zenon, Clova, Matagami, Chib, ?? 1/23 to??

600IQHO

Arrived at Cabaanon Saturday afternoon. This place is busy as usual on the weekend. Did a 60 mile loop to get the rust off. Trails rough as expected for all the traffic but better than I expected. Time to head north.

To continued

Day 2 Sunday

We met Eddieskidoo & Skidoo420 at breakfast.

Headed down 63 to the campground in St Michel crossed the reservoir and jumped on 33 north. This trail was showing the effects of Saturday traffic. Headed for Manawan and completely missed the trail by about 22 Miles. Continued on after that mess and had lunch at the Lu-Nic. Trails up this way are sweet. Off to 100 Lacs and then to 83 to Clova. Spent the night at the School House. 312 miles.

it was nice to meet both of you .... glad to see you made it . did our friends pass you by ? where to now? till later ed

You bet! They were like the plague! Everywhere we ended up they were there. Had lunch with them at the Lu Nic. Saw them again today in Seneterre.

Pic in Post #4 600IQHO where is it?....I want to go there.

On the 83 between 13 and Clova.

Day 3

Today Cold!! -32f this morning.

Headed west on 83, bypassed Balbuzzard and pushed on to Senneterre. Passed the groomer atthe83/386 split. Sweet first tracks on it. 161 miles by GPS these 900's are awesome on gas.

Eddie this is where I ran into your friends again. We somehow beat them there and they had a 50 Mile Headstart.

93 to Quevillon well you know its 93! Smooth and fast. Up 396 to Matagami. Smooth but could use a grooming since the last snow. Some brush and debris on the trail but still very good.

310 miles

post-269-0-32481600-1422320556_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-88385500-1422320671_thumb.jpg

Day 4

Not as cold today -19f. When we got out of town it felt like -30.

Took the 396 back south. Conditions on this trail was the same as Monday. Fuel in Quevillon and jump on 93 to Chapais. Fast and wide with some tracks. Not groomed since last snow. Did not take to long till I noticed that there were no rerouts. I was not on this trail last year but two years ago there were several reroutes around logging operations. Straight through this year and it saved 15 Miles.

Headed towards Chib trail is groomed and smooth. Arrived at the Nordic early. 245 Miles

post-269-0-25915500-1422395077_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-61890600-1422395137_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-06675000-1422395217_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-27517900-1422395239_thumb.jpg

Edited by 600IQHO

Day 5

Really cold! I don't know the exact temperature. Enviro Canada showed -29f I say BS it had to be -40 or colder. Sleds turned over really slow this morning but fired right up.

93 south trail is nearly perfect 2 track's on it. 30 miles down the trail I must be dreaming I am now the first set of tracks. Mile after mile no tracks. About 40 Miles later I see lights. Someone pinch me. I know I have to be dreaming. It's the groomer making his return trip on an already perfect trail. Almost to La Dore I catch up to and pass another groomer. I

At this point we have not passed a single sled on the trail.

Lunch at La Routier in La Dore. Now on local trail 712. At 165 Miles we pass the first sleds of th day. Next we tame 373 to local 711 to 83. Head west on 83 about a 40 stretch is just not that good. It is groomed but the ground under the snow is not that good. Then after the narrow wooden bridge it is good again all the way to Relay 22. We stop here for the night. 281 miles.

This might have been the best day of riding that we ever had!

Wow I must say I don't know you but if that's your wife riding with you then you are a lucky man! It's not all about mileage but you are pushing 300 mile days and she's good to go? Impressive.

So tell us more about those 900's when you get a chance. Just curious on power, acceleration, comfort, and mileage.

Approaching 7,000 miles on my ACE 900. Rarely get under 20 mpg US. Top speed in good going around 90 plus, have seen 98 a couple times.

I have the short track TNT, but after driving the Renegade, like the Rene a lot better. Just oil change and ride. Original belt, haven't had a clutch rebuild yet.

After owning this sled, I doubt I would ever switch over to anything else. Don't even hear the engine while cruising along. Now when I jump on a two stroke they seem loud and too much vibration. Best sled in 50 years of riding.

I'm sure Dave can add a lot about his experiences.

mike

Great pics & reporting Dave! Looks like your hitting some sweet riding. Are you able to keep up with Sharon? Love the gas mileage you're getting. Passing by Balbuzzard going west from Clova to Senneterre takes some guts!

Be safe & have fun!

Tom

I cannot pass Balbuzzard without stopping...its a disease.

Day 6 warmer -15f
83 west trail is perfect and it is back on the road this year instead of crossing back and forth into the woods. Stop at Wenogaz for gas. Local said a sled burned there yesterday? I could see where fire extinguishers were discharged. On to 345. Right out the gate trail was slightly rerouted. EW trail bulldozed looks like in the last couple of days. No snow dirt & rock. About a mile or so it is good again. Too early for lunch at Kanawata. We continue to Repos. Lunch & gas I don't really like this place anymore. Don't know why I stopped. Continue on cross the bridge head to Cabanon trail is not bad considering last weekend's traffic but they need some fresh snow here.
247 miles for the day. 1455 for the trip.

This was one of the best trips we have had. Great trails, met some really nice people and had a great time. Get here and did now is the time and the traffic is really light during the week.

post-269-0-39821900-1422570533_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-54790000-1422570581_thumb.jpg

Edited by 600IQHO

Wow I must say I don't know you but if that's your wife riding with you then you are a lucky man! It's not all about mileage but you are pushing 300 mile days and she's good to go? Impressive.

So tell us more about those 900's when you get a chance. Just curious on power, acceleration, comfort, and mileage.

Yes my wife and she is good to about 350. That is about all I am good for also.

The 900 in my opinion is the best touring engine made. Plenty of low end power. Top end is adequate about 80 on the GPS in good conditions. Renegades are geared a little lower so top end is not as fast as Mike's shorty.

Usually 20 to 23 mpg.

Almost forgot. They start when it is extremely cold. Two different mornings it was below -30f and they both started right up.

Edited by 600IQHO