my trip report

Mid Range

Day 1-february 12- Maniwaki-Parent(13/63,13north) 208 miles

we left thursday feb 12 under rain with garbage bags upon us.We were supposed to leave at 8:30 a.m. but waited til noon.Trails were still holding on despite the mild weather.We were supposed to cross the baskatong reservoir but we noticed the lakes were way too slushy and decided to go via mt-laurier.Temperature changed in mt-laurier.Took 13 north to ste-anne du lac.Crossed lac des journalistes in Ferme-Neuve and Gravel lake south of Ste-Anne du lac.Both were quite slushy.Tapani Lake in Ste-Anne du lac was ok.

Trails were getting harder and harder on our way to Parent.Sleds were overheating but trails were top shape.Especially north of fer à cheval. We stayed at the central.Big quarts at the central. :drinks:

Day 2-february 13 Parent-Roberval(83 east) 240 miles

Friday we left Parent to Roberval.after a few miles,sleds were overheating again.Yes the 2 yamahas were overheating but not the Polaris.We fueled up in Weymontachie.What a fast trail between Weymon and relais 22. trails were in top shape between Parent and Relais 22.Samething between relais 22 til trench river.east of trench river til Roberval the 83 was not that good.

Day 3-february 16 Roberval-Chibougamau(regional 373-93 north) 214 miles

After a 2 day break and a party upon the lake at the “village sur glace” in Roberval on the Saturday night we were back on our sled Monday morning.Roberval-La Doré is pretty fast as the 373 runs in open fields for the most part ant trail was in good shape. Took the 93 north in La Doré.For the most part…93 between La Doré and scierie 54 is quite twisted and really not a fast trail.I would say conditions were 7/10.We fueled up in St-félicien and scierie 54.Scierie 54 to Chibougamau was in top shape and man what a fast trail.

Day 4-february 17 Chibougamau-Senneterre(93 west) 229 miles

We left Chibougamau it was minus 24 degrees,Chibougamau-Chapais was in top shape and a very fast trail.We fueled up in Chapais before heading for the long stretch that will lead us to Lebel-sur-Quévillon.We met a bunch of guys from Mont-tremblant,Québec which were stopped by the railroad bed.One guy blew a belt off his Yamaha vector.His belt chopped off his coolant hose and lost his prestone.He was 60 miles from Chapais.Anyways we kept going to LSQ and never saw a gas sign in Miquelon as indicated on the Abitibi map.We rode 134 miles without gas.Had a quick lunch in LSQ before heading south to Senneterre.

Day 5-february 18 Senneterre-Val d’Or via Amos-Ste-Dominique-Riviere-Héva-Malartic 191 miles

You gotta taste Abitibi trails once in a while.We left Senneterre to Amos via TQ 93.Went up to Ste-Dominique du Rosaire via regional 307,local trail to Berry and came back on TQ 93 west of Amos.Took regional 307 and cut across to Rivière-Héva on TQ 83.That portion of 307 was awesome and very fast.Typical Abitibi trails.Once we we were on TQ 83 we headed to Val d’Or via Malartic.We got to the forestel at 3:30 p.m.Malartic to Val d’Or was awesome again.Needless to say,when you ride Abitibi expect some fast trails and well maintained.

Day 6-february 19 Val d’Or-Clova via Lac matchi-manitou (regional 386-83 east) 224 miles

We woke up with about 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground.We did not want to go all the way up to Senneterre by the TQ 83 but instead we took regional 386 via lac matchi-manitou.Again we have never regretted our choice since 386 was in top shape and very fast as well.Once we got back on the 83 east of Senneterre things were about to change.It was going to turn out as our worst day of riding from our trip.Up to Lac Faillon the 83 was 7/10.Past Faillon to Balbuzard the 83 runs thru that huge forest fire from 2 years ago plus the logging companies picked up what was left good.It looks like you are in a desert.I wouldn’t like going thru the area into a snowstorm.Anyways,past Balbuzard Sauvage,things were getting even worst.Bumpy corners,plus the 83 has been rerouted thru Monet.What a shitty trail, very rough and narrow for maybe 10 miles.I’ve always said it,TQ 83 in that area is like a roll of dice,it can be very good as it can be very rough.I guess we weren’t lucky that day.We finally made it to Clova at 4:45 pm.It was very mild that day and sleds were hard to steer plus the 83 was in bad shape.

