GPS Help to get started

JimP

Hey everyone, I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 550 strictly for use on my sled. I have never used a GPS before so I know nothing about it. How do I go about getting the Quebec trail maps for it? Do I need a TOPO eastern canada map? It comes with what looks like a dash mount for a vehicle. How would you go about mounting it to the sled? Would it work if it was in a map bag? I have a 12v outlet on the sled to plug it in. I plan on doing the Gaspe loop this season in late Feb. I have been riding in Quebec for 20 years and I guess I'm the last to have a Gps but have needed one several times. I have been lost before but have always been lucky enough to figure it out but last year over the xmas holidays we spent several hours lost in a logging area with many dead end trails. We were lucky that 1 person in our group had a GPS and was finally able to figure it out and get us out of there. It made a believer out of me so all I have to do now is figure out how to use mine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone, I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 550 strictly for use on my sled. I have never used a GPS before so I know nothing about it. How do I go about getting the Quebec trail maps for it? Do I need a TOPO eastern canada map? It comes with what looks like a dash mount for a vehicle. How would you go about mounting it to the sled? Would it work if it was in a map bag? I have a 12v outlet on the sled to plug it in. I plan on doing the Gaspe loop this season in late Feb. I have been riding in Quebec for 20 years and I guess I'm the last to have a Gps but have needed one several times. I have been lost before but have always been lucky enough to figure it out but last year over the xmas holidays we spent several hours lost in a logging area with many dead end trails. We were lucky that 1 person in our group had a GPS and was finally able to figure it out and get us out of there. It made a believer out of me so all I have to do now is figure out how to use mine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[/quote

x 2 on every thing he said just got my nuvi 550 last week have no idea how to use it on the trails

X3 on what maps to get & how to load them.

I bought this RAM mount for the handlebars RAM-B-149ZU & this cradle for the 550 RAM-HOL-GA32U

I ordered the bar wire kit for the 550 from Garmin & wired it directly to the battery. The kit comes with a cradle but the one from RAM looks like it is more secure.

I see some pay sites have routeable maps with POI & some free maps from QR members.

I like free stuff but am willing to pay for a quality product that will perform when you really need it.

Like they say you get what you pay for.

http://www.gpsquebec.ca/index.php?page=sho...d=1〈=en

I used the paid version in 2006, 2007 and 2008 (in 2007 used the previous year's map). Works with Garmin's mapsource only. Great for pre-planning routes and distances on your PC (not as good on your Mac) before you leave. I found that routing while riding was too much to ask of my GPS receiver - GPS Map60CS. At the right zoom level you come to a new intersection and know right away which way to go even without ever being there before or bad signage. Still need to be wary about late breaking trail changes, re-routes etc. The free maps with other POI data can be just as, or almost, as useful on the sled but will not offer the same easy planning abilities (routing with distance calcs).

RWS had posted the how to's.

First off, i use the handle bar ram mount. Seem to get less vibration on the unit while riding and is very accessible if I want to zoom in or out.

As for the quebec trail map, I downloaded it last winter from one of RWS's threads. It gave the link. I'll see if I can find it and make a current comment.

I did add an 8 gig memory card to mine.

You don't need any more maps to download the trails unless you want them for your background.

The RWS trail map is transparent and sits on top on any maps that you currently have up on the GPS.

Once you have the map file, run mapsource and pull up the map, If I recall correctly, then highlight it and upload it to the gps.

On the GPS, you have to go into the map directory, and turn the map on to see it. Play with the GPS and you will get familiar with it rather quickly.

Hope this helps.

http://www.gpsquebec.ca/index.php?page=sho...d=1〈=en

I used the paid version in 2006, 2007 and 2008 (in 2007 used the previous year's map). Works with Garmin's mapsource only. Great for pre-planning routes and distances on your PC (not as good on your Mac) before you leave. I found that routing while riding was too much to ask of my GPS receiver - GPS Map60CS. At the right zoom level you come to a new intersection and know right away which way to go even without ever being there before or bad signage. Still need to be wary about late breaking trail changes, re-routes etc. The free maps with other POI data can be just as, or almost, as useful on the sled but will not offer the same easy planning abilities (routing with distance calcs).

how do the guys with the nuvi 550's get around the fact that the 550 does not come with a mapsorce disk?

This is for all the guys questions about the Garmin Gps 500 series models:

You should/must have Canada Topo and to save storage space on internal memory you can just pick the areas in the Mapsurce Topo grids to suit where you ride, ex. Quebec or Ontario etc. Download the link above for the color coded overlay and it will go into the Mapsource software that the Topo comes with. Be sure to load the Topo and the color coded QC maps as one to your Garmin by selecting to send to device and check off the maps. By having the Canada topo it gives you a better point of reference not just the towns in the road software.

I would not go with putting it in a mapbag as if it is on your handlebar and just right or left of your trail vision it shows you upcoming turns and is easy to backtrack or follow a line from start to end on your route not to mention storing waypoints.

You cannot disturb your road map info as Garmin has them encripted to protect the files. I use the eastern US and all of Quebec Topo and overlay the colored maps onto all of Quebec.

I use a Garmin 550 and have learned to use it well in two seasons for car,snow and hiking. Trails move hear or there due to right of passage and I have not got the new trail yet around Mt. Valin (La Hutte). Go to Ram mounts website and get the mount and craddle for your model and run a Garmin hard wire or Cig plug to a 12 volt for your unit. NOTE Either wire has a volt step down built in as the unit will fry on straight 12 volts.

