Mauricie 3-day RR Sun 1/31-Tues 2/2 the 'very' Good the Bad and the Ugly

ODog

Sunday 1/31 left hotel Marineau Mattawin (terrific place to stay, by the way, easy to get to; clean; GREAT service, reasonable price), 20 deg F 360-345 west through terrific conditions, plenty of snow and few sleds. Quick gas at Pourvoire Du Lac Repos and north to Kanawata for lunch. Conditions 7 out of 10.

After full bellies and fuel top off continued north on 345 to 83W. Conditions have now become 9-10, soft 3-4in on top of groomed base. Almost no other sleds. :unknw: but who's complaining? Right onto the Barrage Gouin access trail and things are only getting better. A bad day on this trail is like a bad day on the beach in Bora Bora. 45km no other sleds, sun, 4 inches fresh snow.

Barrage Gouin, one of my favorite places to stay and had the place to ourselves. Why don't more people stay here? It's never busy. The trail in/out are sweeet, service is terrific and the rooms are more than adequate. Did I say we had Walleye and the bartender to ourselves?

Day 2 -wake to 8 inches new snow, and wind; break trail all the way out the 45km access trail (like, this was wicked awesome dude) then 83 W to Parent for lunch. 83 was another lucky recipient of 6-8 in of snow overnight. Hotel Central for lunch. Where is everyone else???

Find out 13 South is CLOSED. Our destination and reservations are at Le Fer A Cheval but ya can't get there from here. Oh well, so goes winter on the Quebec trails. Quick phone call and cancellation.

83 back E for more awesomeness, Wemotaci for gas and Relais 22 destination for the night. Now, I thought I was getting a good deal: $102 for gas, room, dinner, breakfast. I find out not so much, and as my dad would say: you don't get anything for 'nuthin. Gas good. Food good. Room ...yikes! Who stays there that doesn't have to? That's the ugly and all I'm going to say about that.

Day 3 back to the trucks at Mattawin -Mechanical issues by a minor off-trail excursion forced us to shorten our day. 73 south excellent conditions until about Club Odanak then disintegrated quickly through LaTuque. This area received rain the previous Sat/San and the trails took a beating. Approx 10 mi south of LaTuque, after the power lines, on 355 the trails got a bit better (4-5 out of 10). 360 W back to the hotel was rutted and lots of snirt. Fortunately this was a short ride.

All-in-all a fantastic 3 days. North is good or excellent, so no complaining, just get out there!

post-1561-0-52495100-1454529347_thumb.jpg

Barrage Gouin Access Trail

post-1561-0-93664600-1454529396_thumb.jpg Walleye!

post-1561-0-53806200-1454529464_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-02934300-1454529426_thumb.jpg I had a sled here . . .somewhere

post-1561-0-91264600-1454529533_thumb.jpg

post-1561-0-33957600-1454529607_thumb.jpg Breaking trail ADN1 Barrage Access Trail

Edited by ODog

room for simple at relais 22 but ours was clean and fine ----- eat drink....sleep ride ..... dont need much more than what they had.......

bad part was the small game pie that tasted so good ....but was gurgling in stomach at 2am and had to run down hall to common bathroom

this was a few years back

ODog

When in snowed in conditions like that, take the express to Parent.

Markusvt

I believe you were coming from Clova to the 13 on your trip, no issues from that direction. The problem from Parent heading south accessing the 13 is the Lac crossing and I believe it is for that reason it was closed heading out of Parent.

Given there was enough snow from the night before ODog could've run the road south out of Parent to the trail crossing, hang a right.

If there's anyone that can elaborate on the Lac crossing in Parent be my guest.

ODog

When in snowed in conditions like that, take the express to Parent.

Markusvt

I believe you were coming from Clova to the 13 on your trip, no issues from that direction. The problem from Parent heading south accessing the 13 is the Lac crossing and I believe it is for that reason it was closed heading out of Parent.

Given there was enough snow from the night before ODog could've run the road south out of Parent to the trail crossing, hang a right.

If there's anyone that can elaborate on the Lac crossing in Parent be my guest.

JG trail is now routed via another way and not on the lake anymore.

Andy