Wish her a speedy recovery

Je me souviens

Thanks again for all the well wishes and replies.

Shannon is doing better every day, but it will be a long recovery for sure.

I love this site for its personalities and friendly nature, beats the usual how fast mine goes and how much bling mine has, on the other sites. Everyone shares information and pictures openly, and that's what keeps me coming back here. I am sure most of you, if not all, are tired of reading my posts, however I am confined to being a nurse at the house, so the computer is my only outlet for now. Over 2 feet of fresh snow here in Plattsburgh, can you say renegade needed? :clapping:

Je me souviens: Hello from across the lake.

Best wishes for your girlfriend. That is real scary and you are doing a service to others by posting your story.

And, you say she's ready to head back up. It's time to buy that girl an engagement ring!!!

And, And, I grew up about 7 miles from Quebec. I was skiing in the Eastern Townships a week ago. Dear Quebec: Thank you for hockey, the best beer and women that don't age.

NW_Vermont.

I am really upset that you were unable to get a quick and proper response from e-vac, let me tell you that it is a major concern for all of us here in clova and that we are presently working on being able to offer all of our visitors and residents as much medical help and service that is possible without being a doctor or nurse. My husband has joined the town concel and will be in charge of health and security for clova. His first priority will be to get some 1st responders trained in the village, then will will work on getting some first aid training. The responder course is 60 hrs, and an additional course is given for 1st reponders that will be alound to transport injured sleder, vvters and all other medical needs victims. We also have a evac sled here so we are working on getting some signs on the trails to be able to find us. we are really working hard at this should you have any helpful comments that we can pass on to the town of Latuque ( responsible for approving our project ) please send them to us and we surely pass them on to proper people it might help us all the training we need to help all future visitors to clova.

thanks

carol and alain

hoteltamarac@hotmail.com

p.s. hope your girlfriend is up and giving you a hard time :blink:

Again many thanks to all who have added their well wishes for Shannon.

Condition update: So far we have seen a neurological surgeon who has assured us that the vertebre do not need surgery so long as they continue to heal in the correct position. We have an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon on Monday, to see about the various other fractures, hip, ribs and pelvis. All in all three weeks into this ordeal, I would have to say mobility is increasing every day, but slowly.

Yes Carol & Alain, she is up giving me a hard time, but that what love is all about. :pardon:

As far as evac from Clova, we headed up to your beautiful town in order to get away from the crowds, which can be a double edge sword. On one hand you have less chance of meeting idiots on the trails, but you are deep into the woods, which as we knew and confirmed, it is extremely difficult to get medical attention in a hurry. I like what you have planned for the training and signs concerning your ability to be a first responder. In my town we also rely on volunteers to get you to the hospital and the care before you reach the hospital, both my parents are involved, as my father is an EMT, emergency medical technician, and my mother has completed her EMT training but usually drives the ambulance.

What concerns me the most about the things I have learned from this catastrophy is what is Quebec's plan as far as medical evacuation for snowmobilers. :unsure: They adverstise heavily abroad, come here and enjoy snowmobilers paradise, quick to mention, and I agree that they have the world's premier trail network. However the sport is dangerous no matter what precautions you take, and yet they have no plan in place for medical evacuation. :shok: For instance, you look at trail 23 from Sweet Baby St-Raymond in the Portneuf area, there must be close to 400 sleds if not more that travel through the Parc des Lurentides on any given week end, and yet this season was the first season they had a medi-vac sled set up in L'Etape. So what was the plan before this year for emergencies? :lazy: I know you have be cautious and prepared, but that is just plain rediculous considering the flow of traffic in that specific area. I know that there is really no comparison between Clova/Parent to Mont Laurier area, to St-Raymond/Quebec city to Saguenay area for many reasons, primarily population. So I do not expect relais L'Evasion or Le Pensive to have an emergency evac sled ready to go. What the economically feasble solution to this situation is still a mystery to me, one thing I do know, is that there will be more tragedies, like this one could have easily been, if the network does not have solutions in place to deal with accidents in remote locations. :help: One thing that stood out to me right from the first communication with the Surety du Quebec, was that they seem to be more concerned with getting the next police post or region to be on the hook with the task of retrieval than they are with getting somebody out to you for help.

