Berthier/St-Zenon photo ride report 25/02/24

towing

We took the risk of leaving directly from the home in St-Thomas and passing through Berthier to go up to St-Zénon and have dinner at Réal Massé

carte_oSVgo4sW7UawQf72cgvxy2.jpg

If I had to quickly summarize the report: don't do like us and stay no further south than St-Gabriel de Brandon and go north. We wanted to take advantage one last time of the privilege we have of leaving directly from the home without touching the trailer and we managed to do so but the southern part of St-Gabriel is too lacking in snow... I gave a good beat to my snowtrackers!

From St-Thomas we joined trail #3 to go towards Berthier. Surprisingly, apart from the surroundings of the gas station in the village, the fields were still very beautiful. Here along the railway line.  Scratchers mandatory very hard/icy base

DJI_0510.JPG

There was a lack of snow in a few inside curves but overall very good

DJI_0528.JPG

Things got bad when we arrived at the airfield in St-Cuthbert, there was quite a long way to go on a plowed path now on dirt/gravel and it wasn't nice in the wooded area that followed or near the Valrémi sugar shack

We gave a try on the #3 towards St-Barthelemy...It was worse too much south and we had to turn around we lost the trail at some points

DJI_0543.JPG

We headed towards St-Gabriel de Brandon, the wooded sections are good

DJI_0560.JPG

But in the fields the trail path is hard to miss 🙄, it has melted too much. There is quite a long stretch like that

DJI_0567.JPG

Past St-Gabriel de Brandon going north was the way to go, the conditions there are fine and keep going better toward north

We had a checkpoint just north of the village of St-Gabriel, the guys were nice no problem.

DJI_0583.JPG

And we went up the #23 north which still has good snow cover

DJI_0595.JPG

I was unsure about a short plowed section but it's still very good and was ok

DJI_0599.JPG

We got a few bumps from traffic but the snow is still very good in that area

DJI_0601.JPG

We had a late start around 9:30 and time was passing quickly so we took the #350 south

DJI_0612.JPG

And we had dinner at Réal Massé. It's been a long time since we've been there and their meals are still delicious and the atmosphere really nice. They are open from Thursday noon to Sunday afternoon.

DJI_0625.JPG

From there we decided to continue #350 and loop around via #63 towards Ste-Émélie de l'Énergie. Here direction the Glacière

DJI_0627_qrVV9fDu9bxRunLZg29PBL.JPG

DJI_0640.JPG

Past La Glacière on #63 heading south it was still very beautiful with good snow cover

DJI_0655_5LowfkQy4Cnq3rFZdJwFJb.JPG

DJI_0664.JPG

Here passing by the La Barrière outfitter

DJI_0667_6buR7rRB1E2B2iBS4hbFoH.JPG

DJI_0673_q7T4tmwDSSo6TPQMb3Zj1y.JPG

We passed through Domaine Bazinet and continued south

DJI_0686_t3UiZg6KwvLL4vKV3vxAaK.JPG

The big hills near Ste-Émélie de l’Énergie are still in good condition

DJI_0691.JPG

Past Ste-Émilie village we headed towards St-Damien where we stopped to refuel while passing through their courtyard.

DJI_0705.JPG

Leaving the gas station we climb the mountain and at the very top facing south there is the only mud spot we saw to the north of St-Gabriel on this route very close to the small shack at the #23 junction which joins our morning route. We took a little break there.

DJI_0724_dUvYTkZcSoLXuup8F2BB12.JPG

We resumed on the morning path in the opposite direction which was still in the same state, beautiful up to St-Gabriel but then with bare spots going south

DJI_0733.JPG

We returned home around 5:00 p.m. with a little over 250km on the cluster, overall happy with the ride that succeed our wish to start from home.

In summary, there is still some great snowmobiling to be done north of St-Gabriel de Brandon when it is cold like today. This year it's like that, don't be too critical and take what can be done... The upcoming weather forecasts are a bit scary but I still hope they're wrong! we'll see...hoping for the best

Alain

Great report Alain.  We rode a loop around Saint Donat last Wednesday and then a loop from Saint Come up to Pouvoire Coin Lavigne and back on Thursday.  The odd tough stretch, but overall, I'd call 95% of the riding mid-season conditions.  Maybe not as much base as the area is used to, but very good riding still.  Here's hoping the weatherman isn't correct.

Good morning Alain,

Another great report by you and the Mrs.! Glad to see you were able to get out. However, I saw a post from someone yesterday,  that Real had passed. Have not seen anything official, however, if you could confirm this, and possibly post the obituary, that would be great. My condolences go out to Nancy and family, such great people, and such a beautiful spot they have there. It’s always a pleasure to go there, as you say, their food is outstanding, very kind staff, and great accommodations. Real can be very proud of his accomplishment there!

Thanks,

Hank

36 minutes ago, Snappy Hank said:

Good morning Alain,

Another great report by you and the Mrs.! Glad to see you were able to get out. However, I saw a post from someone yesterday,  that Real had passed. Have not seen anything official, however, if you could confirm this, and possibly post the obituary, that would be great. My condolences go out to Nancy and family, such great people, and such a beautiful spot they have there. It’s always a pleasure to go there, as you say, their food is outstanding, very kind staff, and great accommodations. Real can be very proud of his accomplishment there!

Thanks,

Hank

Sad news

he was one tough SOB and a good person 

RIP Real

Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2024 at 9:10 AM, Signfan said:

Great report Alain.  We rode a loop around Saint Donat last Wednesday and then a loop from Saint Come up to Pouvoire Coin Lavigne and back on Thursday.  The odd tough stretch, but overall, I'd call 95% of the riding mid-season conditions.  Maybe not as much base as the area is used to, but very good riding still.  Here's hoping the weatherman isn't correct.

Yes even with the limited snow base it was possible to get good riding on cold winters days but mother nature throw us another a warm sequence ahead and it seems that this will be the end... I considered trying St-Donat tomorrow that is still open but with rain on the forecast I think we will stay home.

14 hours ago, Snappy Hank said:

Good morning Alain,

Thanks,

Hank

I confirm you Real Masse has passed on February 27. There is actually a wave of tribute comments on the web about him, he was very appreciated by most people who crossed his path. I have not seen the official obituary yet but will post if I find it. Condolences this his family and friends 

realmasse.jpg

I try an approximate translation here:

Dear customers,
It is with sadness and much sorrow that we announce the departure of our dear Réal.
This past February 27, our beloved left us for his last trip to the heavens.
Since 1986, Réal has made it his duty to offer the best to his customers.
The family is committed to continuing the current activities of the outfitter, and to providing the same service that you have received for all these years.
In this moment of mourning, we ask you to respect the need for a moment of rest, so that we can live this moment as a family.
Sportingly yours,
Réal Massé's family

13 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Sad news

he was one tough SOB and a good person 

RIP Real

X2

Edited by towing