Jump to content

M20, M21 gone?


mccaffrey
 Share

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, mccaffrey said:

Looking on the FCMQ map and seeing M20, and M21 are not showing on the map, it had been in the red all summer thinking they were logging that area, are these trails gone for the up coming season?

I will see what I can find out. Very possible they are gone for good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mccaffrey said:

Looking on the FCMQ map and seeing M20, and M21 are not showing on the map, it had been in the red all summer thinking they were logging that area, are these trails gone for the up coming season?

I have seen before in the summer months, the map just randomly change and trails disappear or they just stop short by 100 yards connecting to the next.  Hopefully it isn't since we all love those trails. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, skidoo420 said:

How is snow master going to get to his place!!!

I was thinking about that too

the trail won’t be groomed but it won’t be all plowed either. Still access for those with chalets there i think.

not sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not the greatest news regarding M20 & M21.  Imagine what the river run will look like on a Sunday afternoon?  
On the 345 side of things, I really liked going through Chateauvert, but hey the Kanawata express is usually an option if your late for lunch.  I bet the green mountain backcountry riders are salivating at the notion of running the chateauvert side of the trail up to the Gouin, I don’t think I will try breaking that trail after a storm on the 4 stroker, might be a long day.

picture is from a couple years ago crossing the Manouane C dam.  

 

F988010E-EAD9-4977-9EE2-A6BDE9FCDDBB.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last time they logged it was 2005, I remember well thinking I can get through they will not plow the whole width, I started in St Michelle at 3 in the afternoon thinking to get a head start on a week long trip I would knock out a trip to Mattawin river real quick and start from there the next morning...big mistake it was plowed to dirt all tore up and rocks the size of baseballs all over the place. We were both riding brand new sleds, killing the hyfax and trying  not to overheat, Rick was very unhappy with me for showing him this great trail and we were in too far to turn back....I will let someone else report before I do it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

Not the greatest news regarding M20 & M21.  Imagine what the river run will look like on a Sunday afternoon?  
On the 345 side of things, I really liked going through Chateauvert, but hey the Kanawata express is usually an option if your late for lunch.  I bet the green mountain backcountry riders are salivating at the notion of running the chateauvert side of the trail up to the Gouin, I don’t think I will try breaking that trail after a storm on the 4 stroker, might be a long day.

picture is from a couple years ago crossing the Manouane C dam.  

 

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_09/F988010E-EAD9-4977-9EE2-A6BDE9FCDDBB.thumb.jpeg.c0fbb7bca58cacb1a371672104fb9e53.jpeg

OH Yeah !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow Quebec Riders !!!!

Dont know about the rest of you but it’s been a LONG LONG summer for me. Hot, dry and humid is not exactly how I like spending my days. But the upside is there was a stretch of over 30 days that I didn’t have to mow the lawn. Only took the boat out twice this summer because I was just too busy trying to finish up projects at the house. Funny how when you get older everything seems to take twice as long as you thought. To add to the summer doldrums my mom unexpectedly passed away about 6 weeks ago (age 78) and we are still going through trying times with that. Throw in the economy and state of the world nowadays and well.... you get the picture.

So on top of all that there is the news of the M20 & M21. Sadly it appears that the loggers are going to be doing their thing this winter and the area won’t really be conducive to sledding. Ironically I have been very disappointed the last two seasons with both trails. What I noticed from years passed was the increased traffic and number of people using their camps in the area. So much so that I couldn’t get fresh groomed for the life of me. This was never an issue especially on the M21 but now seems impossible. There is a group of 3-4 younger dudes hanging at camp up there somewhere and I swear as soon as the groomer leaves they unleash MAJOR havoc on the trail. Oh well....I guess I did the same up there for a lot of years prior...LOL

As far as Andre’s camp at the end of the M21, one could still get within 4 miles or so of the camp off the #2 road and #1 road which are plowed. For our little crew that doesn’t make much sense as once at the camp....”what now” ?? I guess if we all were not riding big, heavy four strokes we could take the back roads (unmaintained) trail out of there. I’m just not into that type of adventure at this point in my life. We had a hard enough time last season on the groomed trail due to our trip timing and storms. So...at this time and juncture I’m sitting out on the camp this coming season. Will try and concentrate on a few good trips (hmm.. haven’t been to the Abitbi in awhile) with good weather.

All that being said....it was very refreshing and enjoyable to spend 4 days at the camp last week with my two BFF’s.                          We spent some time installing more solar panels and installing roof vents but left plenty of time for fishing (sucked big time), 4-wheeling, and just hanging out. It had been 3 years since I was there without snow and my buddy Jeff’s first time ever.

Here ...the camp a week ago today (Sept. 19th) as we were heading back home.

