Renting Sleds in Quebec

Scranton1

Due to limited time, kids etc we are looking into the cost effectiveness of getting rid of the fleet and just renting machines for our annual trip to quebec.

One trip for 7 days is forcasted for the next several years............no interest in riding in PA or NY.

New sled, registration in Pennsylavania, and the 7day pass for quebec, insurance, trailer, trailer registraion etc etc etc.

Gas pulling four sleds for 9 hrs. Yearly maintenence and minimum repairs (usually new sled 2 to 3 years)

plus the terrible depreciation of a great used snowmobile with canadian mileage.....

A rental sled is 200cdn a day. 2500 deductible for any insurance claim.

Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with renting...........

It seems like a no brainer???????????

We always said if we were only going to ride 1 or 2 times a year, rental is the way to go. Just try to get a good reccomendation on your rentals. Years ago a few guys went with us and got great machines, the next year one of them went back and got one of the same sleds with 20000 km, a real junker. Just check ahead.

Like has been already said alot of the rentals have been ridden hard and put away wet.(real junkers) almost dangerous. Some rental places do much more maintenance then others. There is nothing like a machine set up for you. Safe and familiar. Money wise for sure for just one trip a year its crazy to have your own sleds and trailer.I had some experiences with real bad rentals and others that were just fine.

Scranton1, we live in the U.K. and go every year to Quebec region for our 2 weeks snowmobiling so obviously have no alternative but to rent! We have for the past few years rented from the same dealer with no problems but must confess last year things did not go so well with the rented sleds, so this year we are going to try a new dealer in Jonquiere. We went to see them while we were there last February after a recommendation from Sagenuay Bill and thought the whole set up very good and their sleds looked up to date and well maintained. If your interested then PM me and I will give you full details.

Gary

Due to limited time, kids etc we are looking into the cost effectiveness of getting rid of the fleet and just renting machines for our annual trip to quebec.

One trip for 7 days is forcasted for the next several years............no interest in riding in PA or NY.

New sled, registration in Pennsylavania, and the 7day pass for quebec, insurance, trailer, trailer registraion etc etc etc.

Gas pulling four sleds for 9 hrs. Yearly maintenence and minimum repairs (usually new sled 2 to 3 years)

plus the terrible depreciation of a great used snowmobile with canadian mileage.....

A rental sled is 200cdn a day. 2500 deductible for any insurance claim.

Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with renting...........

It seems like a no brainer???????????

Good morning.

I have done it both ways. Living in Florida it is particularly difficult. I store the sleds in north west Pa and truck. Move them north around Dec 27 for the season. Over the years I have found that leaving the truck and sled on location and flying works the best. Perhaps you should research this option as well. It is cheep er then you driving up from Pa by far if you go more then one time. With regards to the quality of sled rented units is touch and go at best. I like to tour so the set up on the rentals wont work for us owning is the best you know what you have and dont risk a blown trip on others equipment. This is a sport you wont finacally ever win in it just boils down to what risk for your trip your willing to take I.M.O

Good luck

Forrest

Good morning.

I have done it both ways. Living in Florida it is particularly difficult. I store the sleds in north west Pa and truck. Move them north around Dec 27 for the season. Over the years I have found that leaving the truck and sled on location and flying works the best. Perhaps you should research this option as well. It is cheep er then you driving up from Pa by far if you go more then one time. With regards to the quality of sled rented units is touch and go at best. I like to tour so the set up on the rentals wont work for us owning is the best you know what you have and dont risk a blown trip on others equipment. This is a sport you wont finacally ever win in it just boils down to what risk for your trip your willing to take I.M.O

Good luck

Forrest

Hi Forest,

When you say touring, do you mean a saddle bagging trip where you make a loop over the course of a week? This is the way that we (Scranton1 and I) like to ride in QC. Is it feasible to think that you can attach your saddle bags to a rental sled and return a week later? Anyone have any experience trying to return a damaged sled? What happens with wear items like blown belts and bearings in idler wheels, etc. Is the renter responsible for these items?

Thanks,

Karl

Hi Forest,

When you say touring, do you mean a saddle bagging trip where you make a loop over the course of a week? This is the way that we (Scranton1 and I) like to ride in QC. Is it feasible to think that you can attach your saddle bags to a rental sled and return a week later? Anyone have any experience trying to return a damaged sled? What happens with wear items like blown belts and bearings in idler wheels, etc. Is the renter responsible for these items?

Thanks,

Karl

Hello Karl.

Yes touring to myself is saddle bagging. I have ridden every where in Qc but my favorite ride is around Lac Saint Jean. For that I usually ride out of Saint Raymond either to Rel as 22 or up through lac Edward to the Jar-den hotel. Next day lac Jim on. Usually high side through mt valin to the ferry and back down approx 1000 miles in 5 days.

With regards to belts you have a spare as well as plugs. If the unit is a 2 stroke oil is on you. Regular were items like you stated are on the dealer. That being said I personally never had one fail ever even when I was riding 5k to 6 k per year. The last 3 years 3k is the norm kids don't tour the same as adults.

