Sign in to follow this  
quebec bob

summit turbo 850

Recommended Posts

Ski-doo has just released a 2020 summit 850 turbo with over 200 hp, this should be quite a sled, now will we see this engine in any thing else in 2021, can only dream!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

Ski-doo has just released a 2020 summit 850 turbo with over 200 hp, this should be quite a sled, now will we see this engine in any thing else in 2021, can only dream!!

I am by no means a Ski Doo expert. From what I read on this new 850 summit turbo, my understanding is that with its design it allows riders at high altitude, i think above 8000ft to not lose any power as they would with a non turbo 850.

i believe the turbo does nothing for it unless at altitude. Like I said I am no expert on this. Maybe I am wrong. 

No where I saw says it makes it 200hp. It just compensates for the loss of 40hp yiu would see above 8k feet.

from an article on the release

“Riders will enjoy every ounce of the 165 horsepower from the industry's leading 2-stroke engine to its fullest, all the way to 8,000 feet (2438 m) in altitude. They continue to enjoy a 40-hp advantage over non-turbo 850’s from there up on the way to discovering stunning new winter playgrounds.”

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I read as well, just doesn't lose horsepower in high-elevation. But still, how do you add a turbo and not gain horsepower even at sea level??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zeusand said:

That's what I read as well, just doesn't lose horsepower in high-elevation. But still, how do you add a turbo and not gain horsepower even at sea level??

Beats me I put gas in turn key and ride it 

probably computer programming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sled has an altitude sensor. Kicks in when gaining altitude by sensing thinner air, instead of loosing 3 HP for every 1,000 feet. At sea lever turbo won't kick in.

So at 8000 feet, Doo is still making 165 HP while other 165 HP sleds are now running at 140 HP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about it is for high altitude.  What I read was 165 hp at 3000 ft and 165 at 8000 feet. Mine has enough moving parts to worry about so a turbo I don't think I need.  Only my opinion.  

  Great day tomorrow, my oldest boy and a couple of his friends are headed for Mont laurie  and then north. No plans yet for a sleeping spot. Going to be a good time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the turbo only spins up to 4psi.  So that's why after 8000 feet it starts losing some horsepower.   But best part is pump gas and a warranty.   I agree waste of money on the east coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

I agree about it is for high altitude.  What I read was 165 hp at 3000 ft and 165 at 8000 feet. Mine has enough moving parts to worry about so a turbo I don't think I need.  Only my opinion.  

  Great day tomorrow, my oldest boy and a couple of his friends are headed for Mont laurie  and then north. No plans yet for a sleeping spot. Going to be a good time. 

George, I do hope that you are going too?  I haven’t seen you the past few times for breakfast in the Koffee Kove.  Hope all is well?  We are heading up to Mont Laurier to start a western trip on the 31st.  Hope to see you in the restaurant or better yet, on the trail soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the 40 horsepower part and assumed that would be in addition to the 165 , thus 40 plus 165 is 205. What a waste to only have it at altitude, but by next week some tuners will probably be available to fix that problem. I am still hoping this has a future in a trail sled, say a 146 mach z gen 4, a little lower than a back country with 2 inches wider ski stance, to compete with the side winder, it would make sense dollars wise because I think the mountain guys will be eating this thing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I saw the 40 horsepower part and assumed that would be in addition to the 165 , thus 40 plus 165 is 205. What a waste to only have it at altitude, but by next week some tuners will probably be available to fix that problem. I am still hoping this has a future in a trail sled, say a 146 mach z gen 4, a little lower than a back country with 2 inches wider ski stance, to compete with the side winder, it would make sense dollars wise because I think the mountain guys will be eating this thing up.

It'll never happen, no way to run it on pump fuel at sea level, couldn't warranty it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may happen, but not completely  the way we would want. I would predict a timed over boost\boost condition, I believe Ferrari and Porsche have used similar ideas as well as Polaris on their Dragons. 

Like launch control, available for short distances and very tied down, ANY thing out of sorts it would not activate.

This could allow for Very Powerful Launches or Mid-Range to Top End Pulls, but shutdown if it senses any out of band results.

Just my thoughts.

GutZ

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 15, 2020 at 8:32 PM, iceman said:

compensates for the loss of 40hp yiu would see above 8k feet.

From the couple of times I've been out west I'd lost and needed compensation for a lot more than just HP up there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Funny to see how quickly the power drops off. Good thing Four Strokes don't loose that kinda power!

LOL

GutZ

 

yes, a 15 horsepower drop going to the top side of the Gaspe, wonder what the ft pounds drop is, that is really what matters. So this turbo starts working at 5oo ft. There will be a very noticeable side by side difference, I know it is only 4psi, but who knows at what volume, the intake and pressure tubing look big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, zeusand said:

Hey Bob, do you still have that 200 Horsepower Supercharged Vector?

Stan, I just sold that sled a week ago, that was the very first Yamaha mountain performance turbo for the 3 cylinder Yamaha engine that Mac Randolph sold. I ran 7.5 psi of boost, on pump gas, basically 200hp, and a four tower clutch, 10k trouble free miles, and never even had to change a spark plug. Also never lost a race to anyone, that was a really fast sled and a ton of fun, and the fuel mileage was 16, it was really impressive on groomed trails but not very good on bumps. Now I have a expedition extreme and a 850 backcountry, certainly no where as fast but handle a lot better, hope they turn out to be as reliable as that old Yamaha, hope all is well, Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this