Ride to Chibougamau?

doobraap

We are heading up to the Valin area in a few weeks and I was wondering if we should take 2 days and ride to Chibougamau and back? Is it worth the haul? What is TQ93 like once it gets past the top of Lac St Jean? Would our time be better spent just exploring more areas around Valin?? We will be in the area for 6 days.

Been several times. IMO It is a trip is not for the weak of spirit or experience . A long way for sure, not much in between . Weather prudence is strongly advised as visability and marking can be limited. Not particularly picturesqe. Must leave La Dore with full tank and get gas at the Saw mill and again at Relais Barrier du Nord before arriving in Chibougamau. A pretty big town with several hotels, if it is a hockey tournament weekend or you better have a reserve.

We are heading up to the Valin area in a few weeks and I was wondering if we should take 2 days and ride to Chibougamau and back? Is it worth the haul? What is TQ93 like once it gets past the top of Lac St Jean? Would our time be better spent just exploring more areas around Valin?? We will be in the area for 6 days.

Ive done the tq93 from alma to there twice...and the other side of 93 up there once.... alot of snow around la dore in the park, trail flattens out up to the sawmill 1/2 way. (recommended to carry extra gas if you have to break the trail), where they sell gas (you call on the phone they come out)... powerline and in the woods to chibougamau. I tryed to ride above to cree village on mitissini ( no boze allowed), but the trail was not maintained for 70km , kinda bush-wak your way up there, made it half way couldnt make it with a short track (beau coup neige ) ,but they have supposed to have improve the trail for a real machine to groom last year. Its a day up and back from top of lac st jean... remote and can be cold. If you go... theres a native administration building over by the school (north) side of main street, where the cree indians sell there crafts , that I love , if you make it. In (my opinion)... better to continue to sennetre on 93 and head to clova on 83 back to the l.s.j. area.... than back track the same trail 93 s... but will take more time... but well worth it, but remote... Ive been riding val-dore - matagami..... towns on the ontario border. 63-83-93 super highways up + over there. Go for it if its not really cold.

I've done the Chibougamous - Seneterre - Lac Faillon - Clova - Relay 22 (93 to 83) loop twice in the last two years.

Both times have been some of the best sledding I have ever done. I would not do it with less than 3 or 4 people.

Lebel-Sur-Quevillon to Chibougamou is a very long and straight piece of trail. It's an abandoned railroad bed, straight as an arrow, called "Piston Alley." You guess why. If you are heavy in the thumb, you will run out of gas (like I did one time).

I thought it was a great trip, and plan on doing it again in the next couple weeks.

I agree fully with arubenstein, make the loop around. I did it last year, trail were excellent and well groomed. Yes it is remote, but that also means less traffic, we had no gas issues at all. Making the loop is worth the extra couple days. I took lots of pics on my trip, I guess it is what you consider pictures worthy.

Well we are not newbies to touring so I am not concerned with the remoteness. Our group gets no less than 14MPG and carry gas too so fuel should not be a problem either....

What kind of mileage is it to do a loop around back to Roberval?

Roberval to Chibougamau 250 miles???

Chibougamau to Sennetere ????

Sennetere to Relais22??

We need to end up back in Shawinigan so we can either do this at the beginning of the week or the end.....

Thanks

Well we are not newbies to touring so I am not concerned with the remoteness. Our group gets no less than 14MPG and carry gas too so fuel should not be a problem either....

What kind of mileage is it to do a loop around back to Roberval?

Roberval to Chibougamau 250 miles???

Chibougamau to Sennetere ????

Sennetere to Relais22??

We need to end up back in Shawinigan so we can either do this at the beginning of the week or the end.....

Thanks

When I get home, I will plot a course for you and let you know.

Thanks, I do have the maps at home too so don't go out of your way.

For some reason I have this desire to go to Chibougamau in hopes to see the northern lights......

