Tremblant Parc - Rouge Matawin issues

timbo

Am at my place in St-Donat and have been riding in Lenaudiere for the past 4 days. I have encountered 5 or 6 different groups of riders who have been "directionally challenged" with current trail routing in the Mount-Tremblant park area.

Just a few observations that my save some of you a little inconvenience. Basically, this all stems from a couple of topics that were covered here on this site during the past month or so. Most folks who ride in the St-Donat/St-Michel-des-Saints area were aware that the St-Michel relay was to be closed for this season, with no food or gas available at the cafeteria near the St-Michel park gate. This was to be the last season for snowmobiles in the National Mt-Tremblant park as all trails hereafter were to be either in the Reserves Faunique (like the Mastigouche or Rouge-Matawin) or on private forest lands. As part of this transition, we were to be able to ride just this last season thru the Park from St-Donat, thru only the Caribou Park gate, to get to the Relay Cypres. A new trail was to be constructed from Lac Croche, just outside the Caribou park gate, that would cross just outside the Tremblant Park and connect at the Coin Lavigne by the St-Come park gate. This new trail was to be a re-routed TQ33 which was to eventually connect with TQ 63, a few miles west of La La Glaciere. All these new trails resulting in the plan to keep sleds out of National Parks are shown on both the 2010-2011 Lenaudiere and the 2010-2011 Quebec trail maps. The elimination of TQ 33 leading from St-Donat, thru the St-Donat park gate, is also depicted on both official maps.

The deal is, the new TQ 33 leading from Lac Croche to Coin Lavigne is not finished. It is not open. I was at the intersection of (the new, proposed intersection)TQ33/310 at Lac Croche yesterday and met with two officials of the St-Donat snomobile club and they reported that the new trail would not be completed for at least a month. To deal with this issue, the Club has made arrangements with the National Park people to permit the St-Donat park gate entrance to remain open this winter, and TQ 33 will still access the park thru the same trail as it used the past couple of winters, passing by the Relais Cypres as it had last year. The Caribou gate will also be open (310), as it was last winter.

The resulting jug screw from this mapping debacle has a lot of the pilgrims who are here riding in this part of Lenaudiere, using their brandy-new 2011 Trail Maps, driving around in circles scratching their heads, and lost.

If you are planning on riding in this area for the next month or so, be aware.

Riding the hell out of my new Rush Pro R 800 thru the majestic beauty of Lenaudiere.

timbo

Timbo: Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning on going up later in the season. I've been going to that area since 1993. Always a great time. I have the new trail map and had noticed all the trail changes. I can see where it could be confusing if some of the trails aren't open and the new map doesn't show the old routes.I guess the only hope for new to the area riders is that people along the way make a point of offering some trail information. It's especially important that people are aware that the Rouge Matawin cafeteria is not open anymore. I can see some people running out of gas!!

Keep up on the reports as they are invaluable to people planning to head that way.

Merry Christmas to all. regards Combat :good:

Am at my place in St-Donat and have been riding in Lenaudiere for the past 4 days. I have encountered 5 or 6 different groups of riders who have been "directionally challenged" with current trail routing in the Mount-Tremblant park area.

Just a few observations that my save some of you a little inconvenience. Basically, this all stems from a couple of topics that were covered here on this site during the past month or so. Most folks who ride in the St-Donat/St-Michel-des-Saints area were aware that the St-Michel relay was to be closed for this season, with no food or gas available at the cafeteria near the St-Michel park gate. This was to be the last season for snowmobiles in the National Mt-Tremblant park as all trails hereafter were to be either in the Reserves Faunique (like the Mastigouche or Rouge-Matawin) or on private forest lands. As part of this transition, we were to be able to ride just this last season thru the Park from St-Donat, thru only the Caribou Park gate, to get to the Relay Cypres. A new trail was to be constructed from Lac Croche, just outside the Caribou park gate, that would cross just outside the Tremblant Park and connect at the Coin Lavigne by the St-Come park gate. This new trail was to be a re-routed TQ33 which was to eventually connect with TQ 63, a few miles west of La La Glaciere. All these new trails resulting in the plan to keep sleds out of National Parks are shown on both the 2010-2011 Lenaudiere and the 2010-2011 Quebec trail maps. The elimination of TQ 33 leading from St-Donat, thru the St-Donat park gate, is also depicted on both official maps.

The deal is, the new TQ 33 leading from Lac Croche to Coin Lavigne is not finished. It is not open. I was at the intersection of (the new, proposed intersection)TQ33/310 at Lac Croche yesterday and met with two officials of the St-Donat snomobile club and they reported that the new trail would not be completed for at least a month. To deal with this issue, the Club has made arrangements with the National Park people to permit the St-Donat park gate entrance to remain open this winter, and TQ 33 will still access the park thru the same trail as it used the past couple of winters, passing by the Relais Cypres as it had last year. The Caribou gate will also be open (310), as it was last winter.

The resulting jug screw from this mapping debacle has a lot of the pilgrims who are here riding in this part of Lenaudiere, using their brandy-new 2011 Trail Maps, driving around in circles scratching their heads, and lost.

