GT Rider's 2016 Trip

GT Rider

Sorry to hear of the problems. Your trips are always so enjoyable to read and quite the adventure, knowing the two of you are out in the wilds alone.

If you can't salvage the rest of this trip, you need to make another one so we have more good reading.

mike

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a ride to Maniwaki at 3:30 in the afternoon. We had dinner in Maniwaki and drove back to Clova with my truck and trailer. We arrived at 5:40 am. Iceman is right you would have to be insane to trailer to Clova.

It's time to get my machine from the garage and point to NY. I am looking forward to the nice drive to the black trail.

It's snowing here. The groomer left here on 83 yesterday. Dominic groomed the wood runners yesterday as well.

Good Karma! You know it!...

We come across 3 guys trying to get a sled out of a ditch. I offer to help. They were good.

Always an adventure.

Super bummed to hear you two got cut short. Super stoked to know you knew to back off a bit and are ultimately safe! Us Ape riders might not hear noises that "normal" rides make?

Thanks to you and Gemma from all QDR's! (Quebec Desktop Riders) YES! A great report is a FANTASTIC distraction from work that piles up like drifts on Mt St Pierre. Godspeed to Long Island. Here's your souvenir...

post-181-0-62681500-1456597792_thumb.png

Hi Tom,

On the road back from Clova I was beat. We landed at Lac Saguay 30k south of Mont-Laurier. It has been snowing continually for 3 days. Probably 16 - 18 inches. It's snowing now in Mont-Laurier.

I thought the chain case lower bearing went but it was the top one. It made a mess of a lot of parts. The dealer says Wednesday. We are going with a rental tomorrow. Time to get back on the trail.

Thanks to all who posted kind words of concern. I apologize for not responding yet. We have been running for a few days. The iPhone is not my preferred internet tool. I use a camera so when we get back we will post some photos.

Jim & Gemma

Just a quick update. We decided to wait for Monday to see if a dealer could get us going. We are waiting for the evaluation at Mirabel Contant. The machine is under warranty.

Maybe we can get a few more days in.

I bought my Enduro from Contant in Mirabel.

Let me know how they treat you?

Edited by Trailblazer

Thursday 2/25 Maniwaki to Clova.

Going north on 322 I see a sign for a detour. We go down a plowed road for several miles we see no signs. I se a vtt trail and jump on. We a breaking trail for several miles when we see that there is logging going on. No workers were there so I continue I can see on the gps we are close to 322. Back on 322 to local 236 past Rabaska.

FYI Jim....we rode 322 from Baskatong Reservoir to TQ 13 on friday.......You got misguided by the detour sign. I saw it as well and there is a little atv icon on the sign. You just had to keep going straight ahead. 322 is on the other side of the snow bank. I agree you can't see the trail. Some logging for a few miles(plowed road but not sanded) right after the Baskatong crossing(eastern side). Otherwise it's business as usual with 322 in that area. Wanted to share the info.

Edited by Mid Range

FYI Jim....we rode 322 from Baskatong Reservoir to TQ 13 on friday.......You got misguided by the detour sign. I saw it as well and there is a little atv icon on the sign. You just had to keep going straight ahead. 322 is on the other side of the snow bank. I agree you can't see the trail. Some logging for a few miles(plowed road but not sanded) right after the Baskatong crossing(eastern side). Otherwise it's business as usual with 322 in that area. Wanted to share the info.

Its not the first time I have screwed up. When we got back on 322 I could see the trail looked good in both directions.

I took a right when I saw the sign. I knew I messed up when the trail was not groomed and had no tracks.

02%2025C%2016_zps3np4ylpv.jpg

IMG_0627_zpsdqp15pnz.jpg

IMG_0573_zpsrdiptlwl.jpg

Continued

No fooling around I got to work on day one with my Warn advertisement. A slow-motion powder slide.

IMG_0291_zpsavglqw7t.jpg

Stay right but keep the ski's on the trail.

IMG_0292_zpsqts4tzje.jpg

After a small interlude we were back on the trail.

IMG_0294_zps3vxfxurq.jpg

IMG_0295_zpsbngoummc.jpg

I was running a little off schedule so picture time was reduced for the remainder of the day :rofl: .

IMG_0299_zpsividoxll.jpg

IMG_0301_zpskxwjbfou.jpg

I am having trouble posting photos. Here go's another try.

Day 3 227 miles

02%2023%2016_zpslj0nu2nv.jpg

It was -4F at the start. The hotel had been full with contractors. They left early.

IMG_0418_zpsyunfcfna.jpg

IMG_0423_zpsev1ijr0y.jpg

We were on the unofficial trail in 2014. Now it is 43.

IMG_0424_zpstotelj34.jpg

IMG_0425_zpshtltr4ow.jpg

There was 5 miles of plowed road. We jumped up on the shoulder a time or two.

IMG_0429_zpstjkkhwc5.jpg

Then 200k of spring killer bumps. The photos don't really show it.

IMG_0434_zpssk5h9gik.jpg

IMG_0441_zpsmuqzdz8m.jpg

IMG_0443_zps9vdxf0xn.jpg

IMG_0458_zpst3zh9v2w.jpg

What did you use to get your sled un stuck? A portable wench? What did you secure it to? That two up sled weighs a ton....I am guessing around 600-650? Not easy rolling it back oved in deep snow...

We got fuel in RDJ and met 2 guys that informed us the trail would not get better. Yea.

IMG_0467_zpsltonjzm2.jpg

I think the trail was changed up from the last time we came through. I went the way I took 2014 and saw no tracks. The sign for La Verendrye was there. we did get on traveled trail eventually.

IMG_0480_zpsngigjziq.jpg

IMG_0481_zpspac7lnqw.jpg

IMG_0486_zpsaycdqg5m.jpg

IMG_0490_zpsooobwtzd.jpg

9 miles to La Verendyre the trail was good again. Thank you Lord.