Chris

We did that loop last year leaving from Auberge Mekinack on the river, took 360 to 345 stayed at repos, took local trail North through Casey to tq83 towards Sennettere, stayed at lac fallon, rode from there to Chibougamu, rode 93 to st Felician, than back to Mekinack, I beleive it was about 1150 miles, the only place we felt uncomfortable was Chibougamu, the hotel we stayed at had a garage for the sleds, some strange guys hanging around the hotel bar asking for money and stuff, just didn't seem right! Other than that it's a great loop! The ballet was across the street from the hotel :drinks:

Last year we ran St-Felicien to Senneterre, a 400 mile straight shot, there by 6pm. It was very cold, -30c and we had no problems other than a belt. We were going to stay in Chapais, but we were there by 1pm. You can't plan on a 400 mile day, but you can take them when you can.

This weekend we will probably do a 4-day loop from the shawinigan area. Something like shawinigan to fer-a-cheval, then to quevillion, to st-felicien, back to shawinigan.

We just did St Michael De Saints to Clova to Chibougamu to Lac Edward, to back to St Michael. 1235 in 4 days. Clova to Chib in 12 hours 395 mile day. That being said from Cing to Lac St Jean is an easy ride but mostly on a power line crossing the highway a lot. Do the loop if you are going that far North the 93 S/W of Chib is worth the price af admission. There is gas but you need to ride to towns to get it. We made Chig all the way to town without a full up. Tour Buddies are the answer.

I would not take 2 days just to go to Chib...There is too much beautiful riding in The Valins to waste the 2 days.

I plotted a four day trip.

Day 1 - Roberval to Parent, 230 miles.

Day 2 - Parent to Lac Faillon, 164 miles.

Day 3 - Lac Faillon to Chibougamou, 263 miles.

Day 4 - Chibougamou to Roberval, 196 miles.

Day 1 - Nothing exciting.

Day 2 - Short day, which is good, as Lac Faillon is a wonderful place to stay.

Day 3 - 263 miles is nothing as this includes Piston Alley.

Day 4 - Nothing exciting, except for getting gas at the logging camp.

It's an awesome trip. I've done it twice, and both times I can count the number of sleds I passed on one hand.

I, like you, always wanted to go to Chiboug. Been a few times now. Love it. Made it in a day from Jonquiere. Have stayed on the outside of town at the motel district, and in town at the hotel in the middle of town, an old place that has been restored. We had the better time at the place downtown. Nice restaurant and bar. Get more flavor of the area when staying downtown. Never saw the northernlights up there. Too many strange characters hanging around the motel district.

Two of us riding on one trip and we both ran out of gas few miles from the mill after breaking 6 new and unexpected inches of snow.

The trip is an adventure! Be sure to stop at the relais south of Chiboug. Great guy runs it. Fed us caribou meat one night. Be careful, he does not always have gas. But the riding around the Saguenay area is the best I have ever found. So do both.

mike

I, like you, always wanted to go to Chiboug. Been a few times now. Love it. Made it in a day from Jonquiere. Have stayed on the outside of town at the motel district, and in town at the hotel in the middle of town, an old place that has been restored. We had the better time at the place downtown. Nice restaurant and bar. Get more flavor of the area when staying downtown. Never saw the northernlights up there. Too many strange characters hanging around the motel district.

Two of us riding on one trip and we both ran out of gas few miles from the mill after breaking 6 new and unexpected inches of snow.

