Trip report 2/9 & 2/10

600IQHO

Short trip but I needed to get out and and it was worth it. Arrived at Le Cabanon on 2/8 and found the place very busy.

post-269-0-58144600-1329009076_thumb.jpg

After a short 60 loop Wednesday evening to try out the new sleds we departed about 8:00 am Thursday morning. Trails where smooth and fast with plenty of snow. We intended to take the 345 across the new bridge but this trail was closed so we crossed at the Damn.

post-269-0-85879300-1329009124_thumb.jpg

360 after the Damn was smooth, turned north on 345 and freshley groomed.

post-269-0-20476500-1329009271_thumb.jpg

We Fueled up at Repo and headed to Kanawata. This trail followed the road the entire way. The first part was not that good as we had to keep crossing the road, I should have just kept on the road as it was snow covered, and then they just groomed half the road after a while and it was not that bad. We ate at Kanawata and headed to 83. This section was smooth and fast as usual. 83 was also in excellent shape and fast.

post-269-0-14554300-1329009405_thumb.jpgpost-269-0-81459800-1329009508_thumb.jpg

We arrived up at Barrage Gouin earlier than I would have liked so we took a walk and snapped some pictures.

post-269-0-68789900-1329009695_thumb.jpg

After a good meal and breakfast the next morning we headed back out. This was a snowy cloudy day so we took very few pictures. We intended to take 83 west to Parent and then down 13 to 100 Lacs and then the 33 back. I wanted to take the opposite trail heading out of Gouin. I saw the red stakes and took off after just a half mile it did not look right but we kept on going. After a while the trail came out on the ice for the second time after going about a mile across the ice I soon realized that we are headed to Obedjiwan. We then doubled back and after our 40 mile tour of resevoir Gouin we headed down AN1 toward 83. At this point we decided to head back the way we came and we stopped at Repo for lunch. Very busy.

post-269-0-00192200-1329010420_thumb.jpg

We then headed down 33 to St. Micheal, temps warmed up quite a bit and traffic was heavy and the trailed showed the effects. This was the only bad trail that we were on. It was a good trip snow coverage was really good and other than 1 bad trail and 1 mental mistake it was well worth the drive for just 2 days, 499 miles total.

So am I reading this right ? There is a trail to Obedjiwan staked on the reservoir ? So if that was the case is there a trail from Obedjiwan to Chibougamou ? I alway's wondered if that could be done somehow, and was told the indians do it, but there was no groomed trail ever going to go through there. Too dangerous.

So am I reading this right ? There is a trail to Obedjiwan staked on the reservoir ? So if that was the case is there a trail from Obedjiwan to Chibougamou ? I alway's wondered if that could be done somehow, and was told the indians do it, but there was no groomed trail ever going to go through there. Too dangerous.

Yes there is a trail to Obedjiwan. Not a normal 2 or 3 sled wide trail but a trail and the ice crossings are marked with some stakes but mostly small pine trees and the trail through the woods is 1 sled wide. I do not think there is a trail from there to Chibougamou. I did not go all the way either I turned around about 20 miles up the trail.

Sounds like you had a good trip Dave. You were better off not going down the 13 and back to Manawan that trail usually is not too good and the way it runs this year is pretty long. From Parent down 13 by 100 lacs and back to LeCabanon would be a minimum this year of about 250 of not such great trail. Skippy this has been about the third year for a marked trail to Obedjiwan. If you are heading west on 83 you have 2 choices, watch for the cutoff for Barrage Gouin and pick it up there or take 83 a little past the outfitter Halteparche and the orange trail starts to the right. This will take you up to Barrage Gouin as well then you could follow to Obedjiwan onto outfitter Martin then down to Clova. About the only place I have seen it on a map is on the place mats in the wood runner trail territory which would include Casey,Parent,Clova,100 Lacs etc. I have a feeling a little research on the fcmq website would land you onto their website where you probably could see it. There is no marked trail from Obedjiwan to Chibougamau but there is a way from there if you would get a guide from the indian reservation. I hear it is mostly lake running and portages and you would need a guide. I have only ever talked to one guy that has done it. Keep in mind if you do that though you are skipping the railbed from LSQ to Chapais probably one of the straightest trails in Quebec. :drinks:

Did it this week-end the whole way, super easy, super fun.

Yes there is a trail to Obedjiwan. Not a normal 2 or 3 sled wide trail but a trail and the ice crossings are marked with some stakes but mostly small pine trees and the trail through the woods is 1 sled wide. I do not think there is a trail from there to Chibougamou. I did not go all the way either I turned around about 20 miles up the trail.

post-464-0-01925800-1329169192_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-06542700-1329169199_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-21739200-1329169214_thumb.jpg

Great pictures. Can you give us a review of the new Rush sleds you were riding. They look nice.

mike

I am pretty satified with the sleds. The suspentions take a little more fine tuning than I am used to but once I had them dialed in they worked really well. I love the cargo system. The oil consumption is excellent. I did a 440 mile run without topping off oil and they each took 1-1/2 quarts to fill them. That should work out to about 1100 miles per gallon! Fuel milage was acceptable. 13.8 up to 16.4 depending on conditions. These are both 600,s. With the extra tall windshield I also thought it was a very warm ride, but it was not real cold while I was up there.

Dave,

Thanks for the sled review. I think the Rushes look sharp and I am really wanting to try one. I almost went with a Rush this year but opted out instead for a new Cat. What a mistake!!! Just picked up a new SkiDoo to get through the season but having a tough time trying to sell the Cat.

mike

I really enjoyed reading your trip report and pics :good:

The Gouin is on my target for a trip in march, never been there and everybody that ride there loved the area...

:drinks:

Alain

Thanks! Some fast trails north of Kanawata. This may have been posted before but do you know why the 345 to the new bridge is closed? Did it wash out?

This may have been posted before but do you know why the 345 to the new bridge is closed? Did it wash out?

I heard about it on the forums but didn't know the exact facts... I only know that the water level was pretty high when we passed on the 7 january. The rumor tell that it is flooded but I can't figure out how they can have miss to know the winter water level or they can't make a snowbank to link the bridge to the shore ???

I will try to have more details in the next week...

Alain