Relais 535 ???

mikerider

There was a relais on the RR bed (Trail 35} between RDL and Montmagny that was called Relais 535 or something similar. I think?? it was near Tourville. The owner and wife were good friends with Rob Lyons. I got to know them somewhat over the years then lost to touch. Today I was in the area, but several miles after Tourville the trail went left off the RR bed and it didn't look like the RR bed beyond that point was groomed, and I saw no sign of this place. Anyone know what has become of this place. I think the owners were Andre and Clavette, great folks. Mike uch

Thanks Steve. I;m thinking while headed east today just east of Tourville, Relais 540 must have been further down the RR bed easterly where I turned off. But it looked like trail 35 turned where I did and no longer goes further down the RR bed. And in Tourville there is that new and very big Restaurant on Trail 35. Mike

Mike you did not go far enough. The Railbed was detoured for a short distance but the trail returns back on the Railbed to bypass collapsed Railbed Tressel Bridge. Relais 540 is beyond the detour. Happy Riding Ken P

There was a relais on the RR bed (Trail 35} between RDL and Montmagny that was called Relais 535 or something similar. I think?? it was near Tourville. The owner and wife were good friends with Rob Lyons. I got to know them somewhat over the years then lost to touch. Today I was in the area, but several miles after Tourville the trail went left off the RR bed and it didn't look like the RR bed beyond that point was groomed, and I saw no sign of this place. Anyone know what has become of this place. I think the owners were Andre and Clavette, great folks. Mike uch

Hi Mike

As Steven said R540 and Ken P mentioned about the detour. Have fun riding!

Andy

post-14-0-93788200-1357992110_thumb.jpg

Found Relais 540 today. There is a closed sign on the door, no signs on the trail, no sign on the building, no tracks going in. Appears Andre and Clavette shut down for the winter. I wonder if the detour just down the trail hurt them. It appears the detour goes all the way over to Club Hibioux and Trail 5. Plenty of sleds using the closed section of the RR bed. mike

Found Relais 540 today. There is a closed sign on the door, no signs on the trail, no sign on the building, no tracks going in. Appears Andre and Clavette shut down for the winter. I wonder if the detour just down the trail hurt them. It appears the detour goes all the way over to Club Hibioux and Trail 5. Plenty of sleds using the closed section of the RR bed. mike

That is sad news and I am sure it makes many of us wonder what happened to those 2 good people. Many of us remember Andre had a pinned post that would give TQ35 conditions, passing of the groomer, etc. I believe he was the first person to show SnowTrackers to many of us. You could get a good meal there, get gas, or stay overnight.

I am afraid it another sign to us snowmobilers that many unfortunate factors are coming together to whittle away at our sport. Economy, fuel prices, sled prices, exchange rate - they all chip away at the businesses we need to support us.

Sad -

Godspeed to you Andre and Clavette, where ever you are. We will miss you and hope you are well.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Hi Mike! How is the riding up there. Was up last week and it was great around Thetford until Friday and the rain came about 7pm. Waited until Sat and left for home. They were talking about a warm-up thru and inc

Monday. According to the wx now the deep freeze is coming in. When I stopped at Lac DelEst in march last year they were talking about Andre at Relais 540 and I believe he was sick with C. When we went through it was late in March and they were closed. The new relais in Tourville is selling gas and they said not many sleds were stopping at Andre's. Most of them get over 100 MPT, plenty enough for Cabano or RDL or Riviere Blue. I think things are changing in our sport, faster than I like to see. Trail closings, other trails with the <fragile> signs on them,, stay on trail signs which seems to trigger some riders to go off trail. If anyone watched the accident that happened about 20 miles from Moose Valley they would never go off trail again. The perfect off trail has big surprises sometimes! Hey, have a nice time Mike. Are you going up to LSJ this year? I may go up for a ride. Take care. Karl