GPS coordinates / short cut trail

mxz7000

In a few weeks we are doing a loop and one leg of the loop will be going from Roberval to Relias 22 and then on to La Tuque. Last year someone posted a short cut running a lake from Relias 22 to La Tuque and I thought they posted coordinates. I tried to find it and couldn't. Any help would be great. :drinks:

Thanks,

Bob

In a few weeks we are doing a loop and one leg of the loop will be going from Roberval to Relias 22 and then on to La Tuque. Last year someone posted a short cut running a lake from Relias 22 to La Tuque and I thought they posted coordinates. I tried to find it and couldn't. Any help would be great. :drinks:

Thanks,

Bob

I'll add to this...has anyone taken the re-routed trail 73 North out of La Tuque yet? It appears to be about 20 miles longer than the old trail. Is the new trail better in terms of being straighter, or is it painfully slow and twisty still like the old trail?

The only short cut I know of is the road you will save 25 pluss miles. Jump on at the relas south of 22. You can also save some time before la t.. if coming through the park by taking the one log road. Takes you right to the gas station accross the air port. Another 45 min savfings

New 73 has not been opened north of la tuque. Was not enough snow even with other trails opened at the time.

New 73 has not been opened north of la tuque. Was not enough snow even with other trails opened at the time.

The only short cut I know of is the road you will save 25 pluss miles. Jump on at the relas south of 22. You can also save some time before la t.. if coming through the park by taking the one log road. Takes you right to the gas station accross the air port. Another 45 min savfings

I know of the road that runs into Relias 22, but have never heard of the log road short cut out of La Tuque. I now where the airport is in La Tuque though.

Last year someone posted a lake you can run to cut off a ton of time. I even see the lake on the map just not sure how to get on and off of it.

I know of the road that runs into Relias 22, but have never heard of the log road short cut out of La Tuque. I now where the airport is in La Tuque though.

Last year someone posted a lake you can run to cut off a ton of time. I even see the lake on the map just not sure how to get on and off of it.

Next time at the gas station go to the back head right on the trail for 100 yards a road will go off to the left take it. It is approx 3 mile and will take you directly onto the trail in the park. Once you do it you will realize you passed it a thousand time and never thought about it it blends in. I don't know about the lake but I do seem to remember a few log roads that cut some time 1/3 way up trail I would have to see them to remember. You could go through lake Edward to St francois that saves 1/2 day.

Hi Bob,

There are lakes that are near 73 but I have always stayed on the trail. Looking at the map, it doesn't look like any of them would save a lot of time.

The only other short cut that they may have been refering to out of La Tuque is heading south on 347. This is the trail that goes north up to Odanak and then makes a u-turn heading back south to Matawin. Not far out of La Tuque you can get on a lake and cut off the big loop up to Odanak. It is the old trail from before Odanak. I know it doesn't help you on your route this time but that is the only thing that comes to mind.

Roberval to La Tuque via 83 and 73 isn't a bad day.

Jack

What gas station rmk? Relais 22? Or in la tuque?

I'm talking about the one in La tuque cross from the air port Irving I think? Generally I'm coming from saint Raymond I use that to shave some time. I don't know about that trail or heard of that one out towards Odin-ac (sp?) I came that way via grand Meir to relais 22 it could be things blend. If I want to get to the lake or back quick I use lac Edward not in early season

Bob, your talking about the Saint-Maurice river that runs North out of La Tuque. The same river that parallels route 155. The locals told us that you could run that river North towards Relais 22 and it would eventually connect back up with trail 73. It supposedly saves a bunch of time and avoids the twisty part of 73. We just need to figure out where to jump on the river coming South from Relais 22 on our way to La Tuque. Or we just come down 355 and be done with it. Just hate to miss 83 between Roberval and Relais 22.

Hi Bob,

There are lakes that are near 73 but I have always stayed on the trail. Looking at the map, it doesn't look like any of them would save a lot of time.