The trip is an adventure! Be sure to stop at the relais south of Chiboug. Great guy runs it. Fed us caribou meat one night. Be careful, he does not always have gas. But the riding around the Saguenay area is the best I have ever found. So do both.

mike

nothern lights... I have never seen them there either, is usually overcast which is ok .... because if its crystal clear to se then ....it can be really ccccccold. The difference way up north, it can be -35 or 40 and it will only warm up ten degrees to - 25. Down south it will be -30 but warm up to -10 to zero. I have aways dryed to head up when the jet stream goes way up like now. not trying to scare anyone away.... but it one of the more remote rides and not much help, expect the highway you can walk out too. the first time I went... a guy from the states crashed (compound fracture) they had to wait 4 hrs for help -25f below and they put him in a coffin on skis and towed him out of the woods... 2 months in the hospital, didnt walk till june.. but he was back up there the next winter with the same group, true storie..... the stange characters ...well, I think WE are the strange characters... if ya think about it

Personally I think 83 going W was more desolate than 93 from Chig to LSJ...93 before Chib has some lonely stretches also... The highway that is ALWAYS there adds some comfort...

Personally I think 83 going W was more desolate than 93 from Chig to LSJ...93 before Chib has some lonely stretches also... The highway that is ALWAYS there adds some comfort...

There was a highway along there? When we rode that stretch it was snowing hard the whole way still managed to not drop below 70, it's weird, the snowflakes start playing tricks on you after about an hour at that speed and limited visability and not turning the handlebars for an hour. We didn't pass an oncoming sled from Parent to Chibougamu and about haly way to St Felician almost 500 miles! :drinks:

yep, I totally agree... thats why I said one of the MORE remote trails... 83 is the MOST remote under the gouin reservoir. First time i did the 83, we was lost in the dark around 8pm, snowing like hell, headed to clova. lucky it wasent cold. you jump on alogging road in the middle of the 83 for about 50 yrds and jump back on,,,,,, but the loggers had just plowed the road and the banks were 7 ' high we where the first sleds through.... couldnt find the trail. sometimes you ride the roads for miles in qc.... rode around looking for it and couldnt find it .. low on gas not enought to get back to parent... finally after a little dispare. we went back to where we jumped on the road ... and walked on top of both sides plowed banks until we found it..... got to the tamarack at 11pm... I have the (2) double whiskey..... the tamarack... now that place is a hoot.. especially on fri nite.... following year went through in the day time.. couldnt belive what a simple little situation it really was.... you just never know what can happen, any where at any time any place.

Thanks for all the help guys. I might save this trip for next year since I really want to spend some time in the Valin area this year and I don't want to just jam in the ride to Chib. Sounds like it should be a trip on it's own....

We only have spent 3 days each year in Valin and never get to see the all the things we want anyway.

Chris

Thanks for all the help guys. I might save this trip for next year since I really want to spend some time in the Valin area this year and I don't want to just jam in the ride to Chib. Sounds like it should be a trip on it's own....

We only have spent 3 days each year in Valin and never get to see the all the things we want anyway.

Chris

Just another thought for when you guy do the run. Gas and food can be tough on a Sunday at the Sawmill between La Dore and Chibougamau. Any other day seems no problem. All in all an awsome run on the loops mentioned. Once you do it, you will be back.

Just another thought for when you guy do the run. Gas and food can be tough on a Sunday at the Sawmill between La Dore and Chibougamau. Any other day seems no problem. All in all an awsome run on the loops mentioned. Once you do it, you will be back.

I am sure we will. I will work it in to a 5 day trip for next season. Time and money is running out on this year already!!!!

10-4 momo...sometimes a very little error can make a very bui difference. S of Gouin is really a place U don't want a problem...

We traveled with GPS for the first time, in a situation as you described above it can be a lifesaver. Steve had one I ordered one when we got home. Still learning it but looking forward to using it. Garmin Zumo 550...

Last year we ran St-Felicien to Senneterre, a 400 mile straight shot, there by 6pm. It was very cold, -30c and we had no problems other than a belt. We were going to stay in Chapais, but we were there by 1pm. You can't plan on a 400 mile day, but you can take them when you can.

This weekend we will probably do a 4-day loop from the shawinigan area. Something like shawinigan to fer-a-cheval, then to quevillion, to st-felicien, back to shawinigan.

WOW you diehard man...I no ride with you!!!!!! :wacko: