Viper LTX vs ACE 900 Renegade HELP!

Scranton1

Might as well add that conditions at RDL are awesome, trails groomed to perfection and traffic is light.

Very lightly snowing off and on late afternoon and this evening. Waiting to see what we get, forecast is all over the place from rain to snow.

mke

I have a 2010 600etec GTX, a 2013 600 ace TNT, a 2012 MXZX800 shortie and a VIPER LTX SE. As stated the rMotion s the REAL DEAL. The ace is DEFINITELY the QUIETEST sled built with great fuel economy and ample power for its intended purpose. I have had 13 YAMAHA'S as well as some POLARIS' too. As for the VIPER, I have just about 200 miles on it. You HAVE to go through them before riding to make sure all bolts are tight as well as hose clamps and chain case tension etc. Agreed it is ridiculous these things are not right from the factory. Considering I enjoy the tinkering it is not too big of a deal but screams of lack of quality control. The 200 miles I put on the sled so far were AWESOME! Still dialing it in but it corners flat and soaks up every bump really well. Like I said still working on getting the best balance for me. I don't do off trail riding so I cannot comment on that. The more I ride it the more the engine is coming alive. Didn't do any mileage calculations either yet, sorry. I was torn between a 1200 Doo and the VIPER myself. So far so good.

P.S. I also put on the ice attack track

Edited by Shane

Great feedback

Keep it coming!

Shane,

I don't ride off trail either but like the security of being able to float 100 miles or so when nature tries to reroute or put a saddlebag trip on hold!

Glad u like the sled!

My gut tells me if the vipers stay together they will be an incredible ride!

As of tonight I have about 725 miles on the TNT ACE. Still saying best of the my 60 or so sleds,,,,,by far.

Conditions are fast and usually get 90 to 95 on the big RR beds. Getting 20 to 21 mpg US, but again, conditions are hard and fast right now. Seems strange not to be looking for gas at 125 or so miles. In my opinion there is absolutely no telling this is a four stroke weight wise in the handling department, it drives like a two stroke always. Wasn't sure I would like the lack of engine noise, now I love the quietness.

I almost always get a bigger windshield than the medium that comes with it. Not this time. Today got very cold as the morning wore on and I was chilled a bit all day, was wearing what I usually wear for 20 below with no problems. GET the higher windshield. Was frozen last 75 miles.

Did bend the right handlebar this afternoon in St. Parmphille. Haven't seen a patch of ice anywhere on the trails this week. Came thru a blind tight corner immediately onto a 40 foot long patch of ice. Got sideways, hit snow, and rolled it hard. Slammed me to the ground on my back like a gorilla threw me down. A might sore tonight. Sled still drivable but one handlebar has a good bend. No problem driving it back to RDL. My only other mention is again, I would guess the Renegade will be slower on top end. The TNT's acceleration to 60 or 70 is incredible. Very hard hit coming out of the corners. Very, very fun sled.

mike

As of tonight I have about 725 miles on the TNT ACE. Still saying best of the my 60 or so sleds,,,,,by far.

Conditions are fast and usually get 90 to 95 on the big RR beds. Getting 20 to 21 mpg US, but again, conditions are hard and fast right now. Seems strange not to be looking for gas at 125 or so miles. In my opinion there is absolutely no telling this is a four stroke weight wise in the handling department, it drives like a two stroke always. Wasn't sure I would like the lack of engine noise, now I love the quietness.

I almost always get a bigger windshield than the medium that comes with it. Not this time. Today got very cold as the morning wore on and I was chilled a bit all day, was wearing what I usually wear for 20 below with no problems. GET the higher windshield. Was frozen last 75 miles.

Did bend the right handlebar this afternoon in St. Parmphille. Haven't seen a patch of ice anywhere on the trails this week. Came thru a blind tight corner immediately onto a 40 foot long patch of ice. Got sideways, hit snow, and rolled it hard. Slammed me to the ground on my back like a gorilla threw me down. A might sore tonight. Sled still drivable but one handlebar has a good bend. No problem driving it back to RDL. My only other mention is again, I would guess the Renegade will be slower on top end. The TNT's acceleration to 60 or 70 is incredible. Very hard hit coming out of the corners. Very, very fun sled.

mike

mike

Sad to see you got hurt, good info on the ace motor. 2015 is the year for a new one for me. I hope for the 2015 Renegade in the ace motor they put more power in them.

No studs. I have found in this situation that with studs, AND new carbides I would have been fine. But carbides don't stay sharp long and duller carbides with studs I think would not have made it through the curve and gone straight into the trees. IE, studs and dull carbides wouldn't have made the curve and hit trees instead of rolling it when it caught on snow. Who knows?

MIke

Mike

That "Bite Harder" carbide sharpener that Sag Bills buddy is marketing truly is the ticket for dressing up your carbides whenever your find them losing grip. I was skeptical when I first saw this gizmo, but I am now a believer. I've used the Bite Harder twice this year after riding in early season snow here in Pa where there was poor base on the trails and the "bides" were cutting thru to gravel and clunkers. Lost their edge real fast (six inches of carbide on shaper bars on my SLP SLT's).

I bought another one to leave in the sled and am taking a small elec drill when Krissy and I head up to Lenaudiere next week (I'm not taking my Dewalt battery drill as I've found that real cold temps take most of the snot out of the batterypack in sub-zero conditions). When you get back to the hooch at the end of the day, Just roll your sled on the side, spend two minutes on each carbide, and you're good to go.

I won't ride in early (or late) season riding in Quebec without carbides and my Ice Ripper track.

Hope your bruises fade fast.

timbo

I'm guessing none of you are near RDL right now, but if you are, just mentioning Arctic Cat has about a dozen new sleds to try out today and tomorrow,

location Universal Hotel.

So far looks like very few people, no waiting lines, good selection of models.

mike

I'm guessing none of you are near RDL right now, but if you are, just mentioning Arctic Cat has about a dozen new sleds to try out today and tomorrow,

location Universal Hotel.

So far looks like very few people, no waiting lines, good selection of models.

mike

Yeah right next thing you'll tell us there's a cheer leader convention... oh wait...

Just went out and did the Cat demo, several miles out and back. Top layer of snow had been spun to death so like riding in 2 inches of powder. Mostly smooth with very small soft bumps, just a couple bumps that were bigger.

Drove a 600 Sno Pro short track and then a 7000 (Yami motor) XF LXR with 137 coupled suspension.

Both sleds pushed bad in corners but no doubt that could be corrected.

New seat since my '12 Cat. Taller and softer, and same complaint I had with my '12, the seat is too long. At 6 ft, I can't get my butt to the back lip of the seat. My TNT the seat feels higher, softer, better shaped and I am back at the lip so I feel locked in.

The new 600 engine was very nice, fairly quiet, very livable noise level for trail riding. Seemed to have a lot of snap throughout. Rode very nice. A sled I could have and be happy.

The 7000 ZR had a somewhat different feel to the rear suspsion. A hair stiffer, and a bit more kickback over bigger bumps, enough to kick my butt off the seat.

Also the engine noise and what sounds like high revving all the time was obnoxious. The engine sounded much louder than the 600, and it was a sound I could definitely not listen to all day. Far louder than any four stroke and maybe more than some two strokes.

The 600 'felt' like it had more snort.

The Cat handlebars feel much bigger than the SkiDoo, they are fine but very much like the SkiDoo bars better.

Set up properly, I could easily live with the 600, but not the ZR 7000, not even close.

mike

• 1 month later...