This year will start at the Rabaska lodge Dec 27 to Jan 5 wife and kids. I will be trying some thing new this year I will be back towing the sleds and trailer to Plattsburgh storing the trailer in a secure fenced facility 40 bucks per month and the air port has free parking (unlimited). From their you can be in Saint donaot in 2.5 hrs or saint Raymond in 3.5 or Vt in 2 hr (island pond). More options if the snow is slim.

I don't think your going to save your still going to drive likely still going to own sleds at home and possibly a trailer so the cost is minimal at best. Flying save a days drive each way so you can work more. I fly out of Orlando to Plattsburg for 60 to 80 dollars up usually less coming home. Leave around noon and I'm on the trail for dinner.

I like starting the year on the west side shorter drive from the cabin in Drift wood Pa. 450 miles to the hotel North bay Ont is approx the same less then 8 hrs.

Hope this helps your thoughts

Forrest

Location de Motonieges Haute-Matawinie in St. Michael des Saints usually keeps rentals one (current) year then sells them all off.

A few years ago a freind bought one from them. They have a large trailer and deliverd them all to Syracuse N.Y. (multiple orders).

Renting from them guarantees a new (current year) sled. For one week a year it is a no brainer the rental way.

Location de Motonieges Haute-Matawinie in St. Michael des Saints usually keeps rentals one (current) year then sells them all off.

A few years ago a freind bought one from them. They have a large trailer and deliverd them all to Syracuse N.Y. (multiple orders).

Renting from them guarantees a new (current year) sled. For one week a year it is a no brainer the rental way.

You are correct! This particular dealer replaces there fleet every year. I have never rented from them but have been there a couple of times, there fleet of rentals allways looked new and well maintained. I may rent a sled for a day from them this winter as I want to try out a Skidoo with a 1200 4-tech.

I know 2 of the guys who guide riders from this dealer. These guides are great guys who take no nonsense from the riders they are guiding. Sleds do not get mistreated with these two guys.

You are correct! This particular dealer replaces there fleet every year. I have never rented from them but have been there a couple of times, there fleet of rentals allways looked new and well maintained. I may rent a sled for a day from them this winter as I want to try out a Skidoo with a 1200 4-tech.

Hey Dave, did you get to the bottom of your motor troubles from last year? It's a shame you had to cut your trip short. What are you and your wife planning for this year? We were were thinking of maybe making a trip to the Gaspe,but would probably be open to almost anywhere. My wife says no more 325 mile days though. :rolleyes:

I know 2 of the guys who guide riders from this dealer. These guides are great guys who take no nonsense from the riders they are guiding. Sleds do not get mistreated with these two guys.

They def. have a good maintainence program there and alot of the miles are put on in tour groups that are guided and just putter along, but they do rent to anyone not just guided trips so check them out good before you drive away because they hold you responsible for any damage.

We have used them. Yes brand new sleds, very good people. If you venture more than 100 miles away and break down getting the sled back is your problem. It is not cheap I believe it was like $1,000 for 4 days U S... But they have lots of different models to choose from.

I have also rented from the Yamaha / Cat dealer in L S J and he was very fair...even after I crashed the F 1 :-0 I am sure Bill knows the shop's name...

Edited by Phil 1

Hey Dave, did you get to the bottom of your motor troubles from last year? It's a shame you had to cut your trip short. What are you and your wife planning for this year? We were were thinking of maybe making a trip to the Gaspe,but would probably be open to almost anywhere. My wife says no more 325 mile days though. :rolleyes:

Hello Viper2 good to hear from you again. 1 jug, 2 pistons and gaskets ect. Dealer could not figure out what caused the failure! Right now we are just planning 1 week out of the Cabanon and maybe do an overnighter somewhere. We have 2 seats booked for the Polaris demo ride out of the POT. That day may determine if we snow check 2 new Poo's or Doo's in March. I also plan on renting a 1200 4-tech for a day to try it out. By the way all the motor work would have cost almost $2300! That really made me apreciate the extended warranty, $50 out of pocket. The warranty just expired!

We have used them. Yes brand new sleds, very good people. If you venture more than 100 miles away and break down getting the sled back is your problem. It is not cheap I believe it was like $1,000 for 4 days U S... But they have lots of different models to choose from.

I have also rented from the Yamaha / Cat dealer in L S J and he was very fair...even after I crashed the F 1 :-0 I am sure Bill knows the shop's name...

The name of the dealer is Evasion Sport. Very nice people to deal with. Snomogary is going to use them this coming winter. I have know these folks for almost 15 years and have only had good things to say. One Friday night a guy came in the HI with a blown piston on his AC. Called Evasion and owner told him he had no mechanics in on Sat but he could use shop and their tools if he wanted to do it himself. He picked him and his sled up at 7:30. He was on his way at 12 noon. Guys name is Kelly Moore. Any of you guys know him, #47 Busch North Division.

Edited by Saguenay Bill