Sign in to follow this  
Blueblood

mainr riding

Recommended Posts

I can't get to quebec this year so off to maine Sunday.  no return date as of yet plenty of time off to enjoy the trails.  hope there at least close to quebec quality?  riding out of Millinocket with the new snow should be good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll be with a group of guys riding out of Oxbow,north and then back. Heading up Sunday  and riding Monday through Friday heading home on Saturday. It’s supposed to get cold so that should help things I hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blueblood said:

I can't get to quebec this year so off to maine Sunday.  no return date as of yet plenty of time off to enjoy the trails.  hope there at least close to quebec quality?  riding out of Millinocket with the new snow should be good to go.

Blueblood other than the week in February that we go to Quebec I ride out of the Millinocket area every weekend the trails in that area are mostly on roads it’s a very nice area to ride several different loop options you can do. The 5 years that we’ve been going to Quebec we’ve stayed either at the Delta or the universal and rode those areas are the trails in the Millinocket area compatible to those I will say some are very close. All the clubs in that area do a great job with the trails but I can almost guarantee you by the end of the day you’re going to encounter some beat up trails and your going to see a lot more sled traffic than you would during the day in Quebec especially on the weekend. Plus it’s a little more busier in that area because of the Canadian border situation. The snow situation in the area is pretty good and getting better each day with a few chances of storms in the next week. It’s pretty hard to compete with the Quebec trail system but I can’t see any reason why you won’t enjoy riding this area enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, yorkxf9000 said:

Blueblood other than the week in February that we go to Quebec I ride out of the Millinocket area every weekend the trails in that area are mostly on roads it’s a very nice area to ride several different loop options you can do. The 5 years that we’ve been going to Quebec we’ve stayed either at the Delta or the universal and rode those areas are the trails in the Millinocket area compatible to those I will say some are very close. All the clubs in that area do a great job with the trails but I can almost guarantee you by the end of the day you’re going to encounter some beat up trails and your going to see a lot more sled traffic than you would during the day in Quebec especially on the weekend. Plus it’s a little more busier in that area because of the Canadian border situation. The snow situation in the area is pretty good and getting better each day with a few chances of storms in the next week. It’s pretty hard to compete with the Quebec trail system but I can’t see any reason why you won’t enjoy riding this area enjoy!

plan is to ride big loops Monday threw Friday.  with Saturday and Sunday run short local rips to recover lol.  Monday will probably be a late start with the game on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Add me to Millinocket, staying at the Baxter Inn. I have saddle bagged thru this area in the past decades ago. Been hearing good things in recent years about the trails here.  Snow here appears to be enough, but certainly not the usual.

mike

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did 260 miles yesterday left the Timber cruiser club house over through Jo- Mary’s trails down to KI. Over to 85-86 up to Kokadjo then across Moosehead to Birches up around Pittson farm and NE Cary and back through Jo Mary to the Timber Cruisers. Trails were fine the first 80 miles but after that it went down hill quickly! I’ve been riding that area every weekend for the last 10 years and I never recall the trails that bad, usually you’ll run into a few sections during your ride that are bad but never almost the whole day. I also can’t ever remember meeting so many large groups of sleds were talking groups of 8-10 sleds! I know the lack of snow and the type of snow that we have isn’t the ideal snow to make good trails that will last. I’m also not bashing any of the clubs in that area either because all the years I’ve ridden in that area they’ve always done a top notch job. With the Canadian border being closed I’m sure that’s creating the extra traffic. So let’s just say that 260 miles took all day and half night to do! I’m sure during the week it’ll be a little less busy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mikerider said:

Arrived about an hour ago.  Hotel owner says trails are good. Thinking this may be a good choice over Jackman, hopefully wider and less curvy trails.

We are down the road from you at Katadhin. Wish we were at Baxter too. We did 160 mile loop today went northwest then south to Wildwoods. Had 125 miles of 9-10 trails and 35 miles of crap. Crap was from NO grooming not lack of snow. We are doing another loop tomarrow going a little south east and then north east. Should be a little over 150 clicks. We are 5 and can swing by Baxter on way out if you want to join us. Like 8:30 ish. Track we took in Purple, went counterclockwise.

BA723AAF-6B7C-4F0F-9FAC-7331A12EA696.jpeg

DB62F1FC-B9F2-4664-B1C5-E5464BB67C3E.jpeg

806CD76E-B812-4B0F-A8F2-B7CE9E2D59B4.jpeg

E2CF6177-33AC-4888-A6A3-CB3E38CD6F2D.jpeg

721AD6F1-BD4A-49C1-872D-61D0CB3E8109.png

551249D1-62DC-4DC0-8A4E-F89C6C1CDBC1.png

Edited by Snobeeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

We are down the road from you at Katadhin. Wish we were at Baxter too. We did 160 mile loop today went northwest then south to Wildwoods. Had 125 miles of 9-10 trails and 35 miles of crap. Crap was from NO grooming not lack of snow. We are doing another loop tomarrow going a little south east and then north east. Should be a little over 150 clicks. We are 5 and can swing by Baxter on way out if you want to join us. Like 8:30 ish. 

BA723AAF-6B7C-4F0F-9FAC-7331A12EA696.jpeg

DB62F1FC-B9F2-4664-B1C5-E5464BB67C3E.jpeg

806CD76E-B812-4B0F-A8F2-B7CE9E2D59B4.jpeg

E2CF6177-33AC-4888-A6A3-CB3E38CD6F2D.jpeg

Make sure you head up to Mattagammon, shin pond up to Libby’s camps or Umcolcus camps and loop back around the trails are on mostly wood’s road it’s a nice 200 mile loop from Millinocket. All those places I mentioned are great places to eat with very nice people that run them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the invite,  but I'm going to just poke around the area today and explore. Should be plenty of snow dust.

Baxter Inn seems nice,  older place,  very clean and owner very nice.  I drove through both places and Baxter won based on the large parking lot and good snowbanks to unload the sled off the truck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rode Millinocket for about 2/3 of the day today. Looks like day two and no sign of groomers.  This area is very big wilderness on all sides of town. Trails are really nice as some big wide roads,  not too much tight twisty trails. Lots of beautiful lakes and rivers.

Maine big snow areas are so different. Rangeley is a resort area, Jackman a frontier town, and Millinocket a former big mill town.  Not sure the current situation, but Millinocket has been known for stupid low home prices, like $40,000 for a ranch. The area was devastated when the mill closed. The recent National Monument 'Katahdin Woods and Waters' has started to rejuvenate the area.

mike

 

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this