Joliette/Rivière Mattawin/Mastigouche reserve photo ride-report 12 march 2016

towing

Knowing the season is well advanced and having the taste to do a good one, we started directly from home (probably the last time this season) to go up north. Planned to avoid rivers, here is the final path of 352 miles we did yesterday:

carte_zpspad14zht.jpg

Saturday morning, -1C under a variable sky. Here starting the ride in the fields near home. Trail surface was rather crusty/frozen and I lowered scratchers, otherwise pretty nice.

DSC09386_zpsojljn38x.jpg

St-Felix club had groomed and it was beautiful

DSC09392_zpsw6qt0lws.jpg

Here south of St-Gabriel de Brandon

DSC09396_zpshdk8dyec.jpg

hard and fast trail

DSC09397_zpsxyumw9yl.jpg

We took advantage that it was sunny to take a picture from the new belvedere now completed near the new trail section just north of the village

DSC09400_zpsrfydqon7.jpg

Here in St-Damien direction

DSC09407_zpsg8bwigxn.jpg

At the #23/#63 junction, there was a patrol team that made us a check-up (our first time this year) we talked a bit with them ...

DSC09410_zpszvtfkri6.jpg

And we continued on the #23 north. Few bumps but fine overall

DSC09412_zps8mga1zvh.jpg

Here further north still beautiful. Just a place farther there was a water hole. Krikri has not had time to take pictures because I just slowed before and squeeze the throttle to cross it in the middle but feeling how down the back went, it was pretty deep. It was possible to pass it on the side

DSC09417_zpsmartszcv.jpg

Edited by towing

We pass the Cabanon and continued toward #345 north.

DSC09420_zpsxzsyn3vb.jpg

Few miles away, a small group of sledders were working at getting out a sled from the bush, I stopped to help. It was a group of snowmobilers from Vermont on a trip here who were recovering the sled of their friend that was at hospital after being seriously injured at the end of Friday when he miss the curve and hit trees. A foggy helmet visor would be the cause of the accident. A hard warning of the need to be always careful and attentive, just a moment of distraction or a bad decision and it can be done. Broken vertebrea doesn’t ruin only the trip, and we all know that it could have been a lot much worse ... Whishing speedy recovery to the injured.

DSC09423_zpskkvz5fjd.jpg

We then went and had to follow a little bit behind a large group but they did had a good pace

DSC09428_zpsvxrftkaj.jpg

They let us pass a little further, the conditions were good but the trail was starting to soften

DSC09429_zpstqlhn562.jpg

DSC09433_zpsmiufkoqz.jpg

We crossed the Mattawin river

DSC09435_zpsl0u09scl.jpg

On the other side there are a couple spots where the dozer has break through the trail surface because water accumulation but it pass next to each

DSC09443_zpshwfdly1j.jpg

The #360 was riding very well, even more beautiful as we went. It's always nice to ride this section that follows the river shore

DSC09458_zpsddx5jvlh.jpg

DSC09451_zpsef6oh9nr.jpg

Between mountains and rivers that trail is my prefered one.

DSC09461_zps65bptuba.jpg

DSC09466_zpszglo8mru.jpg

I could not resist and turned at 4-40 halt but nobody had been there since the last storms ... What a great idea to go there two-up on my anvil ...

DSC09468_zpsemvg3bgv.jpg

For comparison, 5 weeks apart 2 pics of the Pic-nic table ...

DSC09469_zpsa93u1oab.jpg

Same table early February:

DSC08243_zpsxexr65ja.jpg

About 18-20 inches above the pack trail. Let's say we finally did well. The snow wasn’t soft and the sun had getting a 2" wet on top. As long as I was not breaking this layer it not sink deep, thank you to my mountain skis! Impossible to backup, so we slowly pack by feet the path around the Pic-nic table which turns more tight than my touring can but by sliding the back a couple of times and pulling the ski loops to start we managed to turn back without getting really stuck.

I had show it to you 100 times but I’m not tired of this view there ...

DSC09474_zpsxhwe2pay.jpg

DSC09476_zps6gts50dl.jpg

Back on the trail

DSC09492_zpsfbbkeq1g.jpg

The river still have a strong flow

DSC09499_zpssy6d1uty.jpg

In the woods close to Marineau down the hill, 2 deer where in the trails ... here we see one

DSC09506_zpscqpcfzzr.jpg

And 2 there a little fuzzy because I have not completely stopped for the pic.

DSC09507_zpscfpo3dh3.jpg

We finally arrived for lunch at Marineau a little late at 1:30 pm.

DSC09509_zpsahnbutb8.jpg

You know you are on a big ride when you have made over 150 miles before lunch!

DSC09508_zpsoexqjobc.jpg

Also we talked a bit with BlueApexer on hcs that was also there with a couple friends and came at me after having recognize my sled.

