GPS Help to get started

JimP

I've got my trak maps via down load & used map source to to load it on the GPS

Nuvi 550 excellent choice!

Is there any advantage to getting it that way other than being in a hurry for it? I was thinking of going with the SD card.

Probably not

I bought a SD card & tried to load maps on it but the GPS didn't recognize the card so I went the down load method.

It could have been my lack of knowledge that prevented it from working.

I could never see the value in having a GPS on the sled but in the 2 years using it it has come in very handy

purchased the trakmap sd card, have not used it yet, but it has much grreater quebec detail than sled gps sd card for the ne/quebec. going up thurs to ride mt valin area, will have more experience then. easy to use sd cards in nuvi, pop out battery plug in sd card, go into tools menu then check data base. nuvi 550 works well on sled and in the cold, ram mount and hard wired.

In theory the SD card should be able to be loaded independent of the PC.Just plug it in the GPS. The benefit of having the info on the PC is the use of a better more powerful interface for trip and route planning and distance calculating. Assuming you have MapSource or some other comparable software such as RoadMap which I use on my Macs.

purchased the trakmap sd card, have not used it yet, but it has much grreater quebec detail than sled gps sd card for the ne/quebec. going up thurs to ride mt valin area, will have more experience then. easy to use sd cards in nuvi, pop out battery plug in sd card, go into tools menu then check data base. nuvi 550 works well on sled and in the cold, ram mount and hard wired.

Thanks for the help, which RAM mount do you have? I went on their website but there seemed to be so many. Are there any made for sleds or just bikes? I realize there probably wouldn't be much difference but I never really looked at one mounted on a sled. I have an 09 Apex.

In theory the SD card should be able to be loaded independent of the PC.Just plug it in the GPS. The benefit of having the info on the PC is the use of a better more powerful interface for trip and route planning and distance calculating. Assuming you have MapSource or some other comparable software such as RoadMap which I use on my Macs.

Thanks Jack, I did shoot an e-mail to TrakMaps to find out if I go with the SD card would I still get the reduced price to upgrade say in a year or 2. Price really is not what I am trying to weigh here it seems either way is the same and I am not in a hurry as I won't be heading up till the end of the month I just want to get something going.

ram handlebar mount fits mc and sled. use on my harley in the summer, use the street data base for that!! amazon or ebay around 25 bucks. usually grouped with nuvi 550 for sale.

I case anyone is on the fence between sledGPS and the free Quebec trails download found on this sight, we tested them side by side last year and neither one is perfect. Too close to call as to which was better.

X2 EXACTLY. Although $50 aint much tho so the convenience of just popping in an SD card into a Nuvii PLUS all the Nuvii car data is worth it to some.

Ram to bars for Nuvii 500

RAM-B-149Z-GA32U

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-B-149Z-GA32U-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-Garmin/dp/B002R0IRLA/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1324947990&sr=8-29

post-74-0-11618700-1324948221_thumb.jpg

Make sure the GPS has all it updates.Just because it's new may still need to be updated.Its happens to me every time . Go to Garmin site it's really easy.Then the card should work.

Thanks Farmer I'll make sure and do that :good:

ram handlebar mount fits mc and sled. use on my harley in the summer, use the street data base for that!! amazon or ebay around 25 bucks. usually grouped with nuvi 550 for sale.

I'll check that out, thanks

X2 EXACTLY. Although $50 aint much tho so the convenience of just popping in an SD card into a Nuvii PLUS all the Nuvii car data is worth it to some.

Ram to bars for Nuvii 500

RAM-B-149Z-GA32U

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-B-149Z-GA32U-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-Garmin/dp/B002R0IRLA/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1324947990&sr=8-29

Thanks Jack will that same mount fit the 550?

Looks like the GA32 cradle fits several models including the 500 and 550.

Thanks Jack, I went with the SD card I ordered it today. Last night I updated my maps and software, I can't believe when you buy the 550 it doesn't come with the USB cable. Luckily I had one that fit the GPS. Thanks for everyone's help on this one now I just have to get a mount.