The only other short cut that they may have been refering to out of La Tuque is heading south on 347. This is the trail that goes north up to Odanak and then makes a u-turn heading back south to Matawin. Not far out of La Tuque you can get on a lake and cut off the big loop up to Odanak. It is the old trail from before Odanak. I know it doesn't help you on your route this time but that is the only thing that comes to mind.

Roberval to La Tuque via 83 and 73 isn't a bad day.

Jack

Thanks Jack - I know what you are talking about with 347 going to Odanak. That is our destination for that leg of the trip actually. Two years ago with did River Mattawin (Richards Place) to Roberval in a day. What a great day that was. I will keep looking for that short cut of maybe it is just me dreaming of a short cut.

Bob

Bob, your talking about the Saint-Maurice river that runs North out of La Tuque. The same river that parallels route 155. The locals told us that you could run that river North towards Relais 22 and it would eventually connect back up with trail 73. It supposedly saves a bunch of time and avoids the twisty part of 73. We just need to figure out where to jump on the river coming South from Relais 22 on our way to La Tuque. Or we just come down 355 and be done with it. Just hate to miss 83 between Roberval and Relais 22.

That is it exactly. I would really like to show the boys Relais 22 and that stretch of 83. But am I sure 93 in the Valins will be good enough for them.

That is it exactly. I would really like to show the boys Relais 22 and that stretch of 83. But am I sure 93 in the Valins will be good enough for them.

I'll ride the twisty part of 73 N of LaTuque to get to ride 83 E of Relay 22 to the bridge...giddie up :)

We don't need no stinking short cut...how bout the LONG cut??? :)

I'll ride the twisty part of 73 N of LaTuque to get to ride 83 E of Relay 22 to the bridge...giddie up :)

We don't need no stinking short cut...how bout the LONG cut??? :)

Definitely in my top 5. We will be going south from Roberval to La Tuque though. :drinks:

We came down the river trail last year leaving Relais 22 on our way back to Richards place........ river was fast and cut out a ton of time..... would recommend if in a hurry back down ...

Definitely in my top 5. We will be going south from Roberval to La Tuque though. :drinks:

If you want another awesome trail take the 369 south from 83. One of the best trails in Quebec, especially the section from Casey to Lac Chateavert. While we are talking about short cuts has anyone ever taken the one that supposedly cuts across a lake from Dam Gilardo to Windigo?

If you want another awesome trail take the 369 south from 83. One of the best trails in Quebec, especially the section from Casey to Lac Chateavert. While we are talking about short cuts has anyone ever taken the one that supposedly cuts across a lake from Dam Gilardo to Windigo?

Now you did it!! Cat's out of the bag! Just ran that coming back down from Parent Wednesday after Christmas. What a blast :clapping:

Now you did it!! Cat's out of the bag! Just ran that coming back down from Parent Wednesday after Christmas. What a blast :clapping:

I know, I almost hated to hit the "add reply" button but I think we are safe Snowbound :good: I have noticed over the years most guys avoid that trail for some reason, I think it actually has something to do with their starting point being either Shawinigan or St. Raymond. That's why when I hear comments like it's too crowded, or overrated, or old news about the SMDS and St. Zenon area I just smile and nod my head, they don't even know for the last few years there hasn't been that much traffic there. Oh well better for us cause I don't think anyone in Quebec grooms more often than that area. :drinks:

You are talking about the 369 out of L'Etape right? Never been on it but have taken 23 many times headed up to the Valins.

You are talking about the 369 out of L'Etape right? Never been on it but have taken 23 many times headed up to the Valins.

No this trail cuts south off of 83 between Wemotaci and Parent. It goes through Casey and tthen past Kanawata to Lac du Repos where you can hit 33 north to Manawan or south to SMDS or take the 345 south and either go down to Riviere Matawin or in the direction of Le Cabanon. :drinks:

No this trail cuts south off of 83 between Wemotaci and Parent. It goes through Casey and tthen past Kanawata to Lac du Repos where you can hit 33 north to Manawan or south to SMDS or take the 345 south and either go down to Riviere Matawin or in the direction of Le Cabanon. :drinks:

Gotcha - I see it on a map now. Thanks