DSC09510_zpst4loh8ce.jpg

We took back the trail at 14:40. We retraced our steps to come back

DSC09512_zps7nwz4ejz.jpg

DSC09513_zpstiqq4k2l.jpg

The trail had softened but it rides very well and at a good pace

DSC09514_zpsdnogbuo1.jpg

DSC09519_zpsgo9vuy0x.jpg

I do not know how hot it went but it was really warm. I rode a couple hour bare hands with the jacket partially unzipped and the modular helmet opened. Here a few pictures along the river

DSC09528_zpsh5lbcoez.jpg

DSC09532_zpshjaymxw7.jpg

DSC09542_zps9lrawz9c.jpg

There were a few more bumps past the #345 junction, normal because the trail takes the traffic from 2 destinations. Here crossing back the Mattawin river.

DSC09559_zpsspykhki7.jpg

DSC09564_zpsaibskj6g.jpg

We stopped to fuelup at Cabanon around 5:00 pm. To switch away from the usual main trail, we took the #23 into the Mastigouche reserve, which was still in good condition and very nice.

DSC09586_zpsl0wkwisc.jpg

The sun was already setting giving a rosy tint to the snow not in the shade.

DSC09593_zpsawpvufty.jpg

DSC09596_zps1ugnzen0.jpg

A snowmobile was stopped on the side of the trail so we stopped to ensure everything was ok. She told us that she and her boyfriend had just seen a lynx crossing the trail in front of them! I admit I was a bit jealous that we had miss it ...but it was close!

DSC09591_zpsrlmxkjwe.jpg

We continued and then took the # 350 to join the # 23 south. We stopped at Réal Massé at 6:45.PM. We were a little puzzled infront the auberge ... we saw that there were people in the chalets but no snowmobile infront of the auberge and dining room completely deserted.

DSC09602_zpshjapjrsh.jpg

We walked in and the waitress confirmed that they were opened but no one had stopped since 4:00 p.m.! We stayed for our supper break. It was weird to be in that place completely empty but eventually a few people in accommodation arrived later. It was their last operation weekend and they will be closed for the rest of the season. They always close after the 2nd of March year on year, no matter to the conditions.

We then got back for the last stretch, beginning down the #23 which was beated but not too bad and the conditions improved significantly after passing the junction in St-Damien. It is because that #63 trail is blocked south of Ste-Émilie and all traffic is diverted up north on #23 which obviously wear it faster. We then took the #63, pass St-Gabriel and catch the #3 to return by Berthierville. The #3 which is souther had melted too much and there was plenty of water. If I put end to end all the water holes I've been through I must have done an half mile of water skipping! Towards the end of the route near home Berthierville the club had already removed the signs, so it is completely finished at home. We arrived at 22:00 with 352miles on the dreammeter.

DSC09604_zpsbypfrjmj.jpg

A beautiful big ride for us but we realize that the season is already well advanced. This was definitely our last one leaving from home because of Joliette and Berthierville clubs are closing down. There’s still a lot snow and the melt is really less on the north side but temperatures announced for the next days are still mild with some precipitation are on the forecast . Hoping that precipitation in the north will be in snow and with some freezing at night the clubs would be able to continue grooming.

here the condition web site lonk for more info on the trails: http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

Alain

Fantastic pictoral reporting on your rides. I love Real Masse restaurant food and it is a true sign season is almost over with this popular stop off point closing for the season. Thanks again for all the great pictures and reporting! :hi:

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

Nice run you two. Excellent report as always. I did a ride from my home saturday too and sadly think it will be the last from here as well.

Thanks Iceman! hoping the forecast is right for temps, the next 14 days forecast looks good, just tomorrow way too warm.

Beautiful pictures and what a big mile day on a two up sled.

The rivers look like they are capturing the melting snow.

Thank you for posting your trip.

mike

In fact, it's the Mattawin river and most of the water is from the reservoir taureau. They are late this year to empty it, usually it is already empty at this time and now it have still a 10-15' to drop down, alot of water all thrown in the mattawin river and with the late February snowfall there, it must be really empty because when the real melting begin they will fill it quickly.

What a big beautiful ride Alain & KriKri! And a beautiful day to do it as well. Take advantage while good conditions exist in certain areas. Enjoy your off season!

Tom

Thanks Florida Snowman! you inspire us with those big miles day you did on your last run. We had not get as much but if i cheat and add Krikri's mileage and mine it begin to be competitive!

Fantastic pictoral reporting on your rides. I love Real Masse restaurant food and it is a true sign season is almost over with this popular stop off point closing for the season. Thanks again for all the great pictures and reporting! :hi:

thanks MXZ700RIDER! Not really for Real Massé because they always close at the same date, no matter the conditions. I remember in 2008 i did my last one the 19 april in this area and they were closed since 5 weeks!!! It is the way they do for years and it is why it was desert because alot people were thinking they were already closed. It's a good thing that few places close like that, it have less business to do and left it to those that keep going longer.

Thanks Alain for the report, rode 4 days west last week, March is the best month to ride!

Yes it is, always the best one at the end of the season

Super reporting, as always, Alain. Will look forward to you posts, again, in December..

Thanks timbo, but the trailer is ready and i really hope to have some more miles ahead before hanging up

Another great report Alain & Krikri! We took pics from many of the same spots this past week. Thanks again!

Thanks neksledr! hoping you had enjoyed your ride there as much as us!

Edited by towing