A squiggly loop around the Gaspe

ODog

This is a brief review of our trip last week to the Gaspe (I'm supposed to be working, but can't stop thinking about snowmobiling in Quebec, shhh don't tell anyone). Started Monday, 2/17 in Pte-a-la-Croix north to Matane on 5. We seemed to hit this trip perfect, one day or so after the major storm (reports of 80-90cm fell), which gave the groomers time to do their thing. Very cold but beautiful trail conditions. Riotel in Matane was a very nice place to stay. Day 2 temperature coming up a bit (~10F) and some of the most dramatic trails and views I've ever seen from the seat of my sled. The trials in and out of Cap Chat (gas) and St Anne Du Monts (lunch) were breathtaking against a clear blue sky. It was starting to become obvious the challenges the groomers had over the previous 2 nights attempting to knock down the drifting snow on these narrow, mountainous trails. At one point we saw what looked like a drag had gone partially over a cliff. Maybe he backed it out there to turn around, I don't know. Tuesday night was at the Hotel Mont St Pierre. Simple, clean and cheap room with excellent food. How do they do it with such a small kitchen and staff? Easily one of the best meals on the entire trip. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Day 3 Wed and although the temp was perfect 20F, things took a bit of a turn. We had great trails until refuel stop in Petite Valle, then the woopdidoos started . . .and never ended until Gaspe (30-40mi). A bit of a disappointment but I won't dwell on it. A bright spot was lunch at the Caribou in L'Anse-a-Valleau. Arrived at Hotel Adams in Gaspe at 7PM.

Thursday plans were ambitious, make it to Murdochville for lunch/gas VIA 587/597 west (I think that's the trail #, I don't have the trail map at work). It took a bit to find the correct trail off of 5 south -like until 2PM! as it hadn't been groomed from the 2+feet of snow and many of the signs were covered with the amount of snow they have! Finally we after backtracking 3-4 times and getting local advice we stayed right at the fork about a mile in(you may know this) and embarked on a 6 hour, 24 mile challenging adventure, breaking trail through the mountains a dozen or more stuck situations and arriving at the intersection of 597 at 7:30PM. Why did we attempt this with trail sleds including 2 yammis and a 2 up? That's a question that can never be answered rationally.

90 minutes later and a beer at the Copper Hotel never tasted so good.

Friday, 'picture trail' west (again, don't remember the number, sorry)to LaCasche was everything we hoped for. Breathtaking scenery, scenic vistas around every turn, fabulously groomed trails and blue sky ~25F. I understand this trail isn't always open. If this is the case, ride it while you can.

Gas/food in Lacashe, someplace you need to go once :) then 595S for our last night in Carleton-sur-Mer at the Baie Bleue Hotel. Highly recommend this place. Right on the trail, cheap and the most comfortable bed the entire trip. Sat AM, Mother Nature's going away present to us: a quick 50 mi. ride back on 4 inch of new snow over groomed trails to the trucks in Pte-a-la-croix. Blue sky, 25F!

This was my first trip to Gaspe and won't be my last. I'll attempt to attach some photos. Thanks for reading.

post-1561-0-66888500-1393426999_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-90174000-1393427094_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-59672500-1393427207_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-32187000-1393427259_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-12066200-1393427329_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-52574300-1393427398_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-31596400-1393427461_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-66477500-1393427576_thumb.jpg

Glad you had a great trip. Yes some of the trails on the Norht shore require an exceptional groomer operator, no room for any mistakes that you will live to tell about. Most folks who have never been there really do not understand what these guys do for us, there simply would be no riding without them. I am hoping to do the Gaspe end of next week. You can't stop thinking about the trip you just had and I cannot wait to get there!!

I was glad your low oil issue was minor and everything turned out OK.

The scenery, the friendly people, the food, and the challenge of navigating nature and geography are all elements that make it addictive.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Nice report and pics Owen. We won't tell the boss you were posting but you could sneak the trail maps in to work in your lunch box.

Like the other posters say - it is a great ride in the Gaspe.

Jack & Sandi