DED20078-BDFA-48E3-8AD5-5C6101CD0918.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new 480k dollar bridge at the Giraldo dam. Don’t be fooled by this picture. This thing has two massive 4 ft tall Ibeams underneath, all 8x8 PT timbers with galvanized bolts and hardware and will surely be there 50+ years from now.

just don’t lean on the rails and look over like the old bridge....LOL

9ACA4578-F5AD-426F-A8F8-1237F13881DC.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Hello fellow Quebec Riders !!!!

Dont know about the rest of you but it’s been a LONG LONG summer for me. Hot, dry and humid is not exactly how I like spending my days. But the upside is there was a stretch of over 30 days that I didn’t have to mow the lawn. Only took the boat out twice this summer because I was just too busy trying to finish up projects at the house. Funny how when you get older everything seems to take twice as long as you thought. To add to the summer doldrums my mom unexpectedly passed away about 6 weeks ago (age 78) and we are still going through trying times with that. Throw in the economy and state of the world nowadays and well.... you get the picture.

So on top of all that there is the news of the M20 & M21. Sadly it appears that the loggers are going to be doing their thing this winter and the area won’t really be conducive to sledding. Ironically I have been very disappointed the last two seasons with both trails. What I noticed from years passed was the increased traffic and number of people using their camps in the area. So much so that I couldn’t get fresh groomed for the life of me. This was never an issue especially on the M21 but now seems impossible. There is a group of 3-4 younger dudes hanging at camp up there somewhere and I swear as soon as the groomer leaves they unleash MAJOR havoc on the trail. Oh well....I guess I did the same up there for a lot of years prior...LOL

As far as Andre’s camp at the end of the M21, one could still get within 4 miles or so of the camp off the #2 road and #1 road which are plowed. For our little crew that doesn’t make much sense as once at the camp....”what now” ?? I guess if we all were not riding big, heavy four strokes we could take the back roads (unmaintained) trail out of there. I’m just not into that type of adventure at this point in my life. We had a hard enough time last season on the groomed trail due to our trip timing and storms. So...at this time and juncture I’m sitting out on the camp this coming season. Will try and concentrate on a few good trips (hmm.. haven’t been to the Abitbi in awhile) with good weather.

All that being said....it was very refreshing and enjoyable to spend 4 days at the camp last week with my two BFF’s.                          We spent some time installing more solar panels and installing roof vents but left plenty of time for fishing (sucked big time), 4-wheeling, and just hanging out. It had been 3 years since I was there without snow and my buddy Jeff’s first time ever.

Here ...the camp a week ago today (Sept. 19th) as we were heading back home.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_09/DED20078-BDFA-48E3-8AD5-5C6101CD0918.thumb.jpeg.d5c6878e8be5411ef65e62a76f52c44f.jpeg

Love the summer pic of the cabin.

I like this one a lot better🤣

F432D302-64F2-40E9-8A60-F6820FFC8FE4.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 5:41 AM, snowmaster2112 said:

...my mom...trying times...

Zikhronah livrakha  (May her memory be a blessing)

Aleha ha-shalom  (May peace be upon her)

 

As my dearly departed mom used to say:
#1) "The first hundred years are the hardest"
#2) "In a hundred years none of this will matter"
#3) "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Update no surfacing at all on M-20 or M-21 this year.

📢📢📢📢LATEST NEWS DATED NOVEMBER 4, 2022 regarding forestry operations for winter 2022-2023 (information on M20 and M21 at the bottom) During the first emails on March 11, forest operations were to be done (opening of the road) up to KM 100 of road #33 of the straw hat ZEC. The cutting plan has changed. The winter work for the foresters will be carried out at the furthest point at KM 56 of road # 3 and they will also be on road # 32 for about 8 to 10 km. For those who want to know which roads will be surfaced this winter for snowmobiling, the departure will be from the Mattawin bridge for the 360 West towards St-Zénon, that is to say the snowmobile bypass road that leads to KM 9. The trail will pass through the St-Maurice reserve to arrive at KM 28 of the ZEC and then follow road # 4 to reach the Manawan Club at KM 56 of road # 4. Club Manawan will surface as usual on route # 5 of the ZEC, i.e. # 345 by snowmobile. 📢📢📢📢FOR WINTER 2022-2023,

DUE TO FORESTRY OPERATIONS, The Mattawin Snowmobile Club WILL NOT SURFACE THE M20 AND M21 TRAILS. FOR ANY QUESTIONS RELATED TO PARKING ON OPEN ROADS, PLEASE ask questions to the forestry companies that will be there this winter AND NOT to the Mattawin Snowmobile Club. This matter is NOT within our purview.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...