GPS Units

coldsmoke1

I purchased the Nuvi 550 last year great unit good for the weather and temp.

You will LOVE having a GPS on your sled. You have no idea how many ways it will come in handy. There are many good ones out there to choose from. They are like sleds though, you have to compromise. If it is going to be used mostly on the sled I would lean a little towards a mapping handheld. You wont be paying extra for a voice you will never hear. They generally store quite a lot of tracks. If you want to use it in your car too, think motorcycle, because voice commands rule on the road. Get a Garmin and you will have what everyone else has. Another kind and nobody will be much help to ya while you are learning. If I were getting another one today for a sled I think I would pick the 60 csx. Good antenna (very important), color screen, memory cards, great battery life even though you should wire it to your sled battery. You will not out grow this unit in my opinion, you will out grow any $99. unit. check ebay and the garmin web sight, learn the language a little first.

Have just posted this question on another thread, but if anyone can help it would be appreciated. I have a TomTom GPS that I was hoping to use but being in the U.K. have no idea where to download trail map for the Sag. Region from. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

I think strictly for outdoor adventure uses such as snowmobiling most will find the Garmin Vista HCx to be the best value. Sure there are many features more expensive units add but the combo of a mapping GPS with City Navigator and the free QC trails loaded up is hard to beat.

I went with the nuvi 550. Big screen, waterproof, and good to -20 F. I was able to load all the trails for Quebec without any issues. Cost was $264.00. Which I thought was reasonable. It does have the touch screen, but it wasn't an issue last year. I have it hard wired on the sled.

I have the Garmin 60 csx, last year I uploaded a free waypoint marked map, not the most useful on the trail, 9 times out of 10 the trail does not go the way the crow flies. So I am looking for an up-loadable map for the 09-10 Quebec trail system. To tell you the truth, I have no clue how to use most of the functions on the damn thing. But if someone has info on where to get the trail system, or how they use the unit it would be most helpfull.

The best thing I found was the link that scorpionbowl has on his signature, I used his mileage and loops he has posted to plan at least 3 trips last year. I would like to post my loops this year in a similar format.

Scorpionbowl, if you are reeading this. PLease keep posting the tracks. I love your mini site. A great tool.

I figured I would post this pic, just because...was seen on the last trip of the season last year, between St Michele-des-Saints and St-Donat

I have the Garmin 60 csx, last year I uploaded a free waypoint marked map, not the most useful on the trail, 9 times out of 10 the trail does not go the way the crow flies. So I am looking for an up-loadable map for the 09-10 Quebec trail system. To tell you the truth, I have no clue how to use most of the functions on the damn thing. But if someone has info on where to get the trail system, or how they use the unit it would be most helpfull.

The best thing I found was the link that scorpionbowl has on his signature, I used his mileage and loops he has posted to plan at least 3 trips last year. I would like to post my loops this year in a similar format.

Scorpionbowl, if you are reeading this. PLease keep posting the tracks. I love your mini site. A great tool.

I figured I would post this pic, just because...was seen on the last trip of the season last year, between St Michele-des-Saints and St-Donat

Thanks for the kind words. I started doing that so I could remember and plan trips myself, glad to see it helps others. Someone on here should be able to help you get the FCMQ trails onto your gps, I don't have a Garmin, so I can't help...