BTW we fueled up in Louvicourt then at Balbuzard Sauvage.I got to tell you,that French lady at Balbuzard is quite gorgous with a nice pair.

Day 7-february 20 Clova-Maniwaki(woodrunner trail-TQ63-322-TQ13/63) 180 miles.

We knew it would be an easy day for us since we would ride Clova road all the way down to TQ 63.We left Clova at 8:50 a.m.Groomer was broken upon the trail about 15 miles south of Clova.Past the groomer there was about 4 inches of powder on the trail.We fueled up at Relais l’antre II which is about 50 miles south of Clova.94 miles south of Clova is where the trail to Rabaska located.Past that trail on Clova road,snow was getting deeper until Lépine bridge.From there,another 6-7 miles til you get to TQ 63.We took that trail to Restaurant Classic in Lytton.Clova-Lytton is 135 miles.Then we took regional 322 then 13/63 down to Maniwaki.Again trails were in good shape around Maniwaki.Just to give you and idea how fast Clova road is.We got to Maniwaki at 1:40 p.m.

Total mileage:1486 in 6.5 days.

As for lodging we stayed at

Parent:Hotel Central

Roberval:we stayed at relatives since I have family in Roberval.

Chibougamau:Hotel-Motel Nordic

Senneterre:Motel Senabi

Val d’Or:Forestel

Clova:Auberge Clova

I will try to post some pics late around.

Day 1-february 12- Maniwaki-Parent(13/63,13north) 208 miles

we left thursday feb 12 under rain with garbage bags upon us.We were supposed to leave at 8:30 a.m. but waited til noon.Trails were still holding on despite the mild weather.We were supposed to cross the baskatong reservoir but we noticed the lakes were way too slushy and decided to go via mt-laurier.Temperature changed in mt-laurier.Took 13 north to ste-anne du lac.Crossed lac des journalistes in Ferme-Neuve and Gravel lake south of Ste-Anne du lac.Both were quite slushy.Tapani Lake in Ste-Anne du lac was ok.

Trails were getting harder and harder on our way to Parent.Sleds were overheating but trails were top shape.Especially north of fer à cheval. We stayed at the central.Big quarts at the central. :drinks:

Day 2-february 13 Parent-Roberval(83 east) 240 miles

Friday we left Parent to Roberval.after a few miles,sleds were overheating again.Yes the 2 yamahas were overheating but not the Polaris.We fueled up in Weymontachie.What a fast trail between Weymon and relais 22. trails were in top shape between Parent and Relais 22.Samething between relais 22 til trench river.east of trench river til Roberval the 83 was not that good.

Day 3-february 16 Roberval-Chibougamau(regional 373-93 north) 214 miles

After a 2 day break and a party upon the lake at the “village sur glace” in Roberval on the Saturday night we were back on our sled Monday morning.Roberval-La Doré is pretty fast as the 373 runs in open fields for the most part ant trail was in good shape. Took the 93 north in La Doré.For the most part…93 between La Doré and scierie 54 is quite twisted and really not a fast trail.I would say conditions were 7/10.We fueled up in St-félicien and scierie 54.Scierie 54 to Chibougamau was in top shape and man what a fast trail.

Day 4-february 17 Chibougamau-Senneterre(93 west) 229 miles

We left Chibougamau it was minus 24 degrees,Chibougamau-Chapais was in top shape and a very fast trail.We fueled up in Chapais before heading for the long stretch that will lead us to Lebel-sur-Quévillon.We met a bunch of guys from Mont-tremblant,Québec which were stopped by the railroad bed.One guy blew a belt off his Yamaha vector.His belt chopped off his coolant hose and lost his prestone.He was 60 miles from Chapais.Anyways we kept going to LSQ and never saw a gas sign in Miquelon as indicated on the Abitibi map.We rode 134 miles without gas.Had a quick lunch in LSQ before heading south to Senneterre.

Day 5-february 18 Senneterre-Val d’Or via Amos-Ste-Dominique-Riviere-Héva-Malartic 191 miles

You gotta taste Abitibi trails once in a while.We left Senneterre to Amos via TQ 93.Went up to Ste-Dominique du Rosaire via regional 307,local trail to Berry and came back on TQ 93 west of Amos.Took regional 307 and cut across to Rivière-Héva on TQ 83.That portion of 307 was awesome and very fast.Typical Abitibi trails.Once we we were on TQ 83 we headed to Val d’Or via Malartic.We got to the forestel at 3:30 p.m.Malartic to Val d’Or was awesome again.Needless to say,when you ride Abitibi expect some fast trails and well maintained.

