December Riding

Fatherof2

Hi Gang,

First post here.

I am trying to plan a trip for late December 2016.

I am trying to put several options in place as there is no way to know where the snow will be.

The dates for my trip are December 25th through December 30th. Can anybody give me a feel for what the conditions are generally like during this time frame?

I will be coming up from Boston Mass, and would like to avoid an 8 hour drive if possible.

Thanks for any input or suggestions!!

The only planning you need to do between now and December 15 is picking one of two places at Monts Valin or there's always Labrador. Around Dec 15, in an exceptional year, you may find a spot with a pocket of a couple hundred miles of trails, like La Tuque, l'etape, or Mont Laurier. Less likely you might find trails above NH/Maine. Other pockets greater than 8 hours away may also open up.

Until December 15, you will hear from many others about that being the worst week to ride, since everyone is riding the same few marginal trails. So pray for an epic year like December 2013 where a 1000 mile loop xmas week was possible just north of the st Lawrence and it was -30c.

But what will it be like in two weeks?

Yeah boy, that 2013 Dec riding was wicked cold. But man highly unusual to see that much open that early for sure.

Welcome Fatherof2,

Mont Valin gonna be your only sure thing like Scorp said. Book early if you want to be staying up on the Mtn there.

I have snowmobiled many years between Xmas and new years on the Gaspesie. However I would not make plans to now, Really I think you have to wait till Christmas before making a final location plan. Like the Iceman said two weeks would open a lot more areas if you could change dates. Best book the days off then wait till last minute to book the location.

Snowmobiling in December is a last minute decision where to ride, some years you may have to resort to offtrailing as the grooming could not be done in the favourable spots.

Some years could be very favourable given the early weather patterns, best bet book the time off like Smclelan said and keep the sled loaded then be ready on the moment for incoming weather.

Personally this is too early for me to ride, a lot of numb nuts out there yahooing on first pass groomed trails, lots of surprises early in the season, human and nature!!!!

Snowmobiling is always an adventure!

In past years, rode between Christmas and New Years eve. Due to conditions and time, decided it was better to ride later in the season.

ST Zenon had favorable conditions, and trails were tolerable once you got past the 30 mile radius of town. Prefer saddlebag rides as seeing the same trail segment or riding the same trail gets boring fast (riding a MX track over the same jumps taught me this rather quickly).

Also hate crowded trails and riding at some crazy slow speed behind a train of 2smokes.

Thinking of buying a week permit this year, as I don't seem to be able to get up there more often. Will see.

As mentioned earlier, watch the weather and read the reports on this site. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by hparaptor

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Congrats on your fist QR post! "You always remember your first" But you didn't say it'd be your first ride in Quebec. Still I don't wanna assume, so sharing in case you haven't used this before:

Know before you go...

Go to: http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/carte-motoneige/index.html

Click "Services" in the upper right corner

Click “Delai de serfacage” (and whatever other "Attraits" you want to see)

Click "Fermer" to close the drop down box

If you switch the view from Carte (map) to Satellite, you’ll see the Whites (badness) more clearly, which are those haven’t been groomed 3+ days.

THEN HEAD FOR THE GREENS & YELLOWS (GOODNESS)!!

Of course real-world rider reports here (or any other reliable forum) are great confirmation.

Not what you want to hear, and maybe not what your schedule will allow: But I wait until January 15th for my season opener, so there's a pretty good chances of more choices being set up.