Gaspe blowout 2000 miles 6 days

Fred

Day 1: Left the house in VT. Monday 2/25 at 7:00 3 hrs. to border at Stanstead, Que. Trails good for VT. Once into Quebec the snow almost ran out. Very little snow around Sherbrooke area so we headed east to Sawyerville...lots more snow there. North to Thetford Mines (lots of snow) on the 533, 35, to 5. Got to Montmagny at 7:45. About 380 miles in 12.5 hrs. Long day but we wanted to hit the good stuff quickly. Sunny all day. :D Daytripper with helmet head! Aka "Scarface" or "Sledn@zi".

Day 2: Easy day on 5 to Rimouski. Stayed off of the 35 it's too straight. Hit Hotel Rimouski around 4:00. Around 240 miles, nice riding day. :good: Where am I now?

Day3: Took the 5 to Mont Saint-Pierre. Snowed all day about a foot...Slow going in the hills. Stayed at Au Delice Motel. Never stayed here before but eat here all of the time on trips. Highly recommended. Rooms just refurbished. No pool but we were beat. Still smiling, can't remember the mileage. :yahoo: Nice trails. :lol:

Day 4: Rode the 5 to the 597 south to Murdochville as Patsy claimed not much grooming on the north side. Went down back to the 5 and saw that awful rock again. Had lunch at Roland's Table then over to see Patsy, Dale, Mari-Lou. They warned us of 40cm. snow for Saturday. We had good talk and over to the Fraser for the night. Great seafood plate as part of the package, people are really nice there too. I think the mileage was 240 something. I know the wind would quit blowing if they'd turn off those big fans in Murdochville!

Day5: We decide to high tail it home. On the trail at 4:15. Saw the sun rise and set on the same trail. I'm not a big fan of leaving this early as not to po any landowners. This was one exception. Rode hard stopped ONLY for gas and at Groomer's clubhouse for a bowl of soup and a milk. Bought some local guy a big beer. He couldn't believe it. People in Quebec are great to tourists so why not return the favor.

Back on the trail and off to River-Du-Loupe for the night. In at dark. Mileage about 495. This is a personal record for me. Trails 100% all groomed except around Chandler where the groomer was busted. Probably the best riding day of my life. :pardon: Sunny all day and great trails, not too cold. Not too tired after 13 hours in the saddle. This was about to change! This guy was stuck on the bridge. No studs and lots of ice. His buddy walked across the suspension bridge to get him out...looked like a side show at the circus. We pulled up just as he was walking back across the bridge.

Day 6: Left Riviere-Du-Loupe at around 8:30. I just knew it would be a long day. Snowed and blowed all day. Hit the 526 (ALWAYS 100%) down to the 35 railbed. Stopped to see Andre for gas. Asked about his new grandaughter. He's such a happy guy now! Rode too the end of the bed. Took the 547 up to the 5, and down the 533 thru the mines. Trails BEAT. HUGE amount of sleds on Saturday. As any of you know the weekends around any big towns in Quebec get crowded with sleds. Kept setting my sites on a place for the night. Getting tired. Hit the border of VT at 8:00 pm and back to house at 11:55. Got stuck once within a mile of my home; geez, what a kick in the nuts! SOOOO tired could barely get off the sled. 15 hours in the saddle with just one 15 minute break. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Almost the worst riding day of my life just one day after the best. this ride darn near wrecked me. Mileage...about 490...TOO MUCH. :wacko:

Just a side note or two: The sled mileage was just 92 miles off the GPS...less than 5%. The Ski-Doo SDI really works well for this trip. I rode my 05 REV and Daytripper took the 08 XP...both SDI's. We averaged around 19 mpg US. At one point when the trails were bad we got 24 mpg. Oil usage was around 200-250 per quart. Not a single problem with either sled. The 05 now has 9000 miles.

This same trip in 03 with an 800 Polaris XC cost $900 dollars in gasoline at 03 prices. This trip cost me just under $500 dollars in gas at today's prices. These new sleds are just the best! Conservation will keep me riding longer. 200 miles to a fill-up isn't bad either.

My BVS2 helmet on the other hand has given me some grief. The heated shield fogs internally after a couple of days on the trail. It's a helpless feeling when you can't see to drive! This is my third shield under warranty. The temporary cure for this was to pour a small amount of dry gas around the seal every morning. It absorbs the moisture from inside the shield and won't hurt the plastic (Isopropyl alcohol).

Great riding this year!

No groomer he looked like he could use another beer. besides that the barmaid looked lonely. she was there last year too. Nice blonde chick!

I told my wife I'd NEVER do that again....the ride that is. We usually do this in 8 days.

The guy walked across that bridge twice. Pretty scary. for some reason Quebecers don't like studded tracks.

ya , not bad '' la poulette '' !!! ( chick ) ha !! ha !!

we don t see much studded tracks around here .maybe in a heavy traffic area , but not here .

without insulting the other club ,it s their job to clean the bridge .i use the bridge time to time to take pics ,even at night , not that bad .

groomer !!!