Riding the hell out of my new Rush Pro R 800 thru the majestic beauty of Lenaudiere.

timbo

Thanks Timbo I will pass that info onto my dad as he is going up next week to LeCabanon for a week in the Lanaudiere region. The map thing won't matter to him too much as he never looks at the map, but he will like to know that the cafeteria is closed. Thanks for the report and good sledding. :drinks:

timbo

Hello Tim Thanks for the info will be uo Tuesday night or Wedensday morningIf the snow there is still good.Any way thanks for the info Rich

Merry Christmas Richie

It's looking a little "iffy" right now amigo. No snow here in the past 6 days and nothing forecast till New Year's weekend, and that is to be ice/rain. Eyes glued to Accuweather each day. It's not encouraging. We need at least a foot of snow to get back in shape. Some trails are in decent shape but most of the hillsides have more and more clunkers coming through as the traffic takes it toll. St-Donat and Notre-Dame clubs are trying their best but have very little for the groomers to work with. It's really too bad as the temps have been perfect....down to single digits (F) each nite and highs in the mid-teens to low twenties each day. It's 12F here right now. At least they are riding Archambault now so the speed demons are getting their rocks off (and not pounding the trails).

We're going to keep a keen eye on the weather the next couple of day, hoping for some encouragement, but if it stays as it has been forecast the past few days, we'll probably bail out and return to slowville on Tuesday or Wednesday. Happy New Year!

We're just setting out for Coin Lavigne - Glaciere - Koubec loop. I want to check out Coin Lavigne - St-Come trail, then over Pont Suspendu on the way back thru Notre-Dame.

timbo

Merry Christmas Richie

It's looking a little "iffy" right now amigo. No snow here in the past 6 days and nothing forecast till New Year's weekend, and that is to be ice/rain. Eyes glued to Accuweather each day. It's not encouraging. We need at least a foot of snow to get back in shape. Some trails are in decent shape but most of the hillsides have more and more clunkers coming through as the traffic takes it toll. St-Donat and Notre-Dame clubs are trying their best but have very little for the groomers to work with. It's really too bad as the temps have been perfect....down to single digits (F) each nite and highs in the mid-teens to low twenties each day. It's 12F here right now. At least they are riding Archambault now so the speed demons are getting their rocks off (and not pounding the trails).

We're going to keep a keen eye on the weather the next couple of day, hoping for some encouragement, but if it stays as it has been forecast the past few days, we'll probably bail out and return to slowville on Tuesday or Wednesday. Happy New Year!

We're just setting out for Coin Lavigne - Glaciere - Koubec loop. I want to check out Coin Lavigne - St-Come trail, then over Pont Suspendu on the way back thru Notre-Dame.

timbo

Thanks Bud keep me infomed and will keep a eye on the weather if not good there will find something to do for New years.Let me know. Me and Kayann will being going some where if you want to join us for New Years.Rich

Merry Christmas Richie

timbo

This is looking very similiar to last season! 8 inches in DC last week and now today 10 to 20 inches in Philadelphia and 20+ inches are forcast in Trenton New Jersey. No snow to the north for days on end. I hope all of this changes soon! Hopefully 2011 brings us what we are all looking for. SNOW and cold in Quebec!

This is looking very similar to last season! 8 inches in DC last week and now today 10 to 20 inches in Philadelphia and 20+ inches are forecast in Trenton New Jersey. No snow to the north for days on end. I hope all of this changes soon! Hopefully 2011 brings us what we are all looking for. SNOW and cold in Quebec!

You got that right. It's pretty sad when NJ gets more snow than parts of upstate NY and Canada! Last winter we had over 80" in my area! I'm starting

to think it's time to get an old, used sled just to use around here. I won't ride my current sled around here because there is never any

base, just snow than dirt. Studs are no good either. We have around 17" right now. Then, by New Years, it'll be 53 degrees.

You nicely summarize the situation with the Tremblant Park timbo. Actually from what I had seen on the trails many peoples just don't know that Rouge-Mattawin relai is closed. Also many went at St-Donat gate without really knowing that is was supposed to be closed... at least it was still open for them, and the message will pass...

For the forecast, keep positive!!! there was some rain in the last big snowdrop but the finals results were really good :good:

:drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing

You nicely summarize the situation with the Tremblant Park timbo. Actually from what I had seen on the trails many peoples just don't know that Rouge-Mattawin relai is closed. Also many went at St-Donat gate without really knowing that is was supposed to be closed... at least it was still open for them, and the message will pass...

For the forecast, keep positive!!! there was some rain in the last big snowdrop but the finals results were really good :good:

Alain

I'm doing my best snow dance, Alain.

Krissy and I rode over thru the Parc to St-Michel today. Had lunch at the Sawmill. Were lots of folks enjoying a beautiful day. I thought i might see you on the trails!!

timbo

I'm doing my best snow dance, Alain.

Krissy and I rode over thru the Parc to St-Michel today. Had lunch at the Sawmill. Were lots of folks enjoying a beautiful day. I thought i might see you on the trails!!

timbo

I'm jalous, too bad for me,I was at work today ...... <_< <_< .... :pardon:

Next ride in 2011 for me... :o

Alain