General questions about snowmobiling in quebec

snogoon

Hello everybody, I am from New york in the USA, never been to Canada to ride but its been highly recommended to me. I've been considering coming to the St. Zenon area and staying at Le Cabanon. I have few questions regarding things I have heard/read on the internet. My sleds are insured but is there a certain amount required by Canadian law, just want to make sure I have the proper amount of coverage. Second question is regarding crime, I keep reading things about vehicle/trailer/snowmobile thieves being an issue, how real is this? I checked out the precautions you should take in another post on this forum but it was made in 2009 so I am wondering if this is still an issue. Also does anyone else have any other places that they would recommend to stay at? I would like something that's directly on the trail. Final question, I have been trolling some of the club  pages  on facebook and have noticed that conditions are minimal around this area. I am planning on coming up in a week, if conditions continue to deteriorate is there any suggestions on where else to go?

I appreciate any responses, happy riding!

LeCabanon is a good place to get acquainted with riding in Quebec.  The rooms are not high end fancy, but they are clean.  The price is reasonable at $135/room/night.  The food is good in the restaurant.  They have a nice bar too.  There is a big lot to park in so no issues with trucks and trailers parking.  The lot is secure.  You need to be a guest to get in/out of the lot.  There is a secure sled corral right next to the building.  One thing I would caution you is to not leave your sled in your trailer overnight out in the parking lot.  We leave our sleds in the corral and load our sleds the morning we leave. I haven’t heard of any theft there in years, but we still take the same precautions.  LeCabanon houses the local clubs groomers, and grooming is done every night.  There are plenty of day loop options.  Gas is on the premises as well.  

Where ever you go take precaution lock the sled and take precautions with your truck and trailer 

9 hours ago, snogoon said:

Hello everybody, I am from New york in the USA, never been to Canada to ride but its been highly recommended to me. I've been considering coming to the St. Zenon area and staying at Le Cabanon. I have few questions regarding things I have heard/read on the internet. My sleds are insured but is there a certain amount required by Canadian law, just want to make sure I have the proper amount of coverage. Second question is regarding crime, I keep reading things about vehicle/trailer/snowmobile thieves being an issue, how real is this? I checked out the precautions you should take in another post on this forum but it was made in 2009 so I am wondering if this is still an issue. Also does anyone else have any other places that they would recommend to stay at? I would like something that's directly on the trail. Final question, I have been trolling some of the club  pages  on facebook and have noticed that conditions are minimal around this area. I am planning on coming up in a week, if conditions continue to deteriorate is there any suggestions on where else to go?

I appreciate any responses, happy riding!

Regarding insurance, have you purchased your Quebec trail pass yet? It's available online only, and includes liability insurance. Check with your insurance provider to be sure you are covered in Canada. Theft is nowhere near the issue it was years ago, however as mentioned above, take precautions to protect your equipment. Sorry I can't help with lodging. I have not ridden North of the river in a couple decades.

Quebec Trail Pass

I heard a truck just recently got taken from Le Cabanon parking area. I am not on facebook but heard it was on Quebec Rider facebook.

Maybe someone on this site that is, can confirm or deny.

Welcome to QuebecRider.  One of the best sites you will find for Quebec info.

Sandi had read about a truck stolen on Facebook too.  I don't have any more details.  Theft isn't as bad as it was many years ago but it can happen anywhere anytime.  Take precautions so your equipment isn't the easiest to steal.

It does take awhile to get the passes so order them as soon as you can if you haven't already.  Caveat, the snow this season is not as good as it normally is.

You may already have found this link but if not https://fcmq.fcmqapi.ca/carte-motoneige/indexen.html#map has a wealth of info for the trails.  Click on the snowflake in the top right.  It will show snow depth, trail conditions, grooming info, etc.

The area you are looking at is very popular.  Two other areas that we like to ride are Lac St Jean and the Riviere du Loup.  Take your time and enjoy the sights.  The trails are much different than anywhere else in the USA or Canada.  Get trail maps from where you are staying or download the app.  You will find snowmobilers at most hotels and most will be glad to assist you.  Be safe.

Jack & Sandi

Also, download the iMontoneige app to your phone from the FCMQ website.  When riding keep your phone in airplane mode or it will quickly discharge your phone batteries searching for a cell signal.  The app runs off of GPS.  You can plan routes, etc.  When coming to an intersection just glance at the map and you'll know which way to go. You can easily zoom in/out too. I mount mine on the sled and charge it when we stop for lunch (bring a charger with you, most phones won't take a charge from the sled when it's really cold out).  The app doesn't need a cell connection of WiFi to work.  It is very accurate in my opinion and I believe that it is free.