New guy here

slimjim2525

Well i'm new to this forum and went for the first time this winter to Quebec. I love the place, and so glad I went and will definately be back yearly. I'm reading around here trying to gather as much trail info as I can. So I just have a couple questions. Is there a place I can get a real good trail map, as I wanna plan a loop for me and the wife? She is good for 100-150 miles per day, and will likely be leaving from Mt. Laurier and/or Saugenay area. How about the best place to get a Quebec GPS map. I have a Garmin Nuvi and it will hold a micro sd card. Also what would realistically be the earliest you could ride out of Saugenay area. I have vacation time scheduled for the week of Dec. 9th. Is that feasible? Thanks for your help. Jim

Jim

It seems the Enfield, Somers, Ellington, Broadbrook and the Windsors area produce half the riders this past year.

Anyways...

Best Map in general is the one from FCMQ, but once you get into the regions, get the local map, and when you stop at a place to eat or get gas, grab the local/local maps. Do a little looking online at the www.fcmq.qc.ca and they even have an online version that you can plan loops with. Also links to the regional sites.

I use TrakMaps on my Garmin and they work good (http://www.trakmaps.com/).

The 9th would be early, but if you REALLY want to ride Mt. Valin maybe open then.

info here: http://www.caribouconscrits.com/

Welcome to the group!

Later

GutZ

Welcome aboard slimjim. Come up to the NH Grass Drags the 2nd weekend in Oct. I'll be at the event with maps snd info on the Saguenay-Lac St-Jean, Quebec City and Charlevoix area. Also will have the Quebec Provincial Map. These will be the 2012/13 maps.

Thanks guys for your help. I will definatley try to make the grass drags, pending my work schedule. I was in the Mont Laurier region this year and loved it. Can't wait til next year. Anybody tried sledgps.com quebec maps? Also if any husband/wife teams know areas up there, the wife and I would like to be shown around.

GutZ, I see you're from Southwick. My bro-in-law is a cop there. Raced motocross at MX338 at least 50 times.

Well i'm new to this forum and went for the first time this winter to Quebec. I love the place, and so glad I went and will definately be back yearly. I'm reading around here trying to gather as much trail info as I can. So I just have a couple questions. Is there a place I can get a real good trail map, as I wanna plan a loop for me and the wife? She is good for 100-150 miles per day, and will likely be leaving from Mt. Laurier and/or Saugenay area. How about the best place to get a Quebec GPS map. I have a Garmin Nuvi and it will hold a micro sd card. Also what would realistically be the earliest you could ride out of Saugenay area. I have vacation time scheduled for the week of Dec. 9th. Is that feasible? Thanks for your help. Jim

HI slimjim2525,

Welcome !!!!!! this is such a great site and very good people with great info. drinks.gif

crazysnow !!!!

Hey crazysnow: See you're from the poconos. Graduated from King's College in Wilkes-Barre.

NICE !!! I'm actually from NYC. move up about 13 years ago my parents had house in the poconos since I was a little kid . I'm a old man now laugh.giflaugh.gif !!!

Edited by crazysnow

welcome to the site :good: :good:

dont lissen to crazysnow theres no good people here there great lol

hay gutz dont forget naugatuck hahaha

Whats up cold smoke do you have a heated shield cord for me next year . laugh.giflaugh.gif !!!

Nice meeting you and your wife this year !!!! Great time friends.gif

Jim there are 12 to 15 of us in the Broad Brook Snow Seekers Club. We are mostly from East Windsor,South Windsor,Ellington,East Hartford,& Bolton. Most of us have been riding in Quecbec for the past 30 years. We meet every Wed's evening during the season. Get in touch with me after Labor Day & join us us on Wed's Evening & we'll be glad to give you advice on area's to go to & possibility you might want to join us on one or more of our trips. We usely try to ride Quebec at least 4 trips per season. Ken

Jim there are 12 to 15 of us in the Broad Brook Snow Seekers Club. We are mostly from East Windsor,South Windsor,Ellington,East Hartford,& Bolton. Most of us have been riding in Quecbec for the past 30 years. We meet every Wed's evening during the season. Get in touch with me after Labor Day & join us us on Wed's Evening & we'll be glad to give you advice on area's to go to & possibility you might want to join us on one or more of our trips. We usely try to ride Quebec at least 4 trips per season. Ken

No Way, A Broad Brook Club. My Brother (Long Hair GutZ and Mini Gutz) live in BB and No Hair GutZ lives in Somers.

