La Tuque to Relais 22 via trail 73

revct1

We are planning a trip starting this Friday, Feb 4th, and part of the route is taking us thru La Tuque to Relais 22 on trail 73. We've read that 73 has been re-routed to go past Odanak but it is "rough - plowed" for a 5 mile distance somewhere after Odanak and before Relais 22.

We were wondering how bad is this area. Is it passable? Is it just a short section or is it all of the new trail 73 that is rough?

Has anyone been over there this year?

Thanks for any info.

Jack & Sandi

We stayed at Odanak this Saturday. That trail out of La Tuque toward Relais 22 is a twisty goat path. It was a crapy trail years ago and its worse now. It's absolutely passable (and there is a section of the road that is plowed and rocky) but I can drive trails like that here in NY if I wanted that crap. I was hoping the new trail would be inproved, not worse. I was told it was re-routed because of some farmers in the La Croche area.

Anyway, if I had to go that way, I'd go through Windigo and connect up with 83. I hear there is a local trail that dumps you onto the lake (or reservoir) off of 73. It shows up on the local map for that area. I asked the guy at Odanak how 73 North of there was and he said not that good (meaning twisty most of the way). However, 73 was freshly groomed when we were there but painfully slow for Canada. If your heading that way just to hit 83 to Roberval, it might be worth the pain. That trail is great!

Edited by stupe

Thanks Stupe. We are trucking to maybe St Raymond (this could be changed) and then a half day on the sleds to La Tuque for the night. The next night is at Kanawata so 73 was the original choice. It may be time to re-think the route.

We are doing a loop out thru Abitibi then trail 93 back to the HI, Jonquiere and back to where ever we leave the truck.

Thanks again.

Jack & Sandi

Looking at the FCMQ trail map, it shows the new 73 not to far from the east side of Reservoir Blanc. Windigo is on the west side of Reservoir Blanc. I called Windigo and the lady I spoke with said there is a local trail that crosses the reservoir to Duplessis.

I think this is the trail you were referring to Stupe. Did you see any signs for Duplessis? I don't think it is much of a town. It may just be a fishing camp.

This would cut out the biggest part of the cranking 73 and shorten the ride to 83 west.

Has anybody else been over there this year?

Thanks again for any input.

Jack

Yup, that's the trail I'm talking about. We never went that far North on 73 so I didn't see anything but I would bet its pretty well marked. If you use a GPS you'll know exactly where you are. Worst case is you just continue up 73 to Relais 22. Good luck.

I just got back from La T. We had planned to go that route thru the resevoir but extreme cold and a downed sled made the trip short.

I had called Duplessis and they have gas, food and lodging and comfirmed that crossing the resevoir was possible, especially if you are going to Kanawata.

Just want to let everyone know that if you are going up the 355 pipe line to La Tuque when you exit the last section of pipe line into the woods you come to an intersection and a left for L.T. thru the woods and that section is bad and icy. A local told us to take the local trail and bypass it to 73 then left on 73. That is go straight at that intersection all the way to 73. We did it on the way down because we wanted to get to the Bombardier place early. If you are going south from L.T. pass the 355 intersection, stay on 73 south then right on this local trail (at end of lake). It was the best trail by far this week, even saw Moose. It is a atv trail #63 which they are grooming. It is marked on the Mauricie map. A must do if in the area!

Thanks Stupe. We are trucking to maybe St Raymond (this could be changed) and then a half day on the sleds to La Tuque for the night. The next night is at Kanawata so 73 was the original choice. It may be time to re-think the route.

We are doing a loop out thru Abitibi then trail 93 back to the HI, Jonquiere and back to where ever we leave the truck.

Thanks again.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack, not sure why you are going from LaTuque to Kanawata so I fiured I would post. Because you are heading to the Abitibi,I think you have some better options. If Kanawata is an actual goal I would either leave from LeCabanon- they have better conditions right now than st. Raymond and you can skip 73 altogether plus Kanawata is an easy 1/2 day ride or go up to Matawin and take 360 to 345 up to 369 to Kanawata. If Kanawata is not a must stop and you are dead set against leaving from LeCabanon you could go the way you are planning and either stay at Casey or go on to Parent which would not be bad. :drinks:

Hi Rick,

We have never stayed at Kanawata and we like to put a couple of new stays on a big trip just to try different places.

La Tuque is our first night so on one hand we could stay most any place. We are driving up early Friday morning to be at Valcourt for 8:00 AM. If conditions are good, we will leave the truck there and ride a full day to La Tuque. If conditions are poor, we will truck to St Raymond and ride a half day to La Tuque.

At the end of the trip, we will ride to the truck in either St Raymond or add one extra day of riding and ride to Valcourt.

We have left the truck at Le Cabanon and it is a very secure setup, one of the best. But the trails in that area have usually been rough. Maybe just bad timing.

Matawin we have never left the truck at. I don't know what they have for security. On the other hand, St Raymond I have had very good luck with. Valcourt we have friends in and can leave the truck there also.

Thanks for the options though. It is always good to hear another point of view.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks Dooright,

That map shows the local trail to Duplesis.

Jack & Sandi

Hi jack and sandy,

I have been staying at kanawata for years i think it is a great stop not to be missed.