When using the Garmin on your sled I run in Bicycle mode and trail direction up to make it easy to follow as you ride. I also carry a small golf pencil with an eraser on to eliminate taking your gloves off in cold weather. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a pm and I can E-mail you back or call you.

Good-Luck,

Dale

how do the guys with the nuvi 550's get around the fact that the 550 does not come with a mapsorce disk?

Download the Training Center:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835

Install it

Then download the MapSource update:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Install it.

You now have MapSource, enjoy!

This is a free legal Canada topo map that is better than Garmins.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

You can download it below. It's a big download 3.8 gb.

canada ibycus v2.1 topo

4 parts for mapsource

run setup--its in mapsource unlocked

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E2WE00JK

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PVQHNWXR

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z7ZNT50P

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4DXFA4QE

And if you need Mapsource, do this.

Download the Training Center:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835

Install it

Then download the MapSource update:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Install it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

do these trail maps only work with Garmin? My wife bought me a magaellan as an aniversary present so i would like to try and use it of couse. If not are there certain models of Garmin that work better for snowmobiling than others?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike,

If I understand correctly, Magellen won't accept third party maps. Meaning that you can't upload maps to it. Only purchase maps made by Magellen. I have an exlplorer 500 and ended up purchasing a Garmin Nuvi 550.

Anybody chime in who knows any different.

Bob

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I just got my new Nuvi 550. It works great in the truck. Now for the snowmobile part of it.

I followed the instructions above and I have my Garmin mapsource installed on the laptop. I also spoke with Tommy that rides with Trailblazer and he gave me the following website to download a set of trail maps to overlay, http://www.box.net/shared/qm72pqlbzu

I downloaded the zip file and it has a text file with it but it is in french. :o

Now I'm lost. Anybody out there that can help me load this into the Nuvi or maybe have another site that I can download the trails from? I would just as soon get a free set since it is so late in the season.

Thanks.

Jack :(

Use google translate for the french text file. If the map shows up in Mapsource, plug in the GPS to the USB on the computer running Mapsource, select the map and transfer it to the GPS. Reboot the GPS and the map should be loaded. You might need to go into the settings on the GPS to make the map visible. Its been a while since I loaded the trails in JimP s Nuvi.

By the way, I have been running the same map version since 2008 and while there are trail changes every year, much of the trails are still the same and I can still orient myself very well even without the latest version GPS maps.

For the Magellan guys, if you google around there are some conversion tools that should allow creating a map that works for you. I've never done it tho.

Things are improving. I've got the trail maps in mapsource and transferred to the Nuvi. One of the things I hadn't done that I found out from Garmin tech support was that I had to download the street maps into the laptop and update the Nuvi at the same time. It was almost a 2 hour download. :o

Like I said, things are getting better. Now for a little practice on the trails.

Jack & Sandi :yahoo:

I started with garmin nuvi 550 and no knowledge of what to do or how to use. Still not very savy. downloads/updates overlays etc not second nature for me! puchased for $49.99 incl shipping northeast us and quebec from sledgps.com on sd card, plugged in and checked box. shows maps of trails and where i am. no topo, not tons of detail, but shows trail and works. at some point I would like to try to download something else to compare, but have not yet. if anyone has compared, would be curious about how much different. and/or better. sledgps.com is partnered with garmin to provide maps, it was simple and works for only 50 bucks. my 2 cents.

headed to RDL to ride Gaspe Saturday!! woo hoo!!

• 10 months later...

Anyone have anything new to add to this? Just got a nuvi 550 ,Merry Christmas now I have to figure the best approach to maps. I am not real savvy with all the tech stuff and it seems there are a few different directions to go here, free, paid SD card etc. I just want the easiest to use and setup, I think I remember something about trakmaps on here too? I have an etrex legend that I have used for hunting for a few years so I am not totally lost. Until now I never really saw the need for a GPS for snowmobiling but I think it could be neat gadget to have esp. if we get off the beaten path. Thanks for any help, I figure this post started a few years ago maybe there have been some changes or things to stay away from.

Anyone have anything new to add to this? Just got a nuvi 550 ,Merry Christmas now I have to figure the best approach to maps. I am not real savvy with all the tech stuff and it seems there are a few different directions to go here, free, paid SD card etc. I just want the easiest to use and setup, I think I remember something about trakmaps on here too? I have an etrex legend that I have used for hunting for a few years so I am not totally lost. Until now I never really saw the need for a GPS for snowmobiling but I think it could be neat gadget to have esp. if we get off the beaten path. Thanks for any help, I figure this post started a few years ago maybe there have been some changes or things to stay away from.

I just got a nuvi550 for xmas. Wife got me the SLEDGPS map card but it doesnt have specific hotels or restaurants on it so I ordered the trakmaps sd card. a few years ago gave me a garmin and we bought the toponav map which was great. unfortunately we couldnt find them online again so we chose the trakmaps.

I just got a nuvi550 for xmas. Wife got me the SLEDGPS map card but it doesnt have specific hotels or restaurants on it so I ordered the trakmaps sd card. a few years ago gave me a garmin and we bought the toponav map which was great. unfortunately we couldnt find them online again so we chose the trakmaps.

Thanks Shane, now if I buy the trakmaps do I still need to download any thing else like Mapsource or a map of Quebec? And even if the answer to that is no is thereany reason why I should or is that part of the SD card?