Joliette/Grand-Mère/Mattawin/St-Zenon photo ride-report 15February2014

towing

A ride for us that the plan had changed until the last minute to finally go this way : The big loop south/north Joliette/Grand-Mère/Mattawin/St-Zenon .

carte_zps26fab110.jpg

Saturday morning 8:00, -12C under a cloudy sky , we started the ride directly from home. The trails were all freshly groomed overnight and we were among the first to leave our trackprint

DSC02396_zps7552fde0.jpg

Even it was cloudy , visibility was good and it is at very good speed that we progressed eastward

DSC02402_zps09019e8f.jpg

Here crossing the St-Maurice River near La Gabelle dam

DSC02405_zps703955b0.jpg

There were a few miles not recently groomed on the east side of the river. We also saw that the amount of Friday new snow was more generous as we went east.

DSC02410_zps9ac3c6c6.jpg

But not far under the power lines it was freshly groomed

DSC02414_zpscfc400f7.jpg

We quickly arrived to Grand-Mère. I like the inspiring symbol on the sign ermm.png... but yes, having already seen in previous years some clear water spots norther on the river, the warning to remain on the trail is well justified but with the deep cold we got this season the river was completely solid frozen all over before new year.

DSC02419_zps91aec62a.jpg

Classic view ...

DSC02421_zps56907c37.jpg

And we arrived at the #23 junction on the St-Maurice river around 10:30, ahead of shedule to this meeting point established with my friends Coyote and Rapex who themselves started from St-Zenon and ride the #23 to came join us.

DSC02432_zps80d70bbd.jpg

Although we had to wait a little, our friends finally arrived and we continued on the St-Maurice river

DSC02477_zps62f9cb4e.jpg

The view is always beautiful on the St-Maurice

DSC02454_zps7ca8c06d.jpg

The trail was nice and very fast

DSC02467_zps5d209153.jpg

Coyote always as skillful with his Nikon with only his left hand at trail speed

DSC02476_zps0af6c201.jpg

We then picked up the trail on shore, very snowy scenery

DSC02498_zps7cfb7692.jpg

DSC02500_zps7d02a50f.jpg

Coyote on the back...

DSC02501_zpse2ce60f9.jpg

Rapex forward ...

DSC02504_zpsbd3e5bea.jpg

And we arrived at around 12:30 at Marineau in Mattawin .

DSC02511_zpse58516f3.jpg

We had a real great time with our two friends with whom we not had the chance to ride with since our trip to Chibougamau in 2012.

DSC02515_zps53eb0c1b.jpg

Our partners did not ride on their own sleds and were trying two Yammi Vectors, one standard and one with the famous performance vibration dampers on the chassis that you may have heard from... Coyote will make a report on them soon on
www.passion-yamaha.com

DSC02593_zps18b5bd00.jpg

DSC02591_zpsc03f01bd.jpg

We took the #360 trail in St-Zenon direction. Here the classic view of the rapids on the beautiful Mattawin river

DSC02523_zps1336937d.jpg

The #360 was just beautiful ...

DSC02531_zpsab5f04ce.jpg

In every sense of the word, trail and scenery

DSC02533_zps25ca46ec.jpg

DSC02537_zps2feadb22.jpg

We switched on #M20 trail that my friends had not had to chance to try yet.

DSC02539_zps49270650.jpg

It was just as nice and fast

DSC02544_zps17869685.jpg

DSC02559_zpsa6a81ce5.jpg

DSC02562_zps7166b0da.jpg

Here a brief pause at the Eagle falls observation point that cannot be seen really well in winter... I usually accessed them by the top of the falls by walking a bit. These are the falls that I showed you on another ride-report of this same spot .

DSC02575_zps95633015.jpg

My partners who followed us ...

DSC02585_zps5a399861.jpg

Here at the M20/#345 junction where we switched south to continue

DSC02587_zps7e81614e.jpg

We head to the Taureau Dam where we took a break. A big Hi to GTXrunner and his girlfriend that we met there and had the chance to talked a bit with.

DSC02611_zps6a2e0066.jpg

DSC02625_zpscefbfb11.jpg

We then got back on the trail to the south. It was already getting dark for photos , especially at the speed we were going

DSC02639_zps5ba880bb.jpg

We crossed the Dozer as usual a few miles before reaching the Cabanon where our partners were housed .

DSC02642_zps6382dc05.jpg

We've talked a bit before leaving our friends and take the way to return home via #23/#63/#3 trails. We finally arrived home at 9:30 p.m. with 306 miles on the dreammeter. A big ride easily feasible by those trails... a good day ride suggestion for those who like long rides or a 2 days ride for those who want to do lower mileage/day...

Again, we are in the best time of the snowmobile season and conditions are really at top, ahead anything you may asking for. It is now or never to go and enjoy !

beer_cheers.gif

Alain

Edited by towing

Another great report. Those conditions are incredible and it is killing me to not be there! 360 is one of my favorites. The picture on river where you met your friends has that big bridge encased in concrete. We always wonder why all that concrete. Maybe to protect steel from elements?

Another great report. Those conditions are incredible and it is killing me to not be there! 360 is one of my favorites. The picture on river where you met your friends has that big bridge encased in concrete. We always wonder why all that concrete. Maybe to protect steel from elements?

Thanks Snobeeler ! For the concrete bridge, it is more a question of cost at the time of construction. There is just metal rods in there, all concrete! not necessary a good design because the metal rods are protected just up to the time some small cracks develops and the salty water find his way to the metal... You should see Turcot motorway interchange in Montreal... It's a fear to pass there and look how bad it is, falling blocks and rust seeping out every where...

Nice ride Alain and super report as usual you and KriKri are a team not to be messed with.

How did your friends feel about those new dampening devices?

Is there really a noticeable difference?

Thanks JG . Coyote will do a report very soon on PassionYamaha.com

Great report , love the pics . Have done that loop as a day trip a few times .... good times !

Thanks dooright, it's a classic for us. When we were stopped at the M20/#345 junction up north, it was around 3:30 pm and we talked with 2 others sledders that where just arrivied and took a break there. When we told them that we had started our ride from Joliette and had pass Grand-Mère, eat at Mattawin and ride from there they asked us how many days since we had started.... We told this morning... You should had look to their faces, they would not believe it, and I told them: and we go back home tonight... WHAT??? and by the way we are two up on a Yamy... They were stunned with opened mouth looking at us... One replied, Is it a joke?... No?!?! I'm sure they had not believed us but we had a good time with this... though it is an easy ride....

:drinks:

Alain

Thanks Alain and Kriki!

I especially like that out house on the trail!! Great to see some clubs think of us girls out there! Ha!

Linda