Vacation Starts This Weekend

mikerider

Looking for suggestions for a week long trip, probably heading out this Saturday or Sunday. New sled, riding alone, so looking for an area that is more apt to have more road crossings or trails going from town to town without many long wilderness stretches. (hey, I'm driving a new Cat, one can't be too careful lol). Driving up from the coast of Maine so I know all the places reporting riding are a long haul. Just looking for an area that I can RIDE! Even if I do the same loop everyday, not fussy at this point. I've been through most of the areas at one time or another, but usually just going through on tour, so I am not familiar if there is good local day riding.

Looks like Lac Beauport is reporting good conditions, also Groomer's area, and the St. Zenon area. Not too interested in Mont Valin. I'm guessing Jonquiere isn't quite ready yet for good riding.

So any suggestions? St. George through Matane is the usual area I ride when alone, so that gives an idea of what I'm looking for. I won't be saddlebagging this trip, just looking for what town to stay in and ride from daily.

Thanks for any suggestions. Anxious to try the new Cat!

Mike

You could make it to Beaupre, QC (about 30 minutes Northeast of Quebec City) from Brunswick, ME in about 5 1/2 hours if you went up through St. Georges. (Not sure where you are starting from in Maine). Ride 369 to L'Etape or just take TQ3 North. Plenty of sled traffic in case that trip wrecker leaves you stranded. lol. Plenty of snow and trails are groomed. However, riding from any hotel around there was tricky last weekend without a GPS. Local trail wasn't marked at all. But there is a safe parking spot 5 minutes from town where the groomer runs out of. Guy charges $10 a day.

Thanks for the suggestions. As of right now I think I'll drive up to Montmogny and check that out, if not good will drive on to RDL. Both these places are reporting limited conditions, which can be great or not so. If all else fails, I'll keep on driving to Causapal and Groomer's location and ride from there. His area sounds like a sure bet. Who knows, maybe my first stop in Montmogny and I will find someone who knows what is best.

Thanks,

Mike

Been in Montmagny past day and a half and riding is so-so but also limited. Some good and some just passable. Thinking of driving to somewhere else tomorrow morning, if roads are good. Is Raymond groomed AND signed now...

Another choice is Rimouski which is listed as limited, or head to Groomer`s land, which is a long drive from here.

If any of you have any good info, please post.

Also, some of you were curious either earlier in the year or last spring, wondering how I would like the new Cat, an 1100 F lxr. So far I am very disappointed in the ride of the rear suspension, enough so that I will try selling it cheap. My back aches driving this sled even with slight small bumps. The running quality is very nice and seems to get good gas mileage.

mike

Been in Montmagny past day and a half and riding is so-so but also limited. Some good and some just passable. Thinking of driving to somewhere else tomorrow morning, if roads are good. Is Raymond groomed AND signed now...

Another choice is Rimouski which is listed as limited, or head to Groomer`s land, which is a long drive from here.

If any of you have any good info, please post.

Also, some of you were curious either earlier in the year or last spring, wondering how I would like the new Cat, an 1100 F lxr. So far I am very disappointed in the ride of the rear suspension, enough so that I will try selling it cheap. My back aches driving this sled even with slight small bumps. The running quality is very nice and seems to get good gas mileage.

mike

Hey Mike

Good that you found some snow! Sounds like typical early season riding in Montmag! Can't say firsthand, but from Groomer's pics and Andy's and Steven's recent posts and pics, sounds like Groomerland might be worth the extra trip for you to find great riding.

Sorry you don't like everything about your new kitty. Most folks know I am no ditch pickle fan but I've always thought most of their recent trail machines had a great ride. Mebbee if you fool around with your suspension set-up a little more you'll discover a sweet-spot that is more pleasing.

If you do journey to Groomerland, Pud and I will be there friday afternoon.

good luck.

timbo

Looking for suggestions for a week long trip, probably heading out this Saturday or Sunday. New sled, riding alone, so looking for an area that is more apt to have more road crossings or trails going from town to town without many long wilderness stretches. (hey, I'm driving a new Cat, one can't be too careful lol). Driving up from the coast of Maine so I know all the places reporting riding are a long haul. Just looking for an area that I can RIDE! Even if I do the same loop everyday, not fussy at this point. I've been through most of the areas at one time or another, but usually just going through on tour, so I am not familiar if there is good local day riding.

Looks like Lac Beauport is reporting good conditions, also Groomer's area, and the St. Zenon area. Not too interested in Mont Valin. I'm guessing Jonquiere isn't quite ready yet for good riding.

So any suggestions? St. George through Matane is the usual area I ride when alone, so that gives an idea of what I'm looking for. I won't be saddlebagging this trip, just looking for what town to stay in and ride from daily.

Thanks for any suggestions. Anxious to try the new Cat!

Mike

Like Timbo I am heading to Groomer Land this weekend as well Mike.

Andy

Thanks for the info guys. And thanks Coldsmoke, I know St Ray gets beat up on weekends, but thought maybe weekdays it would be okay, just can`t get a handle on snow depth and grooming and signing for St Ray.

I see over towards RDL has been upgraded from Limited to Good so that may be my best best. Was hoping for good news out of St Ray as that is very close.

Not sure I`will make it to Groomer`s area, that is a far drive from here. But if I do, will see you guys, that would be great.

And Timbo, spent a good part of today`s ride tying to get the suspension to ride better, and I did not even come close. Puzzling, as the Twin Spar Cat rode so nice.

mike

You may also want to consider the St. Zenon area. After looking at Towing's trail report & pics it looks like that area is really starting to shape up. Good luck where ever you go. Sorry to hear about the CAT. I am a Poo guy but my second choice would be a DOO. I like a really good ride on long days.