Day 6-february 19 Val d’Or-Clova via Lac matchi-manitou (regional 386-83 east) 224 miles

We woke up with about 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground.We did not want to go all the way up to Senneterre by the TQ 83 but instead we took regional 386 via lac matchi-manitou.Again we have never regretted our choice since 386 was in top shape and very fast as well.Once we got back on the 83 east of Senneterre things were about to change.It was going to turn out as our worst day of riding from our trip.Up to Lac Faillon the 83 was 7/10.Past Faillon to Balbuzard the 83 runs thru that huge forest fire from 2 years ago plus the logging companies picked up what was left good.It looks like you are in a desert.I wouldn’t like going thru the area into a snowstorm.Anyways,past Balbuzard Sauvage,things were getting even worst.Bumpy corners,plus the 83 has been rerouted thru Monet.What a shitty trail, very rough and narrow for maybe 10 miles.I’ve always said it,TQ 83 in that area is like a roll of dice,it can be very good as it can be very rough.I guess we weren’t lucky that day.We finally made it to Clova at 4:45 pm.It was very mild that day and sleds were hard to steer plus the 83 was in bad shape.

BTW we fueled up in Louvicourt then at Balbuzard Sauvage.I got to tell you,that French lady at Balbuzard is quite gorgous with a nice pair.

Day 7-february 20 Clova-Maniwaki(woodrunner trail-TQ63-322-TQ13/63) 180 miles.

We knew it would be an easy day for us since we would ride Clova road all the way down to TQ 63.We left Clova at 8:50 a.m.Groomer was broken upon the trail about 15 miles south of Clova.Past the groomer there was about 4 inches of powder on the trail.We fueled up at Relais l’antre II which is about 50 miles south of Clova.94 miles south of Clova is where the trail to Rabaska located.Past that trail on Clova road,snow was getting deeper until Lépine bridge.From there,another 6-7 miles til you get to TQ 63.We took that trail to Restaurant Classic in Lytton.Clova-Lytton is 135 miles.Then we took regional 322 then 13/63 down to Maniwaki.Again trails were in good shape around Maniwaki.Just to give you and idea how fast Clova road is.We got to Maniwaki at 1:40 p.m.

Total mileage:1486 in 6.5 days.

Great report Midrange. Thanks for the heads up on the 83.

Andy

Nice report. What is Auberge Clova like compared to Central in Parent? Was at Central about 6 years ago. Kinda run down then.

Never stayed at Central, compared to Clova, Parent is ALL run down. Stayed at Auberge Clova, it is brand new, last year and this. Clova is a beautiful little town with a great restaurant. Parent is a scary place... :vava: The 70ish miles from Parent to Clova is a cool trail. We have only run it East to West...FWIW

Thanks Mid-Range great report. :)

Nice report. What is Auberge Clova like compared to Central in Parent? Was at Central about 6 years ago. Kinda run down then.

I would say Auberge Clova is much better than Central in Parent.Central is pretty basic and quite cheap.I think we paid 22 bucks each for our room and since it was not busy,we asked the lady if we could get each our room and she said yes with no additional cost.BTW at the Central you can easily hear the guy snoring like hell next to your room.The owner paid us a beer that night :drinks:

Auberge Clova is much better with a livingroom downstairs,big screen and a woodstove.Upstairs you have your own bathroom in your room and a common one downstairs.For 86 bucks in Clova..That's a good package and you eat very well.

I would say Auberge Clova is much better than Central in Parent.Central is pretty basic and quite cheap.I think we paid 22 bucks each for our room and since it was not busy,we asked the lady if we could get each our room and she said yes with no additional cost.BTW at the Central you can easily hear the guy snoring like hell next to your room.The owner paid us a beer that night :drinks:

Auberge Clova is much better with a livingroom downstairs,big screen and a woodstove.Upstairs you have your own bathroom in your room and a common one downstairs.For 86 bucks in Clova..That's a good package and you eat very well.

