chibuagamau loop

mcstar

Day 5

Left Chibuogamau at 8am under cloudy skies, 93 still decent with the low traffic but still no grooming. As we got closer to saw mill the sun started to come out then sled started "bucking" and I pulled over and smelt something burning a little so i checked belt and everything looked okay, I was hoping it was not electrical! Got back on sled gave it gas and it did not move then I realized track had stuck to sliders, had to pound on it to break it loose....yep ice scratchers are at home! I just went to side once in a while to lube. From the saw mill the trail was groomed with just 2 tracks and great. A half hour later the 2 sleds must of turned off and i was on fresh groomed trail all by my self with the rest following......too good to be true....and stupid thinking.....wham! I catch up to groomer, bummer, wave at driver who lets us by and continue. Gas up at La Dore have lunch and take the local 712 to Roberval, great trail and freshly groomed too up to 373 where groomer is turning around, zoom down 373 and arrived at the Chateau Roberval at 4:00. About a dozen sleds here tonight. Tomorrow we aim for Parent, long day, map still shows 83 not groomed since May 1st, hopefully they groom tonight.

It will, have patience Grasshopper. Last time I was through there was a little Jack pine and aspen starting to show through the snow.

That is good to know that there is hope. I went through there in 2010 and it still looks like it hasn't changed at all six years later.

mike

One fire was 06 near Parent and the other was near Balbuzard in 09 or the years visa versa not sure. Was in both areas last month and was also thinking the new growth should be further along.

Day 6

Left Roberval at 8:00, first section till the bridge on 83 was decent but icy, machines overheated till it warmed up and softened, on the other side of the bridge 83 was groomed and excellent, all the way to relais 22, gased up and the guy tells me he will be grooming tonight towards Parent not any good to us!. From relay 22 to windigo intersection trail is pretty shot, it gets better as you go more west. Gased up in Wemotaci, roads are melted all the way to the trail on the other side of the river . Arrived in Parent at 3:30, 223 miles here also town is some ice and mostly dry roads. Will head to truck tomorrow hopefully trails held up down there in sainte anne du lac!

Lol. Guess it's my luck then. Lets see what my next trip through there brings.

Get that Raptor greased up and ready Mike cause we're heading that way on this summer's atv adventure, gonna look for some more shortcuts.

Get that Raptor greased up and ready Mike cause we're heading that way on this summer's atv adventure, gonna look for some more shortcuts.

Thanks JG. Raptor is ready to go, never got around to changing it back to the track setup. Just need to make up the fuel can mounting bracket.

Looking forward to the ride!

The last day was Saturday, left Parent at 7:45 trail 83 was ok but could need some grooming, took 13 down to Fer a Cheval, right before arriving there, there was a groomer down on the trail with a broken right track, ok seeing it going south but north bound could be hairy its right after a turn!!, hopefully it is out of there by now!. At fer a cheval the place was packed with weekenders possibly thinking this could be their last weekend ride?. Had a quick hot chocolate and off we go , get to an intersection and sign says saint anne du lac both ways down 13 and local 228 (I think) which is shorter (per sign) I made decision to take the local and a mile later we are on a lake solid glare ice with no traction, had to venture away from stakes which made me uncomfortable but it had to be that way...I knew my wife was crapping her pants but was right behind me! Got to end of lake and trail continues and is wide groomed and perfect, the best so far, thanks to Club Piteman 2 thumbs up!, ... arrive on lake Tapani and same thing glare ice and slushy and finally at truck at 11:45 things melting fast there!! All in all a great trip, 1205 miles in 6 1/2 days not bad considering temps and conditions. Wife says too much for her!....but I told her she did great, did not complain and kept going!. I cant wait for next year!

Lets see if I can upload some photos from camera!

• 2 weeks later...