doubler

FCMQ interactive map question on accuracy

Recommended Posts

For those that use the itinerary function on the interactive map, I wondering if anyone has any feedback on how accurate the distances are?  My gut, is that the map is lower than actual distance from point A to point B.  Just a gut feeling and hard to prove, so wanted to see what others think.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our experence is it is very close to be accurate. We take the maps KM's number and multiply by 6 and and drop the last number for miles. 100 km's times 6 is 600 less the last number and you get 60 miles. That works for us and it always close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Our experence is it is very close to be accurate. We take the maps KM's number and multiply by 6 and and drop the last number for miles. 100 km's times 6 is 600 less the last number and you get 60 miles. That works for us and it always close.

Yes! So easy that way. I've been doing it that way for years

3 hours ago, Cnc said:

It is way more accurate than posted distance on trail signs. 

Like snowmaster said... so so true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, zeusand said:

Yes! So easy that way. I've been doing it that way for years

Like snowmaster said... so so true

Funny story. I bought a pickup truck in Canada one time and the speedometer was in KM. Told the salesman how will I know how fast I'm going.  He gave me the times 6 method and said that close enough.  I  bought the truck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wulsock1 said:

That's the truth! I've been 30 kms from a place at for at least 80 km a bunch of times!

My favourite is a sign at a junction that says 40 km to...., and 15 minutes later it is 53 km to the same place. Dam I didn’t realize the sled was in reverse!😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before GPS, I had a compass mounted to my sled. Saved me many times, come to a three-way intersection, not sure which way to go. I knew the right way on the map was northeast mostly so I'd start going that way for a few miles and as long as the compass was right... It usually workout out. I always carry Maps just in case. My GPS has frozen in super cold Temps and won't stay on for more than 15 seconds at best. I've been thinking to get another compass but the Imotoniege app should solve that problem. As long as it's charged... LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup works without cell signal, map is on your phone, position is from gps, If we come to a confusing intersection and I am unsure which is the right trail, I check the phone to make sure we are where we think we are and sometimes ride down the trail we think we want  a few kilometres and check our position again to see if we are moving down the correct trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it's very accurate.  If you zoom in you can tell within 100 feet if you're on the correct trail or not.  The distances n signs are a joke.  We went to Wapish near Mt Villan and it said 26 KM when it was 56.  Also, if you have WiFi in the morning, look at the app and you can see the grooming map.  Finally to save on battery, I put the phone on airplane mode when I leave in the morning, it keeps the phone from constantly looking for a cell signal.  I also carry my charger with me and plug in whenever we stop to eat etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One last pointer if you’re using your phone. Put it airplane mode to conserve the battery.  When you lose cell service or it is very weak, your phone will go to full power to try and maintain connectivity. This will use up the battery pretty fast. The app will work just fine to tell you where you are with no connectivity.   You will have a black cloud in the lower right meaning you are not connected to the internet, so things like grooming delay, or gas/lodging functions will not work.  Keep your phone warm to further conserve battery, either next to your body, or in a heated handlebar bag.  If in the bag, keep it right next to the heating element.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry  what they call a fuel cell, small battery pack no bigger than the phone that can recharge the phone, go pro batteries etc several times on a single charge. Like the phone it likes to stay warm for maximum power.

Edited by Cnc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep my phone mounted on a RAM mount, the cold doesn't seem to effect the battery life much, I did try and attach a car charger, but, got a message that "phone is too cold to charge".  It times out and the screen goes dark in 10 minutes.  Not a problem just tap if at an intersection and it finds exactly where you art. My Android has a rapid charge function and in a half you It'll go from 20% to a full charge while having lunch.  We always have at least one other guy with the app that they have turned off and in a pocket as a backup in case my battery dies..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zeusand said:

Before GPS, I had a compass mounted to my sled. Saved me many times, come to a three-way intersection, not sure which way to go. I knew the right way on the map was northeast mostly so I'd start going that way for a few miles and as long as the compass was right... It usually workout out. I always carry Maps just in case. My GPS has frozen in super cold Temps and won't stay on for more than 15 seconds at best. I've been thinking to get another compass but the Imotoniege app should solve that problem. As long as it's charged... LOL

Hi Stan, The Imotoniege app is awesome. Only issue is keeping phone on in very cold conditions. I have had success by putting a handle grip heater under the phone in mount. It would even die while hooked up to charger, using heat has eliminated the issue when below 10f.

Edited by Snobeeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's accurate for sure.  I use a small case with a hand warmer on really cold days to help battery life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Hi Stan, The Imotoniege app is awesome. Only issue is keeping phone on in very cold conditions. I have had success by putting a handle grip heater under the phone in mount. It would even die while hooked up to charger, using heat has eliminated the issue when below 10f.

Hi Jay, I keep my phone in my pocket and that solves that problem. But my GPS is mounted on my Dash. It is a Garmin 550 and I've noticed when the battery is new it can handle cold Temps down to about 15F below before acting up. But after a couple of years it barely stays on plugged in even at 20F above. But that is a great idea on the heated grip warmer, a nice thin one that will fit right inside the RAM mount. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, zeusand said:

Hi Jay, I keep my phone in my pocket and that solves that problem. But my GPS is mounted on my Dash. It is a Garmin 550 and I've noticed when the battery is new it can handle cold Temps down to about 15F below before acting up. But after a couple of years it barely stays on plugged in even at 20F above. But that is a great idea on the heated grip warmer, a nice thin one that will fit right inside the RAM mount. Thanks!

I actually use my phone instead of a GPS. Its very easy to see day/night. Its a 6S so screen is big enough. I secured the grip warmer to back side of the aluminum flashing using 2 sided rug tape.

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.