Thanks, does anybody have a waypoint for Auberge Clova?

ok here's a few pics

No rest for the wicked.Mont-Laurier Yamaha dealer.Right springlike conditions to say the least

P1050475.jpg

Waiting for the train to pass up in Parent.Sorry for the quality.We waited for 20 minutes

P1050479.jpg

Scierie 54 between LaDoré and Chibougamau on TQ93

P1050483.jpg

Scierie 54

P1050484.jpg

Scierie 54

P1050485.jpg

Lac caché near Chibougamau

P1050486.jpg

Chibougamau

P1050489.jpg

Oujé-Bougoumou near Chapais

P1050491.jpg

Groomers in Chapais

P1050493.jpg

Railroad bed between Chapais and Lebel-sur-Quévillon

P1050496.jpg

Somebody correct me if I am wrong here. In Clova (Dominic the owner??) used to work for whomever owned the place years before. I remember a LONG time ago there was a gas tank nowhere near the size of the current one and the only place in town to stay was the Tamarac Hotel and the "bunkhouse" down at the end of town.

I stayed at the new "school house" auberge about 3-4 yrs ago and I think Dominic purchased the school house from the government/town and converted it. I think I remember him telling me the population was once 3-4 hundred (maybe more) and that now (awhile ago) it was down to 38 or some ridiculously low number. Anyways, I couldnt help but think of class "going on" while I was lying in my bunk bed and what it must have been like for the kids of the 70's-80's in Clova, Quebec .

In any event....it is certainly an "out of the way" spot for your average snowmobiler and I feel lucky to have traveled there often over the years. When I meet fellow 'bilers who travel (or live in) Quebec, the first words that usually come out of our mouths are Clova, Chibagamau, Perce, Godbout, Matagami, St Pamphile , etc.....LOL........

If I lived another hundred years (and never rode again) I will always cherish the memories I have had in some of these remote places with the utmost fondness as they were the most ABSOLUTE BLAST just getting there and the people and their stories (and mine) were the most compelling and real.

Happy trails,

Chris

And "Midrange"....I forgot to add my congrats on another successful "trip" !!! It appears you had a great overall journey!!! Conditions sounded about like my Gaspe trip of recent. You take take the "good with the bad" in my book. After living in Upstate NY all my life.....there is nothing the Quebec trail system can throw me that would be any worse........LOL........

Somebody correct me if I am wrong here. In Clova (Dominic the owner??) used to work for whomever owned the place years before. I remember a LONG time ago there was a gas tank nowhere near the size of the current one and the only place in town to stay was the Tamarac Hotel and the "bunkhouse" down at the end of town.

I stayed at the new "school house" auberge about 3-4 yrs ago and I think Dominic purchased the school house from the government/town and converted it. I think I remember him telling me the population was once 3-4 hundred (maybe more) and that now (awhile ago) it was down to 38 or some ridiculously low number. Anyways, I couldnt help but think of class "going on" while I was lying in my bunk bed and what it must have been like for the kids of the 70's-80's in Clova, Quebec .

In any event....it is certainly an "out of the way" spot for your average snowmobiler and I feel lucky to have traveled there often over the years. When I meet fellow 'bilers who travel (or live in) Quebec, the first words that usually come out of our mouths are Clova, Chibagamau, Perce, Godbout, Matagami, St Pamphile , etc.....LOL........

If I lived another hundred years (and never rode again) I will always cherish the memories I have had in some of these remote places with the utmost fondness as they were the most ABSOLUTE BLAST just getting there and the people and their stories (and mine) were the most compelling and real.

Happy trails,

Chris

.........Agreed, My favorite spot. The first time i went to clova, 4 yrs ago ...about 30 miles out of town on the 83 the trail jumps on the road for about 20-30 yrds on the Parent side. Well the road was just plowed and we couldnt find the trail because the snow banks where so high. After riding around for a hour around 10pm, we finally found the trail. Made it to the tamarac on fumes and had a few whiskeys with the(local) crew at the bar. What crew to say the least. I Miss the tamarac, it really made clova a special hidden spot. But the school house is nice and the food included with the bunk is really outstanding when i stopped in last year. Rode thru the forest fire the next day. Really something to see. Last year while riding down the 35 monk rail bed, I bumped into a fellow from Mt tremblent area riding alone who might have need a little gas from my gas can. We all made to the gas station down the 35. But 5 weeks later on another trip, while pulling up to the gas station in clova in the afternoon, the same guy was at the pump. Small world. Edited by momojohnny