Lanaudiere St-Zenon 11december 2010

towing

Yes, the first ride for us yesterday :yahoo: :yahoo:

Even they began to groom, the trails are not officially opened there yet. The snow cover was still very thin yesterday (before the actuel snowfall), between 6" to 9" of snow to the ground, the thinner area was near the Glaciere where we started. Because there was very few traffic yet, there was no snow/sand mix and the trails were surprisingly nice

DSC08446.jpg

DSC08451.jpg

It was very beginning condition, the skis scratched base rocks frequently and there was some rocks mixed in the snow mainly in hills. Time to use a well used ski runner set to kick rocks ;)

DSC08457.jpg

But even riding safe, we could open the throttle a little...

DSC08467.jpg

Be advice that on the 2 last miles before the Cabanon (on the 345 trail), the trail have been moved just beside the road we usually used because they will use this road for wood transport a part of the season

DSC08470.jpg

to be continued...

They had grommed the #345 to the Taureau Dam and a big loop in Mastigouche reserve that connect back on the #345 around 8 miles south from Cabanon. They had also begin to groom the #318 to St-Michel des Saints village. We tried this last one to ride few miles before the lunch already knowing that it was a more rocky trail and that we had to turn back before St-Michel. It was cloudy but sometimes the sun was really near...

DSC08474.jpg

And 5 minutes later we had heavy snow !!!

DSC08479.jpg

When we reached the hills serie near St-Michel the trail became to much ruff and we turned back. The hills nearer Cabanon were pretty good

DSC08485.jpg

After the lunch, we went to the dam. The trail being mainly on Mastigouche reserve summer roads, the conditions were really better there and we rode really faster without scratching rocks.

DSC08490.jpg

a little more rocky in the 2 last miles near the dam. We stopped there to take a break.

DSC01430.jpg

to be continued...

And we came back...

DSC08496.jpg

And took the #318 to make the Mastisgouche reserve loop. This part was very nice, near perfect condition...

DSC08500.jpg

and we got the sun shine in bonus, beautiful...

DSC08510.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

The 2 miles before getting back on the #345 were a little ruff but it worth it do make the loop. And we got back in our starting point direction(Glaciere). Had to reduce the beat and being more carefull because it was ruffer on some places but still good in others

DSC08525.jpg

Arrivied at the trailer with 111.1 miles on the dreammeter for the first ride B)

To conclude, the snowbase was thin but the the trail base is already prepared. We are now in a snowfall, here in the south we had 4 to 5" before it turn to rain at the end of the afternoon. There are big chances that they will get much snow and very little rain up north... we will see. It's still looking very good for official trail opening very soon :good:

Bye :drinks:

Alain

And we came back...

DSC08496.jpg

And took the #318 to make the Mastisgouche reserve loop. This part was very nice, near perfect condition...

DSC08500.jpg

DSC08510.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

The 2 miles before getting back on the #345 were a little ruff but it worth it do make the loop. And we got back in our starting point direction(Glaciere). Had to reduce the beat and being more carefull because it was ruffer on some places but still good in others

DSC08525.jpg

Great report not bad for first ride. Wish I was there. :good:

Arrivied at the trailer with 111.1 miles on the dreammeter for the first ride B)

To conclude, the snowbase was thin but the the trail base is already prepared. We are now in a snowfall, here in the south we had 4 to 5" before it turn to rain at the end of the afternoon. There are big chances that they will get much snow and very little rain up north... we will see. It's still looking very good for official trail opening very soon :good:

Alain

Looks really thin.....

Please dont think that the whole region is in mid winter conditions because they are not !

Maybe flat roads are rideable at the moment but this region only has a few inches of snow.

St-donat had only 10cm of snow on the ground saturday and it looked good yesterday with an addition of 30 cm but then came the down pour so we may have about 20 cm of snow on the ground right now. Creeks/rivers and not frozen and lakes are very unsafe.

Just a heads up for people who are going up thinking its all 100% rideable.

Thank you guys !!!

Looks really thin.....

Yes markusvt it was, it's why it was not officially open, but I am glad they began to work with what they had. I don't know exactly how much they received since yesterday but I just read a post on a french forum coming from Cabanon telling that their trails will propably all opened for the next week-end... I will confirme as soon as I get it from official source but it looks very good... :good:

Looks good for early riding. The family and I will be up Dec 26 to Jan 6. If the cold stays things should go well. Glad you had a good ride.

I know that some of you have planned trips there and it's why I posted this ride-report even it was not officially opened and the cover was thin to give you a reality check how it was on saturday. With what they just received and the cold/snow forecast for the next weeks i'm pretty sure you will have a great time there B)

Please dont think that the whole region is in mid winter conditions because they are not !

Maybe flat roads are rideable at the moment but this region only has a few inches of snow.

St-donat had only 10cm of snow on the ground saturday and it looked good yesterday with an addition of 30 cm but then came the down pour so we may have about 20 cm of snow on the ground right now. Creeks/rivers and not frozen and lakes are very unsafe.

Just a heads up for people who are going up thinking its all 100% rideable.

Hi Quebec#1, my intend was not to mislead anyone here but to give the first good news the more accurate I can and I don't think any inform sleders would think we were already in mid winter conditions. Yes, the trails I rode on saturday where the only one groomed in Lanaudiere but It seems the playground will grow for the next weekend. Maybe the rain will have lowered the measured snow to the ground compared to a 30cm of fluffy stuff but in fact to make trails, this very dense and compact snow will make excellent material for solid trail base so it's not so bad. As for creeks/rivers and lake, it's like all years: don't go on them in december unless thay have been verified and confirmed ok, we want you ALIVE and don't need more stupid death (already happened this year).This beeing said, on saturday the Stanislas lake infront Cabanon was already tested and confirmed safe (ready to play ;))

It's season beginning.....and it's good !!!

:drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing

Do you know if the st-raymond trails are good to go towards l'etape ?

From what I can translate the trail to L etape are passable north was more rain to the Hi in J town. The park and the rail road bed are fair rideable with caution. The Lac Brochet Lac Edward area isn't safe. I read in the paper of a sledder going through the ice this past sat on Lac Edward 4" at the time of the accident. I would not take the short cut up to the big lake yet. Still round trip in the park is a nice ride for early season .

Towing thank you I have no preconceive notions about the conditions. time will evolve them like past years.

Edited by rmk

And we came back...

DSC08496.jpg

DSC08500.jpg

DSC08510.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

DSC08525.jpg

Alain

great report alain thank you. ps: how did you mount your spot. I just activated one last week.