Cause?

MXZ700RIDER

I realize it could be any number of things, but any speculation on why our MXZ 700 R wouldn't start. We did not put any dry gas in tank because I have been told that the ethanol gas serves the same purpose. The sled was in a non heated garage and the night before the temperatures went down to -20 f. I assumed it wouldn't start because my wife couldn't pull the starter rope smoothly enough....but could it have been due to cold...freeze up? It started the day before ok for me and ran at idle for about 2-3 minutes before I shut it off.

In very cold weather I heat the heads and block with a heat gun. A hair dryer will work also.

That is usually all you need. If a heat gun is unavailable try pulling the starter cord slowly to full

length several times. Now try to start with a quick, short pull. That should do it.

Eddie....I tend to agree. The 2003 700 MXZ is my wifes sled and she has really low miles on it, but it is still 13 years old and things can go even with low miles. I had a 2002 700 MXZ, myself and upgraded to a 2014 last year. Trouble is my wife has been losing interest over the years in sledding which is why she doesn't want to cough up a bunch of money on a new sled. I have tried to convince her that her sled is getting long in the tooth which could lead to more troubles on trail, etc..... I have our sleds thoroughly serviced before each season, especially since hers is older. I tend to have more piece of mind on newer sled myself. I guess if she doesn't want a new sled, I could at least have electric start put on it.

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

I agree with Jackstraw the newer sleds are head and shoulders above. I se you are on the Doo's but you may want to consider a 1 or 2 year old Yamaha Vector with the power steering I don't think I could pry my wife off of hers

I realize it could be any number of things, but any speculation on why our MXZ 700 R wouldn't start. We did not put any dry gas in tank because I have been told that the ethanol gas serves the same purpose. The sled was in a non heated garage and the night before the temperatures went down to -20 f. I assumed it wouldn't start because my wife couldn't pull the starter rope smoothly enough....but could it have been due to cold...freeze up? It started the day before ok for me and ran at idle for about 2-3 minutes before I shut it off.

An old trick that always works is to shut the sled off with the choke before a (below zero) cold night. Also, running it 2-3 minutes can fould plugs as it isn't fully warmed up.

Moisture difference? Do you mean the air being drier and definitely colder?

no your air moisture levels in pa are dramatically different . The condensation will both freeze and a percentage will evaporate. Very noticeable in March going north or early season when temps are moderate. Just look at the inside of your trailer when you trailer north it's like a micro climate. You gas lines and tank carb etc are exposed to the same. Use an evaporation liquid. Edited by rmk

I have an 04 600 and the carbs has heater running thru it, not sure if yours is the same but check that.

If it is on and you run it 3 min and shut off it probably froze from condensation.

I always kept them off no matter what temps. never had a problem

No offence but if my wife had to pull start her sled.............I would not have a sled!

Get her a used Ace 600 and she will love it, mark my word!

Yes, I think my wife does need a sled with electric start. We ride together and if something would happen to me and incapacitate me, and she would not be able to start her own sled to get help....it could be bad. I hate to think of such things, but better to be ready for any eventuality. Not good to have wife ride a sled she cant start for herself if she needed to.