FORMAT FOR PRINTING

Sponsored by Related Articles:

Previous Page

Comment on this Article

Email this Article to a Friend

St. Agatha snowmobiler robbed after races

By Beurmond Banville

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - Bangor Daily News

ST. AGATHA - Saturday was a good day for St. Agatha snowmobile racer Scott Gagnon who won two races and placed third in three others at the Canadian-U.S. World Series Championships in St. Joseph de Beauce, Quebec.

But Sunday morning was a nightmare.

Coming out of his motel with his luggage that morning, he realized that his truck, trailer and three racing sleds were gone.

Gagnon said the loss amounted to more than $100,000. He won $500 racing on Saturday.

Along with his 2003 three-quarter ton, bright red GMC Duramax diesel, Gagnon lost a 2002 Interstate four-sled trailer, three custom-built racing snowmobiles — one of which was valued at more than $30,000 — tools, his cache of spare snowmobile parts, his wallet with cash and his passport, which were all in the glove compartment.

None of his property has been recovered by Quebec police.

"It was a good start of the weekend, winning races on Saturday and all," Gagnon, 35, said Monday. "It was a really bad day on Sunday.

"Everything was locked up," he said. "They [the thieves] were very good at what they do."

He still had the keys to his pickup truck and to the lock on the snowmobile trailer on Monday.

It was Gagnon’s first time to that area of Quebec. St. Joseph de Beauce is located on Route 73 about halfway between the Maine border at Jackman and Quebec City.

Gagnon has raced snowmobiles since he was a boy, and has often raced in Riviere du Loup, Quebec, and Bathurst, New Brunswick.

Gagnon and two friends arrived at the race venue on Friday and did some snowmobile runs, fine tuning the racing machines. They left the trailer and snowmobiles at the track, where there was security on Friday night, but took everything with them to the motel on Saturday night, looking for an early start home on Sunday.

The trio arrived at the motel around 9 p.m. Saturday, had dinner there, and all was well when they went into their rooms for the night.

They discovered the theft at about 8 a.m. Sunday.

Gagnon said police told him these kinds of thefts are an ongoing problem in that snowmobile racing area. Police can’t get a lock on things, he said.

Gagnon said police told him Sunday that his truck was "probably already in a container on a ship bound for Europe" and the sleds were likely in a warehouse somewhere in Quebec being dismantled.

Police told Gagnon the people involved in the operations had probably been staking him out since Friday, shortly after he arrived. They told him that the thieves use handheld computers that override the truck’s computer, unlocking the doors and allowing entry. The handheld computer also overrides the pickup ignition system and starts the vehicle, allowing it to be driven away.

"It’s amazing what they can do," Gagnon said.

Police told him the thieves are part of organized crime in the province.

While his truck was insured, Gagnon was still not sure Monday whether the tools, snowmobile parts, computers, trailer and cash were covered by insurance.

He said he could not insure the snowmobiles because they were racing sleds.

I agree. I have heard of no thefts this year, it is better than in previous years by far. This may be due to: motel having better security, better survellance by the athorities and/or snowmobilers using better security devices. It was nice to hear of no negitive issues this year.

Anyone know how US citizen club membership numbers are doing this year? I wonder if there are less US folks traveling to QC because there is so much snow in the northeast? My buddy's business is down at his northern Maine B&B because there is good snow south and people aren't traveling up to his area.

I still find it very hard to believe that the police can't stash a GPS tracking device in a new rig and set it up as bait to infiltrate the operation. Seems to me a 2007 Duramax with a brand spanking new 4 place (with some bright finish) and some fancy stickers would attract some attention for sure.

I agree with smclelan and rob,I have not heard of any problems this year.Although this is the third forum in which I have read about the same theft. As for the 2007 Duramax -4 place trailer with (bright finish and fancy stickers) it will definetly attract some attention...........................

New York has been the hot bed of theft this year...

It is a shame that all this equipment was lost. I think most of us know better than leaving all this stuff in a position to be so easily stolen. I mean come on your wallet money & passport in the vehicle...

Hope it is recovered...

ALOT less this year. Cover your Vin # on your dash (Make it look like you purposely covered it) - Pull the fuel relays and Wala - Non-issue - I've driven a few people home to the States because their rigs were stolen.

It appears thefts are down this year as stated above. None of which is from better Police action. Its from the Hotel owners and better awareness from snowmobilers. My hats off to those who are helping. BTW< I have never heard of unlocking and starting a vehicle from a laptop. Is this really possible?

It appears thefts are down this year as stated above. None of which is from better Police action. Its from the Hotel owners and better awareness from snowmobilers. My hats off to those who are helping. BTW< I have never heard of unlocking and starting a vehicle from a laptop. Is this really possible?

Oh, forgot about Onstar. Those probably could be done with a laptop.