QR Gathering Bound

neksledr

post-311-0-70792400-1457813837_thumb.jpgMyself, my wife Molly and Buddy Alan drove up to Le Cabanon Wed night from Vermont. Plans are for 4-5 days of sledding for our season ending run, Plans are for being at the QR Gathering dinner Friday night.

Day 1

We set the bar to low! With all the rain that had been falling the last couple of days, we were unsure how the trails had held up, therefore only figured in a short run for day one. Big mistake! Trails had been groomed before the rain, and nearly everything was fantastic! With réservations at Club Odanak in Latuque, we left Le Cabanon on 345 up to360. Everything was flat and fast. Took the 345 towards Repos for a ways so we could loop around the M20 trail back to 360. This section had not been groomed before the rain, so there were some Rolling bumps, but not bad. Once back on the 360, it was tabletop smooth all the way to Hotel Marineau Mattawin, where we took fuel and soup. We continued on 360 to the 355 going north. This 18km section until we got to 351 was the only sketchy section of the day. From the 351 jct north, all the way to the L71 jct, the throttles were getting bent! We took the L71 up to 73, then back Northwest through Latuque to Club Odanak for the evening. Because of the great conditions, our arrival was early, with only 195 miles.

Day 2

Up and on sleds around 8:45am. Took the 73 back to LaTuque for fuel, then continued on 73 east until 355 north. Absolutely everything has been groomed overnight, and more incredible trails are in front of us. Ran first tracks all the way to Lac Edwourd. From there to Lac Bouchette it had not been groomed, but the trip was very quick with the long open trails. Took fuel in Lac Bouchette and ran up to Roberval for lunch. It was 2pm, our bellies were full, and it was still early, so a lake loop seemed like the thing to do! We ran 373, then some orange trails, then 367 to 93 east all the way to 367 into the Delta. Pulled in at 7pm, just in time to quick change and head to the gathering dinner. Odometer read 299.8 for the day!

Day 3

This would be our positioning day. Took a late breakfast, then fuel, and not on trail until 10am. Plans are to spend the night in Roberval, then head to Kanawata Sunday morning. Left the Delta with snow falling pretty hard. Jumped on the 83 and headed east. As usual, everything is groomed to perfection! Mixed in a few orange trails and pulled into Roberval at 1:30 with 100 miles. Hardly any traffic, so we are hopîng the trails hold up for tomorrow. Temps have risen, but the trails are still in great shape, and tons of snow left.

300 miles....holy moly or should I say holy Molly, you really pushed the envelope there Terry, Snowman's right she's a keeper.

Keep up the good work guys, trails seem to be in your favor go get'em before the fat man sings a tune.

That bridge North of La Tuque is a shared bridge with road traffic.

Way to go Molly! A 300 mile day is not an easy task. Watch out Terry or you'll be struggling to keep up with her! Molly is a keeper!!

Have fun & be safe.

Glad you're getting a great ride in for your Season Ender!

Tom

She is definitely a keeper Tom! Quite sure she had another 100 in her!

300 miles....holy moly or should I say holy Molly, you really pushed the envelope there Terry, Snowman's right she's a keeper.

Keep up the good work guys, trails seem to be in your favor go get'em before the fat man sings a tune.

That bridge North of La Tuque is a shared bridge with road traffic.

It's been a great run JG, wish you could have made it! Yea, when we approached that bridge on Thursday, we had to wait for a vehicle! Trails have been spectacular, hoping we get two more days of it. Terry

Day 4. Left Roberval around 8am this morning. Wind blew extremely hard all night and we had no power in morning. Thought the roof was coming off chateau Roberval a few different times during the night! Took 83 West. Trail was super hard packed and mostly smooth with the usual stutter bumps in the corners. Day was going well, then we arrived at the single lane bridge where a different club takes over. Molly said all I need to type to describe the trails from here on is 'epic'! All the way to relais 22 was as good as it can possibly get! Molly was pumping her fists with a big grin when we took fuel saying she saw triple digits! It was that good. Plans were to spend the night in kanawata, but we arrived so early, we took fuel, and kept on trucking. The kanawata express all the way to repos was no less exhilarating! Shut the ponies down at 5pm with 263 miles for the day. This whole trip has been nearly perfect. Could not ask for a better season ended! Steaks are on the menu for dinner, and the Jack bottle behind the bar is nearly full. What more can you ask for? Will be a short 90 miles back to truck in the morning. Will try to post some pics, but not sure how that will work.....

And with the day light savings time going ahead an hour today it must've felt real too early to park those sleds today.

A little short cut....

When you leave Repos tomorrow morning via the 33, the trail will bring you to a lake, there will be a fork in the trail on the lake not long after you get on it. To the right will be the federations trail leading you back to the forest and eventually back to the 360, to the right St. Michel des Saints to the left the dam and then 345 jct.

If you continue straight on the lake it is an off trail expedition trail for the Europeans that will jump a series of lakes and rejoin the 33 further down knocking off a lot of time. The lake trail should be marked with little sticks.

But.....the 345 out of Repos is always a better trail, longer by distance but always more scenic.

Good luck to you two.

JG

And with the day light savings time going ahead an hour today it must've felt real too early to park those sleds today.

A little short cut....

When you leave Repos tomorrow morning via the 33, the trail will bring you to a lake, there will be a fork in the trail on the lake not long after you get on it. To the right will be the federations trail leading you back to the forest and eventually back to the 360, to the right St. Michel des Saints to the left the dam and then 345 jct.

If you continue straight on the lake it is an off trail expedition trail for the Europeans that will jump a series of lakes and rejoin the 33 further down knocking off a lot of time. The lake trail should be marked with little sticks.

But.....the 345 out of Repos is always a better trail, longer by distance but always more scenic.

Good luck to you two.

JG

Hey JG-

We ended up taking the 345 south back to Le Cabanon. First 50 miles were as we feared, all bumped up and froze hard from the weekend beating it took. However, groomer had been out from Cabanon during the night, and we were first tracks back to the truck from there! I will post some pics shortly

Our final night spent at Lac Repos was very nice with a great steak dinner and cocktails. Besides us, there was only 2 couples from Montreal area in the house. The trip was a success, lots of great miles, and a great final run for the year! Sleds are tucked away now until next year.

post-311-0-66760600-1458057811_thumb.jpg

First day departure from Le Cabanon

post-311-0-11830200-1458057885_thumb.jpg

The ever popular pic location

post-311-0-54974800-1458057936_thumb.jpg

Alain & Krikri's favorite lunch spot!

post-311-0-08896400-1458058013_thumb.jpg

First night's stay at Club Odanak

I love those stop lights. I took that same pic a couple years to show the guys here in NY. lol That tall lookout is in a nice park right before you ride along the airport. We saw it a couple weeks ago when rode up there for lunch and gas. I wanted to stop and take a walk up it. Very nice report and pics.

I love those stop lights. I took that same pic a couple years to show the guys here in NY. lol That tall lookout is in a nice park right before you ride along the airport. We saw it a couple weeks ago when rode up there for lunch and gas. I wanted to stop and take a walk up it. Very nice report and pics.

I thought a pic from up on top might be neat, but my legs kept me on the machine!