scierie 54

Mid Range

.....Hi everybody, happy cold weather. DID anybody go to mitissini from chib last winter? They where suppose to improve that trail and groom it with big machine last winter. last time I tried it 2 winters ago, it was a single sled trail... starting out behind the hospital in chib. Why is 54 oob, they use the pump for there own equipment. or is it just no gas for sleds??? or is the whole plant shut down.

A buddy and I did Mistissini out of Chibig. one morning last season. Scary trip to say the least. After the tight wooded crap part out of Chibig. it opened up to a nice wide logging road. After that it just spilled into this giant "tundra" area with huge piles of wood/brush piled up in these gigantic mounds. We were following two sled tracks the entire way and with the open area and wind....they just disappeared !!! If it was not for our GPS units I question if we would have made it. As it was I had to take the unit off my mount and walk up a knoll and scout the horizon to really figure out where we were and how far it was.

We made it o.k. and I'm glad we went. Dont know if I would do it again though. We also hit Wasswanipi on the way back down. That was pretty interesting place to say the least. Kind of reminded me of Manawan.

Anyone have a copy of the KML they can share since it's not on the FCMQ anymore?

The link is now working on the new web site.

http://www.fcmq.qc.ca/Pratiquerlamotoneige...CA/Default.aspx

Click on this line Téléchargez le réseau des sentiers de motoneige du Québec 3D 2007-2008

A buddy and I did Mistissini out of Chibig. one morning last season. Scary trip to say the least. After the tight wooded crap part out of Chibig. it opened up to a nice wide logging road. After that it just spilled into this giant "tundra" area with huge piles of wood/brush piled up in these gigantic mounds. We were following two sled tracks the entire way and with the open area and wind....they just disappeared !!! If it was not for our GPS units I question if we would have made it. As it was I had to take the unit off my mount and walk up a knoll and scout the horizon to really figure out where we were and how far it was.

We made it o.k. and I'm glad we went. Dont know if I would do it again though. We also hit Wasswanipi on the way back down. That was pretty interesting place to say the least. Kind of reminded me of Manawan.

......... hey thanks... I tried with a friend 2 yrs ago and bailed after 20 miles following some tracks that got driffed too, probably from locals. I was told by a cree from the nation, they were gonna widen and groom it because of the lodge up there..... some day Ill make it. the folks at the skidoo shop said I wont make it with my short track... and they where right....

Sent an e-mail almost one week ago to chibougamau snowmobile club...still waiting for a reply.

Saw a post on the Québec board this morning (Nov/25) and it says scierie 54 is completely closed

....... hey thanks, keep us posted. any word about andre opening the tamarac in clova this winter, i miss that place...

this could be good news for you .on the french forum a guy from chibougamau posted that gas might or should be available at scierie 54 .

the way he posted it ,he talked with a wowan (owner i guess ) and she said to take info for service hrs .nobody replied to that yet for confirmation.

and he said club moved to km 176 on road 167 (barriere nord ) .restaurant and gas station.

groomer !!!

this could be good news for you .on the french forum a guy from chibougamau posted that gas might or should be available at scierie 54 .

the way he posted it ,he talked with a wowan (owner i guess ) and she said to take info for service hrs .nobody replied to that yet for confirmation.

and he said club moved to km 176 on road 167 (barriere nord ) .restaurant and gas station.

groomer !!!..... Hey thanks...good news, Ive been up and down that trail 3-4 times, I know you cross the road (167) a few times and ride the power lines a-bit. Ive never seen a side trail to a restaurant or a place to stop (feeder trail) for a coffee, except the saw mill and relais du nord. But 93N gets away from the road, in the woods in places too. Not sure the km # 176 is in relation to the sawmill. Maybe somebody can map it ?? First time I did it was on an 2002 mxzx 440 race sled, with 2-2 gal gas cans strapped on, needed both of em!!! Made it to the cabera', :rofl: , I mean the nordic........now I hope the the north shore (3) gets patched up... Got to go see the bridge :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got information back on the status of Scierie 54 this upcoming winter:

Fuel will be available at the sawmill.

For the restauration service it will be on the week day only for the moment but the club negacaite to have it in the week-end to.

This is great news!! This will ensure that the trail stays open for this winter at least. :yahoo:

I just got information back on the status of Scierie 54 this upcoming winter:

Fuel will be available at the sawmill.

For the restauration service it will be on the week day only for the moment but the club negacaite to have it in the week-end to.

This is great news!! This will ensure that the trail stays open for this winter at least. :yahoo:

Thanks for for the update smclelan,now we have to get up there and ride in and buy some gas so they know they made the right decision to keep open. It would be a big loss if they would close. :clapping: