Garmin Montana 600

smclelan

For the past several years I have used a Garmin 76 CSX for navigation assistance on my sled. It is a great unit and I told many people it was the greatest accessory I ever purchased for sledding. Andyman help me loading the maps and showed me a few trips in its use age. This year I purchased myself a Garmin 600 Montana for Christmas, I was a good boy!! The reason for ugrading was simply I wanted a bigger screen.

The 600 Montana is to say the least a very good unit. The larger screen is substancially easier to see at speed and on rough trails day and night. The touch screen is very easy to use and it is user friendly. I have only had it out on one trip to this point but am very happy. The only negative point I could mention is that the screen is very sensitive. I did a couple of times bump the screen when getting ready to take off and the screen would freeze. Once noticed simply touch the back screen arrow and you are back on the move. One cool little feature is the icon on the map is a snowmobile.

I strongly recommend a GPS to anyone that does any amount of sledding. I usually set mine with "track up" and have it showing about 800m ahead, certainly helps see sharp turns well before you come into them.

I joined that club last year thanks to a Quebec rider who sold me his old one and helped down load the maps, it saved me on making a ferry crossing I would have never made and showed me short cuts on days that we were late starting out in the AM due to repairs. Say what you want but would not ride without one in a snowstorm on a route you do not know. Thank you to the person who sold it to me and garmin.

This year I joined the GPS crowed. After missing a turn last year I thought it was time to let technology help an aging mind remember the trails. I went with the biggest GPS I could stick on the Skidoo glove box extension because I wanted to be able to see it while riding. A agree with smclelan it’s great for seeing those hair pin turns before you hit them. Now I wouldn’t ride without one.

20141122_161522_zps0d1810c9.jpg

I have the Nuvi 550 very nice as well and got the cradle and mounting bracket from RAM. It comes off in seconds as it just snaps into the cradle. I just get the mini sd card from trakmaps and they work great for me

I have the Nuvi 550 very nice as well and got the cradle and mounting bracket from RAM. It comes off in seconds as it just snaps into the cradle. I just get the mini sd card from trakmaps and they work great for me

x2 on that...