for the next guy!

Thanks PLAYHARD! it was a very small day ride, we were home before 5pm and when the kids begin to grunt for meal not much time later she told me: We won't come back before supper next time!!!

Great report Alain . Hey clean out your messages been trying to PM you !

Thanks snowfarner, cleanup done and I PM you too!

Thanks Alain for the report.

We left Saint Come Saturday and rode up through Matawan ( not sure on the spelling) the Indian Village to Saint Ann Du Lac very tough going until near the Indian village. Warm weather and traffic over comes what the groomer was able to do. Trails we much better on Sunday and should be great early this week.

Yes the indian reserve Manawan. Last weekend was tough to have good conditions, 20"-24" of new snow in few days, temps well above the freezing point and much traffic...a bad mix for flat trails but at least we had alot snow. It was -20C this morning home... trails will be mints...and I'm at job...:-(((

Where have you slept in St-Anne?? remember I have slept at the small motel in town last time I got there maybe 5 years ago. It was crazy cheap, very nice for the price.

Where have you slept in St-Anne?? remember I have slept at the small motel in town last time I got there maybe 5 years ago. It was crazy cheap, very nice for the price.

Towing........Relais du touriste (or something like that)

Edited by mcstar

Nice report once again Alain, may be up in your neck of the woods next week, had a trip planned for northern Maine but mother nature has other plans