Worth the effort. For sure.

Just my 2cents. Call ahead for sure.

Its a bummer for the "new 73" was hoping for better. Have not ridden it but not sure i want to hearing the stories.

Go to kanawata from mattawin the trail is much more reliable.

Start in shawinigan good safe parking safari or auberge governor with resto pub 57 right next door(not to be missed)

Easy ride to kanawata and off to the west you go.

Don

X2 on Kanawata it is an excellent place, def. not trying to talk you out of it. I have stayed there many times including a week of walleye fishing. Mario and his crew are great and you and Sandi will love it. I would take the trail from Matawin and skip 73 north of La Tuque. The 73 north always sucked before and if it is worse now it could be unbearable. If you come in from La Tuque to 83 west then down 369 you will have a good 30 miles from 83 to Kanawata that you will have to backtrack on the next day. Don't get me wrong the 25 miles from Casey to Kanawata is one of the best streches in Quebec. You will definitely want to make a reservation for Kanawata even though they are in the sticks they get alot of groups coming through. :good:

Thanks guys,

We make reservations ahead. La Tuque, Kanawata, Forestal, Mataqami, and the rest of the trip. I know a lot of riders that just wing it but we feel better knowing there is a warm bed and hot meal waiting for us.

We'll post what we find. As it stands right now we're going to attempt the new 73 to Duplessis and then cross the reservior to Windigo and continue on 83 west.

Happy trails to all.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

We are planning a trip starting this Friday, Feb 4th, and part of the route is taking us thru La Tuque to Relais 22 on trail 73. We've read that 73 has been re-routed to go past Odanak but it is "rough - plowed" for a 5 mile distance somewhere after Odanak and before Relais 22.

We were wondering how bad is this area. Is it passable? Is it just a short section or is it all of the new trail 73 that is rough?

Has anyone been over there this year?

Thanks for any info.

Jack & Sandi

Sorry a little late on reply, just got back. Avoid the new TQ73 between La Tuque and Relais 22. La Tuque is very low on snow and the new trail is a disaster. Honestly even 2 feet of new snow will not help many sections of that trail. Currently it should be closed. In need of a total re-route and much more snow. I bet currently the worse trail in the entire Province.

Sorry a little late on reply, just got back. Avoid the new TQ73 between La Tuque and Relais 22. La Tuque is very low on snow and the new trail is a disaster. Honestly even 2 feet of new snow will not help many sections of that trail. Currently it should be closed. In need of a total re-route and much more snow. I bet currently the worse trail in the entire Province.

The exact same feelings were echoed to me by other riders who rode this mess. Tthey also felt it should not be posted as open due to the condition.

Andy

Thanks for all the info guys. Here is the scoop.

We drove the truck to St Raymond on Friday and rode to La Tuque Friday afternoon.

Saturday morning we headed for the trail to hell.

1.) La Tuque to Odanak, 15 miles poor but rideable.

2.) Odanak to Auberge Vermillon. The first couple of miles bad then the trail crosses a road and the trail goes down a plowed road for 11 miles. Yes rocks and bad riding. No shoulders to ride on. A detour halfway down this road sends you down the power lines to save 3 or 4 miles but the detour isn`t groomed. We stayed on the gravel road. The only thing that made it passable is that there was about an inch of snow the night before. The next 7 miles are on a so called trail. This is passable if you like slow motorcrossing. Then you are back on another plowed road for 5 miles and then another motorcross trail. Eventually ending at Vermillon. This appears to be a ATV club. Maybe that is why the trails are made the way they are. They aren`t made with the snowmobiler in mind.

3.) The next section, which goes to Relais 22, we were hoping to avoid by cutting across Reservoir Blanc to Windigo. We heard this was possible. Earlier at Odanak we met Don and Joe from Maine. They were attempting to travel the same way. Don had a GPS. Mine is on order, :p.

Twelve miles north of Vermillon there is a sign at an intersection that points the direction to Duplessis. One note: You can only read the sign coming from Relais 22 and not the direction we were coming from. Duplessis is on the east shore of the reservior and Windigo is on the west shore.

We followed the trail to Duplessis which is well marked. At Duplessis, which is a very small relais, we asked the owner which way to Windigo.

He only spoke french and pointed down an unmarked trail. A short distance down the trail and it puts you on the reservoir. The trail is not marked. Following the majority of the previous sleds, we stayed near the left shore for about five miles until we saw a railroad bridge over part of the reservoir. Sandi`s eagle eyes notice the earlier sled marks bearing off to the right. A quick look at the map and the GPS confirmed it. You cross the reservoir as soon as you see the railroad bridge and start staying near the righthand shore. About three miles more and Relais Windigo is on the right shore. It is a non-descript building but did have a small sled and a flag with the name Windigo. There is a small island in the reservior at this point you can use for reference.

The new 73 is bad. A day of sunshine will turn it into dirt. A little more snow and it may almost be passable. The shortcut across the reservoir is OK and there is gas at Windigo but it doesn`t show it on the trail map I have.

From Windigo up to 83 and there on it got better. We`ll post on the regional forums for the rest of the trip.

Jack & Sandi :rolleyes: