2/5-2/9, 1,372 Miles, 5 Days, All (almost) Mint!

PLAYHARD

Sunday) Shawinigan local trails, up Grand Mere (Richard's is definitely closed), to 360 east, up the Pipeline to La Tuque for gas, up 73 to Relais 22 for lunch & gas, out 83 east to Chateau Roberval: 292 miles

Monday) Across the lake to Chambord (for a busted Yammi mirror replacement cuz we forgot about Saint Felicien), up 373 to 93 north to the Saw Mill for gas & "lunch" from the vending machines since the kitchen had just closed, up 93 (we had a feeling there was a groomer coming our way, even through the trial didn't need it, and we kept an extra eye out and sure enough) to Hotel Nordic Chibougamau: 250

Tuesday) HUGE FAST HOLY CRAP 93 west to Depanneur Desmaraisville for 20 liter cans of gas & cafe & chocolate chaud right off the trail (819) 753-2305, more HUGE FAST HOLY CRAP 93 west to Lebel sur Quevillon for lunch & gas, more HUGE FAST HOLY CRAP 93 south through Senneterre, to 83 east to Pourvoirie Lac Faillon: 324 miles

Wednesday) 83 east through Clova for gas, through Parent for lunch & gas (yeah the Yammis are thirsty buggers), south down the local trail (369?) through Casey to Kanawata: 272 miles

Thursday: Back up Kanawata's "driveway" 8 miles to the local trail south that got crappy right out of Chateauvert so after a few miles we jumped off and boondocked following old trails on the trakmaps right down to 345 to Repo for gas, 345 down to 360 east into Matawin for lunch & gas at Marineau, back down Grand Mere to Shawini: 234 miles

Every place we stayed &/or stopped at was friendly & helpful. EVERY mile of the 1,372 was groomed so perfectly that we won't mention the 4o miles of whooped out drifts east of Auberge Balbuzard on 83 (it kept us honest). Even the scraggly new trail that takes you in the north side of Shawinigan was groomed! Trails ranged from good hard packed with plenty of crumbs to a big base with a few inches of fresh cream cheese. Weather was a mix of clear & grey & snowy. Gas mileage... we don't talk about it (The Vector used 25% less fuel than the Apex so i make out when we split the bill!)

ALL GOOD!!

Nice report David! Sounds like a great trip. We came close to passing you guys on sunday as we were coming down from LSJ while you were heading nord. You got anything planned for March 1st? Was that the first time over the top for you? I love that run.

Best,

Tom

Nope. No problem with the canned gas @ Depanneur (convenience store) Desmaraisville, totally the opposite, they were friendly & helpful & spoke English, the brother is well prepared with a wide-mouth funnel and a wire attached to it that hooks onto your handlebar as a thrid hand so there's no spillage!

I had my Apex temp light come on a couple of times on those extended 80+ mph sections in the morning, which I thought was weird since it was wicked cold that morning, but I just backed off it for a bit each time and it went out. I need to try what I saw on another thread next time and roll her over and see if there's ice built up blocking the exchangers.

Sounds like an excellent trip, next time you are at Kanawata try going out the real driveway its 4 1/2 miles to the road then about 20 miles down to the right turn to Repos (you will see the trail cross) that is usually mint and fast. :good:

Sounds like an excellent trip, next time you are at Kanawata try going out the real driveway its 4 1/2 miles to the road then about 20 miles down to the right turn to Repos (you will see the trail cross) that is usually mint and fast. :good:

Now someone tells us about a 4 1/2 mile driveway :-)

Just did that it is actually 34 miles total and I think we did it in about 25 minutes. after the driveway we did 70 to 75 mph the rest of the way.

Nope. No problem with the canned gas @ Depanneur (convenience store) Desmaraisville, totally the opposite, they were friendly & helpful & spoke English, the brother is well prepared with a wide-mouth funnel and a wire attached to it that hooks onto your handlebar as a thrid hand so there's no spillage!

I had my Apex temp light come on a couple of times on those extended 80+ mph sections in the morning, which I thought was weird since it was wicked cold that morning, but I just backed off it for a bit each time and it went out. I need to try what I saw on another thread next time and roll her over and see if there's ice built up blocking the exchangers.

How much gas do they carry? Can they handle filling 6 sleds say 5 gallons in each sled? It would save a lot of time filling there rather than going all the way into Waswanipi.

Just did that it is actually 34 miles total and I think we did it in about 25 minutes. after the driveway we did 70 to 75 mph the rest of the way.

Or you can do it the way we did last trip leave Kanawata 4 1/2 miles out driveway 20 miles to turn then find the last guy was dragging his bags the whole way andhave to go 20 miles back then turn around and go 30 miles to Repos. Still got there and left before all the tour groups from Kanawata :lol:

Got it. The real deal to Repo is a left out of Kanawata'S driveway down the "road", but WE HAD AN AWESOME TIME BOONDOCKING!...

http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=338&st=80

GPS - Layouts and waypoints

We just did a 5-day 1,300mi loop around Mauricie and the trakmaps were way wrong 25% of the time. Like they had old maps from previous years. Then on the last day the trail south from Chateauvert was mauled by a truck's tire tracks and after a few miles of crap we bailed following the "old" trails on the trakmaps and it took us right along some beatuful boondocking to the perfectly groomed 345 into Repo. So, after all... no complaints!!

Got it. The real deal to Repo is a left out of Kanawata'S driveway down the "road", but WE HAD AN AWESOME TIME BOONDOCKING!...

http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=338&st=80

GPS - Layouts and waypoints

We just did a 5-day 1,300mi loop around Mauricie and the trakmaps were way wrong 25% of the time. Like they had old maps from previous years. Then on the last day the trail south from Chateauvert was mauled by a truck's tire tracks and after a few miles of crap we bailed following the "old" trails on the trakmaps and it took us right along some beatuful boondocking to the perfectly groomed 345 into Repo. So, after all... no complaints!!

Sorry we were not trying to hijack your thread, I guess the iceman, myself and Dave kinda got into a personal conversation there about trails we are real familiar with. I don't want to lead anyone astray and tell them to always take the road from Repos all the way to the entrance to Kanawata. This is plowed at times through the winter as this is the only access for them by truck to get supplies and gas. I have at times seen this road sanded and sometimes have passed log trucks, what's worse is sometimes it is not sanded from Repos until you get halfway there and then you are committed. In past years the trail to Chateauvert has been good just longer. The problem sometimes which you encountered is they use the trail to get in by truck. I have also seen them open it up in the middle of the winter with a backhoe to get the gas truck in. The old trail from chateauvert directly to 345 bypassing Repos is a very nice trail through an old burn. As far as the trakmaps I agree 100% with you I just got it for the first time this year I never had a GPS before and I found it to be off alot as well but I think most of the time you pretty much have to follow the groomed trail as sometimes the trail can be rerouted in the middle of the season. Sounds like you had an excellent trip and some nice pics. How did you resize your pics? :drinks:

I'm not a techie so i'm POSITIVE this is not the best way to resize & attach pics, but...

I highlighted the pics i wanted from my hard drive, then right clicked to send them via e-mail, then copied them to the clipboard, then saved/pasted them into a new folder, then did the "Use Full Editor" function here and selected them one at a time.

(If anyone can tell me the "real" way that'd be much appreciated!)