May they come to the meetings. Or I'll go and tell them about it.

GutZ

welcome to the site :good: :good:

dont lissen to crazysnow theres no good people here there great lol

hay gutz dont forget naugatuck hahaha

and Naugatuck.

Good News! I have the pieces for LongHairs 800r (Crank, Block, Cases, Water Jacket, Pistons, Gaskets......), so it's off to the Race Shop Thursday! A Little Mill Work and Prep.

CrazySnow; what did you guys do with your brothers Mach? If your rebuilding it, I may be able to guide/help/assist, I have manuals and stuff...

Let me know.

GutZ

Thanks guys for your help. I will definatley try to make the grass drags, pending my work schedule. I was in the Mont Laurier region this year and loved it. Can't wait til next year. Anybody tried sledgps.com quebec maps? Also if any husband/wife teams know areas up there, the wife and I would like to be shown around.

GutZ, I see you're from Southwick. My bro-in-law is a cop there. Raced motocross at MX338 at least 50 times.

Which Officer?

I lived/live 2 streets from the MX. Every Sunday AM, it sounded like a huge swarm of bees... and the sweet smell of good av gas and oil!

I'd like to attend as well!

Thanks

GutZ

and Naugatuck.

Good News! I have the pieces for LongHairs 800r (Crank, Block, Cases, Water Jacket, Pistons, Gaskets......), so it's off to the Race Shop Thursday! A Little Mill Work and Prep.

CrazySnow; what did you guys do with your brothers Mach? If your rebuilding it, I may be able to guide/help/assist, I have manuals and stuff...

Let me know.

GutZ

Hi Gutz,

it's going on Ebay , Craigslist, dootalk etc. selling it as is !!!!!!! talked to some people and dealers they all say don't put a penny in to it .

Hope I can get around a $1000 bucks :unsure: !!!!!!!

Selling mine as well, 5500....

I would agree with the Dealers.

But it did run great after RevCT blew the belt on it. No more Vibrations and it pulled 110 at only 7500rpm across LSJ.

GutZ

That sounds great. I will definately be in touch. Do you guys have a web site?

Which Officer?

I lived/live 2 streets from the MX. Every Sunday AM, it sounded like a huge swarm of bees... and the sweet smell of good av gas and oil!

Kevin Bishop. Let me rephrase. His wife now was married to my bro-in-law, but they still come to all the family functions. Southwick is awesome if you like the rough stuff. The whoops get so big there by the end of a race day you could park a volkswagen in them and skip right over the top of them. That's why i don't mind a little rough trails. No big deal for what i'm used too. LOL

Welcome to QuebecRider Jim.

Sandi and I have put on a few miles in Quebec over the years. It is the best place to ride.

Like others have said, paper trail maps can be obtained from the FCMQ no charge. They have the federation map which covers all of Quebec and they will also have the regional maps. Their number phone is 877-bon-jour, 877-266-5687. They may still have maps left over from this season.

For the GPS, we have a Nuvi 550 and I download the free trail map from

Quebec Trail Map 2012.

You can make any length daytrip you want or you can saddlebag and do a loop from one hotel to the next and back to the truck.

Dec 9th is early in the season. Mt Valin usually has some riding around Thanksgiving. Sometimes the snow stays and some years it melts off. I have never gone in November but I have rode in early December. It just depends on Mother Nature. If I was going that early in the season and were riding on Mt Valin, I think I would stay at one of the places on Mt Valin such as Auberge Carcajou or Auberge 31.

Happy trails to you.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

Edited by revct1