Lanaudiere St-Zénon/ St-Michel 19 december 2010

towing

I did a wonderful ride this last saturday. A bunch of friends got to St-Zenon and I guided and shape them a good ride. The Yam team at start...

DSC01467.jpg

The pics are not the best because it was very cloudy and dark but for the rest it was perfect, There is between 2 and 3 times more snow than last saturday and the trail conditions are incomparables. Very good beginning conditions, near winter conditions.

DSC01474.jpg

We started in Cabanon direction on #350 trail. For those who well know the area, they moved the #345 junction (to Real Massé) around 0.5 miles farther, it's well marked..

DSC01471.jpg

The river that begin to freeze offered a nice view

DSC08528.jpg

My friend Coyote, using his monster lens camera

DSC08529.jpg

To be continued...

And we continued on #345 trail

DSC08532.jpg

Around 8 miles before Cabanon, we swithed to the right to go in Mastigouche reserve. On the first miles, the trail was narrow and there was some branchs on the sides reminding us that's still the season beginning but there was plenty of snow and the trail became larger just a little farther...

DSC08540.jpg

and we could speed up a little...

DSC08541.jpg

In this area we would think we were in the middle of january...

DSC08545.jpg

DSC08551.jpg

To be continued...

When we got back on the #345, we switched south to go lunching at Cabanon. Here's the only sun ray of the day...

DSC08554.jpg

DSC08555.jpg

After the lunch, we got in dam direction to go round the Taureau Lake. The #345 was in winter condition and always even fun to ride...

DSC08561.jpg

The second part of the oneway trail near the dam was already groomed. And we arrived at the dam...

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

on the other side...

DSC01489.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

And we took the #318 to go round the lake. From our morning start, we only had took trails that were groomed before the snow/rain from last sunday, which had pretty hard base. This one was probably on the first groom pass, plenty of snow but soft powder base. The trail was wide and fast and it was a real blast to ride

DSC08574.jpg

But we had to be really careful because there was some little ditch that are not frozen yet, nothing hard to cross but not at hight speed...

DSC08570.jpg

DSC08571.jpg

The second part from #33 trail junction to St-Michel was more bumpy( the #33 trail to Repos was not groomed yet). From the morning, we had saw near no rocks but we begun to see few there. This is not because there was no snow (I measure more than 15" to the ground with more the half in granular dense snow)but the trail base had not the time to harden and suffered from traffic. From there it was too late for pics, those we took are all fuzzy

From St-Michel, we took the #318 trail to Cabanon. The traffic did the job and the big rocky hills near St-Michel were a little ruff, it's normal we are at season beginning... From Cabanon, we took St-Zenon village direction to have fun in this big hill trail and went back to Glacière by 33/63 trail that was pretty beatup by the traffic. All skidoozer were already gone from Cabanon to groom when we passed there so all the trails in the area have been in ready shape this morning. We completed the ride with a good meal with my gang.

Total: 163 miles of fun

To conclude, the trail condition are very good for the time of the year (maybe twice better that last year at same date). I don't saw any sand, maybe 2 rocks before the lunch but few when the trail got beatup by the traffic in the afternoon and especially at the end of the day. With some cold and groomnig to harden the trail base this week, those of you that will come during Christmas holidays will have some nice conditions for sure !!!

Alain

Great report Alain, as always. I hope to make at least 1 trip up this year but i am not sure when, I promised my wife a warm weather trip the year so if I do make it up this year it will probably be later in winter. Have a safe riding season. :drinks:

Thank you for the good comments :drinks:

I promised my wife a warm weather trip the year

Buy her a warmer suit :p ;)

It's always a guess, but mid february to the first of march should be in the best time frame to have not too cold weather and good trail condition and still wide trail network availiable. March is fantastic for warm temp but sometimes the trails begin to suffered... and april is good for short sleeve rides B) B)

If some of you would like to see more pictures of the last week-end, this ride was called by Coyote from passion yamaha and they rode to Repos friday, saturday(with me) and sunday to Koubec. The forum is in french but the pics are pretty nice. On the link below, you're on the second page. Scroll down the my photo-report and you will begin to see pictures from other riders. Coyote post particulatly good pics on page 3

http://passionyamaha.superforum.fr/t5659p20-randonnee-des-membres-passion-yamaha-samedi-le-18-decembre-a

enjoy :drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing

I think everyone on here waits every week for your thorough reports and your great pics. You ride the area that I, and probably most others, all started our Canadian experiences at. Even though it tends to get crowded around there, I still enjoy a trip into the area occasionally. Keep up the great work. Maybe we'll cross paths someday at La Gaciere or Cabanon.