I've been using the NUVI 550 for a few years now. Everyone has given great advice here. I went with the Trakmaps SD card. I will say though that Trakmaps has great customer service. I had an issue with my GPS seeing all of the maps (there is normally a transparent and non-transparent map) so I mailed my GPS to Trakmaps and told them to send it back when it worked. A week later it showed up at my house and everything has been fine since.

With a GPS, you will sometimes notice though that the trails are continually changing throughout the year with re-routes for loggging. It gets a little un-nerving at times when you find yourself off the GPS trail in the middle of nowhere, but eventually you loop back to the trail you see on the GPS.

I also found that setting the GPS to 2D view rather than 3D view worked best for snowmobile trails.

I've been using the NUVI 550 for a few years now. Everyone has given great advice here. I went with the Trakmaps SD card. I will say though that Trakmaps has great customer service. I had an issue with my GPS seeing all of the maps (there is normally a transparent and non-transparent map) so I mailed my GPS to Trakmaps and told them to send it back when it worked. A week later it showed up at my house and everything has been fine since.

With a GPS, you will sometimes notice though that the trails are continually changing throughout the year with re-routes for loggging. It gets a little un-nerving at times when you find yourself off the GPS trail in the middle of nowhere, but eventually you loop back to the trail you see on the GPS.

I also found that setting the GPS to 2D view rather than 3D view worked best for snowmobile trails.

Thanks, I have been riding Quebec trails for over half of my life and probably been on 90% of them. I won't really be using this like I would in my car when travelling on an unknown road but more like a backup when something doesn't seem right. :drinks:

Looking for a little help. I have a Garmin 60 CSX and it has worked great for years. I just got a new car power adapter like i had before and lost. When i plug it in it doesn't seem to power up the unit. Any thought or similar problems?

First, make sure a known good device works in your lighter plug. Cell phones often blow the fuse that powers the lighter outlet.

Second, test the fuse in the new plug, there should be a .5 amp fuse in there. After that plug in your new adapter and put a voltmeter on the 4 hole plug. If you look very closely you may find there are only 2 holes with any pin connectors in them. I forget which 2 it is, 2 are for data, 2 are for voltage. You could also use a test light for this.

If all that does not check out you have found your problem. If it does all work, then I would try powering the unit up with the USB cord and a computer. If that works then I'm afraid you may have a broken pin in your GPS. I bet you will find a bad fuse.

Looking for a little help. I have a Garmin 60 CSX and it has worked great for years. I just got a new car power adapter like i had before and lost. When i plug it in it doesn't seem to power up the unit. Any thought or similar problems?

Plugging it in on an Apex? Check the Apex fuse for the accessory outlet too.

First, make sure a known good device works in your lighter plug. Cell phones often blow the fuse that powers the lighter outlet.

Second, test the fuse in the new plug, there should be a .5 amp fuse in there. After that plug in your new adapter and put a voltmeter on the 4 hole plug. If you look very closely you may find there are only 2 holes with any pin connectors in them. I forget which 2 it is, 2 are for data, 2 are for voltage. You could also use a test light for this.

If all that does not check out you have found your problem. If it does all work, then I would try powering the unit up with the USB cord and a computer. If that works then I'm afraid you may have a broken pin in your GPS. I bet you will find a bad fuse.

Power at the cord but not in unit, batteries work fine but want it hard wired.

Plugging it in on an Apex? Check the Apex fuse for the accessory outlet too.

No, new Cat, tried in car and no juice in unit.

Power at the cord but not in unit, batteries work fine but want it hard wired.

No, new Cat, tried in car and no juice in unit.

Well I'd say you are at the point where it's OK to take the back of the 60CSX and see if a drop of well placed solder can save it.

Here is what you are getting into:

http://forums.iowageocachers.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2926

I think this can be saved.I bet you will find something that doesn't look right.

• 3 weeks later...

QUESTION; trak maps quebec has two data bases= transparent and rds; what is the difference? can't see any from one to other trying sitting still? thanks if you know.