Groomer this is funny. I'm laughing my a$$ off here reading this. The funny part is their side of the bridge was clean and your clubs side was icy!!!! HA-HA. :yahoo:

No insult intended.

Years ago in 02' or 03' my buddy had a thing for one of the bartenders at your club. She was really hot. We were the only ones in there and they were dancing on the bar. No s#it!!! I haven't seen her since.

Groomer this is funny. I'm laughing my a$$ off here reading this. The funny part is their side of the bridge was clean and your clubs side was icy!!!! HA-HA. :yahoo:

No insult intended.

Years ago in 02' or 03' my buddy had a thing for one of the bartenders at your club. She was really hot. We were the only ones in there and they were dancing on the bar. No s#it!!! I haven't seen her since.

ha !! ha !! ha !!! they are responsible of both side !!!! :D ha !! ha !!! laugh of the week !!!

i can t see who could be that bartender ????? i ll try to take info about that .

groomer !!!

i have ridden thousands upon thousands of miles in quebec and for the life of me i can't see the need for studs.all they do is tear up the trail and cause a safety hazard.now if i were a lake racer then maybe.just my 2 cents, but to me studs are a crutch.

i have ridden thousands upon thousands of miles in quebec and for the life of me i can't see the need for studs.all they do is tear up the trail and cause a safety hazard.now if i were a lake racer then maybe.just my 2 cents, but to me studs are a crutch.

The time your carbides dig into the blacktop at a road crossing and your studless track is spinning and a car or truck is bearing down on you, you may want to have studs.

The time I got half way up a steep mountain (around St-Donat) and started sliding backwards with my wife (2 up) convinced me they are worth while. That never happened again.

No insult intended.

hi fred !!

back from grooming !! like i say in quebecois ,lightning struck me while grooming !!! ha !! ha !! found the name of that bartender .for sure it must be marie-rose !!! did nt know her much , but i know she was '' wild ''

groomer !!!

Yup, I'm quite sure that is her name. I'll ask my buddy if he remembers. Groomer the funny thing is the next summer in July we came by the clubhouse on bikes and my buddy had HIS girlfriend on the back of his bike. As we drive by the clubhouse he lifts his arm High in the air and does a "thumbs up". My wife says to me"whats that all about"? I'm laughing so hard I almost drive off the road!!! This is my buddy with his girl on that same trip! If she only knew! She's long since gone. Can anyone guess where we were headed?.......STUPID ROCK.

As for studs, It's an age old topic. Here's MY opinion; and just mine:

1) SAFETY for certain is the key issue for me. One time near Nouvelle on TQ5 there were 2 sleds down over a very steep bank backwards. This was a nightmare for the riders. Both from Quebec.

2) I really don't like them. They are very noisy as the wheels roll over the heads of the studs. Sleds are MUCH smoother riding without them. I really noticed this on my old Vector because the engine is SOOOO quiet.

3)They DO make a mess of the roads and trails so I use the minimum amount required for safety.

I'd love to try one of the new car tire stud type tracks that are becoming available. They are quiet for sure and might not tear the trails/roads up so badly.

One other note on studs. Most Quebecers don't use them and most guys from the States do. We should start a poll on studs.

I sure hope Rob notices That I didn't post this on HCS ! :nea:

Wow, I said I wouldn't do that kind of mileage again as well. We did 420 miles in one day going from Amqui to St. Georges a few weeks ago. I didn't think that I would ever hear of someone going over that.

A few beers at at the bar that night and we all slept like logs.

I read an artical 2 years ago, a couple of guy's from ME, rode for 24hrs straight (In Quebec and ME) and did 1,000 miles, Whew! :good:

I guess it's great to be able to accomplish that, but I would be afraid I might not want to ride again? :sad:

Too much of any good thing, is not good. :wacko:

I read an artical 2 years ago, a couple of guy's from ME, rode for 24hrs straight (In Quebec and ME) and did 1,000 miles, Whew! :good:

I guess it's great to be able to accomplish that, but I would be afraid I might not want to ride again? :sad:

Too much of any good thing, is not good. :wacko:

That's the way I felt for the next week. I did go riding the following day, but we only did 200 miles. I had a week to recover before doing any more.

Good job Fred: The part about riding out of Vermont was my idea and in retrospect wasn't a brainstorm, with time that memory will grow fonder I'm sure. For me the first day was the hardest. We gassed up in St Agathe around dark and the last miles to Montamgy seemed like a thousand.

The Ski Doo XP was a real pleasure to ride, handled great, very comfortable, fast and quiet, easy to steer, all around seemed like the perfect sled for the job.

Almost 1000 miles in two days made this a really special trip for me. I love long fast rides will few stops and thats just how it went.

Thirty below

500 miles of trails like this, priceless

Snobeeler,

Were you with the group watching the Buffalo hockey game? Yeah it didn't take me long to fall asleep that night.

Yup, that was us. I was the farthest away to your left. I can't be;ieve you did another long day the next day. You must have a Iron ass. That's the first thing that gets sore on me. My back, arms, legs are fine. I have crossed paths with you before. Face was familar.