As far as the SPOT vs. Satellite phone debate goes, both are necessary for the remote locations, that is for sure, I am leaning towards the SAT phone due to the point that someone brought to the discussion, that 2-way conversation is the most reliable way to know what the next step in the rescue is, and knowing who is coming where and when to get you would be the most useful. However as my long winded paragraph above denotes, or at least what I was trying to denote, is that who is coming with what and where to get you is still a very perplexing issue. If you are seriously injured, you may end up being told to meet the ambulance at the next road crossing in order to make it to the hospital. This could be very frustrating to someone with little or no knowledge or experience in emergency transport for injured people. It would seem to me that for the amount of revenue generated by snowmobiling in Quebec for the province and towns associated with the network, it would not be much to ask to have a sled and tobogan equipped and ready for emergencies at the outskirts of each town. This may seen nutz to some of you that take the time to read this novella I have composed, but to me taking the network of trails province wide, and dissecting them geographically, so that each mile of trail has a plan in place ahead of time indicating who is going to the accident scene, with what method of recovery, would not be much to ask. Keeping in mind that behind forest products as a whole, snowmobiling is Quebec's second largest revenue stream, so I have been told. The number that rings out in my mind is 300 million annually.

Sorry for the long post. :drinks:

George.

post-385-022125800 1300578700_thumb.jpg

George, Please call me when you have a moment. I would like to talk with you about forwarding your experience in directions which could further emergency coordination efforts.

As you know the AdmdQ has been inviolved in this effort, but the going is slow with funding often difficult. In your example of the program in Park Laurentide that the AdmdQ assisted in developing, the final implimentation was sifnificantly restricted due to a funding shortage of a mear $6,000. You may recall, that BRP had donated sleds, trailers were ready, the equipment was in place, the first of 2 e-vac sleds was contructed, the personnel and protocals were in place, but the final training and operational budget of $6,000 to put the ball in complete play, never came. While the coordination and protocols for emergency service in this important but remote area were improved, the highest level of "on the ground" capabilities were not realized. $6,000..........$6,000. The AdmdQ is continuing to promote this need and put pressure on government to step up. This is where the AdmdQ is at it's best because it is not beholden to the company line or government funding. The FCMQ (who you would think would address needs of snowmobilers)never talks about anything negative (death, accidents, dangers, lack of e service) and certainly would never speak up and bite (or critisize) the funding hand that feeds them.

Sorry....... I just wanted to ask you to call and now I've got my own little tirade going. The AdmdQ's funding for traveling to attend meetings, promote awarness of issues important to snowmobilers and the related necessary administrative capabilities comes primarily from memberships, please stay current and promote the participation of new members.

Je me souviens,

I'm sorry to hear about your adventure in Clova. Yes it is a remote area not easily accessible especially in the winter but at the end everyone is recovering and for the best.

As Greg mentioned your adventure should served to help others in the future. The FCMQ could help put in place a program but in Quebec it is the Ministry of Sécurité Publique who is responsible and depending on the region of la Belle Province, the program may be or may not active. And personnally I am pissed at the situation but we have to say, as often, we need almost a tragedy to force something good to happen.

Therefore I would strongly suggest that this whole adventure be reported to the FCMQ and the MTQ (which stand for the Ministry of Transportation) and the Ministry of Sécurité Civile.

In remore locations we do need to train people to help with that kind of situation while when this occur closer to big cities, the emergency public services are closer and more present.

Hope to hear that you will be riding again in la Belle Province.

Nancy

Webmaster

www.oursblancs.com

Edited by Ours Blancs

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about the accident. We hope things are getting better for you and your girlfriend. Best wishes for a full recovery and a better next season. Jeff & Sandy